Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So did anyone point out to Adam Craig this week "Hey buddy, THAT is how a pro acts when they enter a local legendary race" :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Quick up on the Mustang as im trying to keep things moving along.

I posted a picture of the motor mostly complete in the car spotting thread, but here are a few more pics

ZV8DLgB.jpg

Cgj8uJp.jpg

daMVTdL.jpg

Very happy with how it came out. Still need to put new plugs in it, but ill get to that.... I think the ceramic primer really made a huge difference. Gave the blue a much smoother finish. I love how the coil and distributor came out. Thats a bright red MSD coil that I sanded and painted black, then put the original decal on....The mallory unilite dist. looks like this normally
images.ashx

I sanded the billet aluminum, and the red cap...sprayed the body with a aluminum blast paint to make it look like the original cast piece, painted the cap black. Sanded the clips and painted them with a zinc phosphate. Not going to fool anyone if i entered it in some mustang show, but I just wanted it to look as stock as possible. Headers wont looks stock of course, but this motor is so wide in the 67, you cant see them anyway.

Next step will be removing the engine from the stand its on and putting it on the cradle that you see below it. I got this so I can put the flywheel/clutch, starter on....but mainly so I can set up the new hydraulic throwout bearing on the ground without having to lay under the car. Waiting for my new billet flywheel and clutch disc to arrive.

I was thinking about it...This is actually the first car engine I ever worked on...My first ever memory of working on a car engine is taking the air cleaner off, I think when I was like 7 or so. Back then the engine was a mess, leaking oil from everywhere, most of the paint gone. When my dad bought this car, he had the cheap ass paint job done, made it look presentable, got it running...that was about it. As I get little pieces of this project done, I like to think about how he would have never gone to this much trouble....Sometimes I get sad thinking about how he will never get to see this car finished...Its funny...when you lose someone like your parent you try and remember the reactions they had to things that you did...Like I try to remember things I did that made my father happy and his reaction....although in my case, when I was a teenager...if I was working on a car, I was usually not doing it to my fathers satisfaction...so I cant remember too many times where he looked at my finished work and said: "wow, thats awesome" ....usually it was more of him shaking his head and saying "why must you ruin everything?" ....Kinda like how I talk to Dillion Van Wart about cars now. Anyway...

So the next thing im working on in the meantime is the transmission. Few things I need to clean up. This is the original transmission for this car, I know this bc the VIN is actually stamped on the bottom of it...I dont know for sure, but I dont think it has ever been modified...I once chanced the gear oil in it in 2001, but other than that, im pretty sure its internals are 49 years old. I scrubbed the case down and got the original assembly line markings to show up, im going to leave it like this as I think it looks the best. Cast iron case, something you dont see anymore. But made them super durable
qHMjtO1.jpg

shifts perfectly still, so im just going to put fresh oil in it, replace the leaky tailshaft gasket and thats all.

4SuHSvS.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
do you have a plate that bolts in place of the carb to lift that beauty? i don't see any factory rings installed.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
do you have a plate that bolts in place of the carb to lift that beauty? i don't see any factory rings installed.
I do have one actually, but since the car now has an aluminum manifold...I just don't like the idea of holding up about 700 lbs with 1/4-20 studs in aluminum... Probably would be ok, but I'm too paranoid... Plus I have a tiller as you need to tilt the motor like 75 degrees to get it in with the headers on.... So I use the threaded holes in the head and I'll have to touch up the paint later.

@Carson it's a 4 speed Toploader.... Which is basically what they are still using today in Nascar... Jericho 4 speeds are essentially the same design.... in its day, olds, pontiac and Buick used them, they were even used in Chevy trucks through the 70s and early 80s... Eventually it became the tremec t-170.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Next up....Rear. The car is in a spot where its not moving for a little bit, so I took this out and brought it home

0cDDbJe.jpg

My buddy broke my slide hammer/axle puller years ago, so getting the axles out is a pain in the ass, but I got it done
LRpmNNx.jpg

God these things are heavy...When you have to move these parts around, its mind blowing that my car is like 800 lbs lighter than a modern mustang

ZS4IuAa.jpg

Going to remove the open diff and replace it with some kind of a posi unit
PApTGQn.jpg

The housing is going back to the body shop where they are going to blast and power coat it
01m3VSG.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Great seeing this project come together. Was reading about 67 mustangs in the latest mustang times - amazing they sold almost 500k. Does yours have the upgraded suspension - either special handling or the very rare competition suspension?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It is crazy how many they built, 607,000 in 66..Over a million in 3 years.

Mine is a GT, so it came with heavy duty suspension...which is 1967 speak for thicker leaf springs, stronger front coils, thicker sway bar, heavier shocks...But the design still straight from the Amish wagon era. The competition handling package came with 15in wheels and a little quicker ration steering box....Now all of this stuff is great...But if you drive a 67 mustang on a twisty your first thought is "Jesus Christ! get me to a straight section of road please god!"

I remember once...Myself, @gtluke and our friend Nathan drove our cars from Nates shop in Blairstown to Island dragway...via all of the back roads....We were going like slightly over the speed limit, but certainly not fast...I remember how when my 67 would enter a turn....as you increased the level of steering, you can start to feel the rearend sort of twist itself in the leaf springs. It gives the car a bit of a rear wheel steering feel...its pretty scary if you just hopped out of your modern car. But thats what makes it so fun.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Speaking of suspension.. Did you mention what you're doing with it? Any upgrades - hotchkis?
Leaving it completely stock...replacing all of the original stuff with new stock components...Control arms, springs, etc....All of those tubular control arms, poly bushings, bigger sway bars, etc...Complete waste of time unless you are going to totally reinforce what you are attaching them too. In the case of a 67 mustang, the platform is first problem, the second is the suspension design. To make it handle you need to fully reinforce the chassis, then switch the front end to a mustang II style, rear to some kind of a 4 link...All of which costs a fortune. Not worth it, take that money and buy a miata for days you want to rip around corners.

Mountain Bike Mike

I found a kit that is like $250 with everything to change them to discs...might do that.

Were there any Ford OE rear disk options in 67? Not necessarily for a mustang, but maybe another car..

short story.. My Uncle has a 67 Chevelle SS Convertible. His did not come from the factory with disks but he found out that disks were a dealer order option so he spent years hunting down all the hardware. When he restores the car, it will have disk brakes that are somewhat correct for the year.

Mountain Bike Mike

Were there any Ford OE rear disk options in 67? Not necessarily for a mustang, but maybe another car..

short story.. My Uncle has a 67 Chevelle SS Convertible. His did not come from the factory with disks but he found out that disks were a dealer order option so he spent years hunting down all the hardware. When he restores the car, it will have disk brakes that are somewhat correct for the year.

Found this and on page 19.. Looks like all V8 cars came standard with power disk.. assuming that is front only..

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yes, one car with a ford emblem...the Shelby Cobra...wasnt exactly a ford rearend though :)
25670d1431569451-jag-irs-shock-options-jag_irs_ppmc.jpg

I guess technically the Ford GT too.

But to your point...to make it factory...there is only one car that A. had a 9" ford rear end B. Came from the factory with rear disc brakes. After this car, ford switched to the 8.8

Behold the 1977 Lincoln versailles....this car sucked so bad, that when you google it...pictures of the rearend are the top results
lincoln-versailles-2.jpg

Mountain Bike Mike

LOL - I stand corrected... The rear disk brake in 67 was for the corvette. The brakes my uncle has are for the 67 Corvette. Was not a dealer option for the Chevelle in 67.

Top Bottom