Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

Spent a little time last night working on the motor and such....Eventually my goal for the motor is for it to appear as close to factory stock as I can reasonably do. I say reasonably bc I am NOT going to drop $750 for an original NOS (new old stock) factory ignition coil just so that I could get an extra point at a car show, etc. But im going to match the original colors and paint everything as it would have left the factory.

I had the guys at the shop sandblast a few parts for me last week...
UEzApwV.jpg

Took some searching around, but I found the right versions of ford engine blue (there are actually many shades of this same color) and the correct satin black.

Ecw4sDO.jpg

Eastwood had this nice aluminum blast paint that made the alternator look nice again.

9QJ6bkp.jpg

Im going to make a stencil and mimic the original "autolite" stamp...which is cheaper then buying a $400 replica alternator. I need to also paint the plates in a bronze color....goal is to make it look like this...again, I can but this...but to me its not a wise use of $400.
C6AF-10300-C_Autolite_Alternator.png

I needed to paint the front end of the engine before mounting the waterpump as I wouldnt be able to get to the timing cover after it was mounted. Now that this is mounted, ill paint everything else at once so all of the hardware is also blue.

9KPD5r7.jpg

Last edited:
can not see your pictures! except the alternator......is it because of russell wilson?

Valve covers? Period correct "hot rod"? Mickey Thompson
No my goal is to make this motor look 100% factory stock. I mean anyone who really knows what they are looking at would notice the edelbrock intake and the mallory unilite (which I scuffed and and painted to make it look like cast aluminum like the stock distributor is) but I want it to look as stock as possible.

Same valve covers you see in the picture, just new ones. Those are 50 yr old originals and the chrome is beat, but bigger problem is they are warped and I cant get them to stop leaking. Thankfully ford started remaking these again
6.jpg

The headers are getting sandblasted and recoated with hi temp powder coating I think...not sure how hes doing it...but he is going to make them cast iron grey for me...I want them to look like the stock manifolds at a glance.

No my goal is to make this motor look 100% factory stock. I mean anyone who really knows what they are looking at would notice the edelbrock intake and the mallory unilite (which I scuffed and and painted to make it look like cast aluminum like the stock distributor is) but I want it to look as stock as possible.

Same valve covers you see in the picture, just new ones. Those are 50 yr old originals and the chrome is beat, but bigger problem is they are warped and I cant get them to stop leaking. Thankfully ford started remaking these again
6.jpg

The headers are getting sandblasted and re-coated with hi temp powder coating I think...not sure how hes doing it...but he is going to make them cast iron grey for me...I want them to look like the stock manifolds at a glance.

ok.. As I was reading "keep it as factory stock looking as possible, I was wondering how you'd pull off the headers as manifolds. that was going to be my next question... I wasn't sure if you were calling stock manifolds.. headers..

How long until the car is painted and ready to be put back together? (not sure if you wrote that already, I may have missed it)

How long until the car is painted and ready to be put back together?
good question....Until im out driving it again, im going to guess another year or two given the amount of free time i have to work on it. That plus, at least for now...Im very happy to stop, work on each part, piece by piece....make it the way I want.

When choosing a bike rack for it get something that will handle at least 4 bikes, this will come in handy when we road trip to VT.
Fully planning on designing and building a custom one that I can take on and off.

So I found this sale ad a while back...This is a concours restored 67 GT coupe that is similar to mine...but couple, not FB...It was actually done by RK, which is like 5min from @pearl 's. Not that I want/need my car to look this perfect...This is basically as perfect as you can restore a car...but I use it as a guide. I want to make it look as close to this as possible, without does the ridiculous stuff...Like spending $400 on an remade autolite battery and remade wide oval tires....Unlike this car, I would like to drive mine

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/sold/1967 Ford Mustang GT/133349

So I found this sale ad a while back...This is a concours restored 67 GT coupe that is similar to mine...but couple, not FB...It was actually done by RK, which is like 5min from @pearl 's. Not that I want/need my car to look this perfect...This is basically as perfect as you can restore a car...but I use it as a guide. I want to make it look as close to this as possible, without does the ridiculous stuff...Like spending $400 on an remade autolite battery and remade wide oval tires....Unlike this car, I would like to drive mine

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/sold/1967 Ford Mustang GT/133349

Are you using sound deaden-er? Dynomat? and what about the stereo?

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/19...usa-630.html?gclid=COnIp_uwq9ACFdTNGwodRpsCvg

didn't those stock covers come with an overlay piece along the bolt line? We always glued the crap out of them anyway.
I had my stock pontiac chrome covers, but the chain broke while my engine was floating in the air, and lost them, and the carb.
have the m/t on there.

looks good !!
is there an aftermarket fan clutch?

Headers - jet hot coated?

F0692B3F-48B3-422B-8C24-B629922CFC30_zpssu85njbd.jpg

OEM?
They make those for big blocks?

I had a set of those M/Ts, small block though. They look cool, don't clear any modern/good rockerarms however.

No PCV if I recall correctly either.

They make those for big blocks?
They do, as a matter of fact I had a set. My father saved a pile of his engine parts from his super stock days. IIRC I gor $150 for them on ebay. What was way way better though...in 69, my dad decided to put a shaker assembly on his 67...crappy picture of it that i stole off an 8mm film
Uxj7rb7.png

He also saved a set of original 69 428SCJ finned valve covers....For both of those I got over $2000. I actually funded alot of the work on this car buy selling off my dads old hot rod parts.

Back
Top Bottom