Science is looking up

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

qclabrat

The article is a little deceptive. I doubt 7% of his AT GC base-pairs were changed, that would be a pretty remarkable mutation rate. Its more likely that there was a 7% change in gene expression. Its pretty well known that protein folding in zero-gravity is different, which probably leads to a change in expression rate.

agreed, not enough details in the article and genetics are far from my area of expertise

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
agreed, not enough details in the article and genetics are far from my area of expertise

Its interesting none the less because it underscores how little we know about the long-term effects of lower gravity on our bodies. The longest someone has been in space is around 440 days. No one wants to be up there for longer because you'll probably go insane, and no one wants to risk it since the effects beyond muscle atrophy are not well known. Whoever signs up to go to Mars will be the first real test case since it takes about a year to get there and a year back, and while you're there Mar's is gravity is only 38% of Earths.

rick81721

Lothar
Its interesting none the less because it underscores how little we know about the long-term effects of lower gravity on our bodies. The longest someone has been in space is around 440 days. No one wants to be up there for longer because you'll probably go insane, and no one wants to risk it since the effects beyond muscle atrophy are not well known. Whoever signs up to go to Mars will be the first real test case since it takes about a year to get there and a year back, and while you're there Mar's is gravity is only 38% of Earths.

Eh Matt Damon seems fine after his mars adventure

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The article is a little deceptive. I doubt 7% of his AT GC base-pairs were changed, that would be a pretty remarkable mutation rate. Its more likely that there was a 7% change in gene expression. Its pretty well known that protein folding in zero-gravity is different, which probably leads to a change in expression rate.

Dr clarified this as the findings. But that makes for crappy clickbait headline......

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/03/15/csu-professor-dna-space-kelly/

and i was getting al x-files over this......

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Dr clarified this as the findings. But that makes for crappy clickbait headline......

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/03/15/csu-professor-dna-space-kelly/

and i was getting al x-files over this......

Technically there still is a chance to get all X-Files though. On a trip to Mars you wouldn't have the Earths magnetosphere to shield you from all of the back-ground radiation, so if there was a solar flare, the high-energy charged particles would just go right through vessel and everything in it, so there still is a chance you could show up to Mars a mutant, and go all Kuato on everyone.

Patrick

Staff member

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
man too bad they arent doing this tues wed thurs, id be in VA beach and have to make an effort to see it.

Patrick

Staff member
just enough cloud cover to limit the view. Mostly a red dot rising over the sourland ridge.
Did get a cool image for 15 seconds or so, as the rocket went through the top of the clouds, but i couldn't figure
out how to set the camera to capture it.

IMG_7322 - Edited.jpg

Top Bottom