Science is looking up

jShort just hit the nail on the head!

Except not. How many mission failures since Spacex started? How many manned missions? Thats alot in a short period of time (rocket science is hard, but not exactly new). The booster landings are impressive (even though McDonnell Douglas figured this out in the 90s), but no one is ready to risk their asses, or anyone else's life, taking a ride up on a Falcon.

Except not. How many mission failures since Spacex started? How many manned missions? Thats alot in a short period of time (rocket science is hard, but not exactly new). The booster landings are impressive (even though McDonnell Douglas figured this out in the 90s), but no one is ready to risk their asses, or anyone else's life, taking a ride up on a Falcon.

I think you’re missing the point here.

The SpaceX budget is probably a fraction of what the government would have had to spend to make the same accomplishments.

that was awesome, only second to this one in my lifetime.
I'm glad to see investment back into space exploration.
It's expensive, so maybe private sector maybe better if the government's ego can handle it

So that’s the excuse for losing a couple of billion dollar payloads, small budget? If you hype your company to deliver a level of service, at parity or superior to the industry standards, then there should be no excuse for failure. And aren’t they supposed to be able to work with a smaller operating budget because they re-use their first stage?

I don’t think the enthusiasm for space exploration ever waned. But big picture, our solar system isn’t that big, and outside of it there is nothing that can be reached within 1000 human lifetimes. The type of scientific revolution required to make that type of exploration happen is going to come from math and physics, not rockets. Tell your kids to study their math, key to the universe.

Dragon 2 is taking 2 people around the moon this year.
But the same guy said that the model 3 is for sale.

So that’s the excuse for losing a couple of billion dollar payloads, small budget? If you hype your company to deliver a level of service, at parity or superior to the industry standards, then there should be no excuse for failure. And aren’t they supposed to be able to work with a smaller operating budget because they re-use their first stage?

I don’t think the enthusiasm for space exploration ever waned. But big picture, our solar system isn’t that big, and outside of it there is nothing that can be reached within 1000 human lifetimes. The type of scientific revolution required to make that type of exploration happen is going to come from math and physics, not rockets. Tell your kids to study their math, key to the universe.

it was insured - so the money part is covered.
The failure rate is predictable. Part of being in this business.
And they probably learned more from the failures than they do from the success.

the master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Cool story bro

All I said was the private sector is way more efficient than government. If you’re saying SpaceX isn’t as deserving of the credit they’re being given, that’s a completely different argument. Feel free to have it with someone who disagrees with you

If you’re saying SpaceX isn’t as deserving of the credit they’re being given, that’s a completely different argument. Feel free to have it with someone who disagrees with you

yes, don't start not writing like l do....:D

So you don't think spacex deserves the hype?

charter a rocket for $60M ? source: http://www.spacex.com/about/capabilities
ULA charges $400M - http://fortune.com/2017/06/17/spacex-launch-cost-competition/ and they use delta and atlas designs, already proven.

right now all the "manned" launches go out of Kazakhstan - where the Russians can assign unlimited staff, and just feed them.

a well presented summary of the Mar programs around the world

The original space race was always about national pride and no way the US would have never beaten the Russians to the moon without the Kennedy admin support to get there. This race is different, it's about a bunch of billionaires to see who can get there first. The biggest competitor for SpaceX is China, the land where labor is cheap and lives are somewhat expendable. When you have those two factors in play and a Communist government, it's basically competing with the Russians again. Look for China to make serious waves in the next few years in space exploration. Elon probably needs to do more partnerships with the others to ensure they are not surpassed by the Chinese.

Rocket launch costs to be significantly less in the near future. We should start funding for our own MTBNJ satellite. For $10K, we could strap a go-pro to an Ibis just to say we have our own. Anyone here with expertise with solar panels?
https://www.ft.com/content/41572f8a-fe4d-11e7-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/P...gies_to_Reduce_Satellite_Launch_Cost_999.html
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201802/03/WS5a74a9fca3106e7dcc13a7e5.html

Cool story bro

All I said was the private sector is way more efficient than government. If you’re saying SpaceX isn’t as deserving of the credit they’re being given, that’s a completely different argument. Feel free to have it with someone who disagrees with you

Yea brah, I agree, the private sector is more efficient (don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees), which is why its a good thing that Boeing is in the manned capsule game as well.

it was insured - so the money part is covered.
The failure rate is predictable. Part of being in this business.
And they probably learned more from the failures than they do from the success.

the master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Theres another saying that goes:

Wise men learn from others mistakes, fools must learn from their own.

We've been launching rockets for how many years now? Many failures over that time. Yet the "master" still blew up 6 in the last 8 years. Still wanna take a ride up in that Dragon?

I mean essentially what is spacex when you break it down....Its a more efficient version of NASA...whose model was fine when we had to get to the moon quickly and money was no object. But I believe I read that space x is getting around 5.5B in govt. contracts?

However its funded, dont really care...Loved every minute of that launch...Hoping I can get my 3 year old to sit and watch it again with me.

I'd go in a minute. but it is a total risk is worth the reward thing.

they go 0 for 3 out of the gate -
7 years later they lose one - post launch *poof*
then they have one blow up during refueling - experimenting with fueling methods - kinda dumb with the payload sitting on top.
i think they had a fairing failure? or was that ula?
and the last one is clamp release failure. they know what happened, but nobody is talking. check back in 50 years.

--

i'd really like to see a high speed intercept of a re-entry - rather than splashing down, or gliding all the way in.
it probably makes more sense to lift small payloads into orbit, assemble them, and launch to moon/mars - if that is important to achieve.

what is the right air pressure and tire for mars?

You guys think we actually landed on the moon
lol_vladimir_putin.gif

SpaceX tomorrow (wednesday), 9:17am launch time. it goes or doesn't. no delay.

It is reported that they may try to catch the fairing. I think this is fake news - they may recover it. (ie, make it so it floats)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom