Science is looking up

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I'm planning for 4/8/2024 totality. Plan is to head to Montpilier VT area, xc ski at Trapps and take it in on snow. This is like having popcorn with butter.

Planning the exact same thing. However on 4/8 things can go all ways: mid-winter conditions to epic spring skiing. Still a win.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We left Seneca, SC probably while the sun still had moon over it. Stopped for 20 minutes in a Walmart for some drinks and I think that cost us about an extra hour of traffic.

Must have been a gazillion people heading out from the Clemson, SC area, took forever to get up to Asheville.

rick81721

Lothar
Planning the exact same thing. However on 4/8 things can go all ways: mid-winter conditions to epic spring skiing. Still a win.

Looks like central texas will be the best chance of clear skies. That's probably where I'll head. Gotta be good mountain biking there

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Godspeed Cassini!
PIA17172_ip.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Couple of things happening -

Tonight (9/27) - 7:44 - The international space station will be almost directly overhead in its orbit from SW to NE - sometime during transit, it will move into the shadow of the earth, so it will just disappear.
Hopefully it won't be too hazy - there is a cold front coming through, so better viewing is ahead.

On 10/3 there is a launch out of Wallops in VA. We should be able to see it, assuming the early launch time. https://www.nasa.gov/wallops/2017/p...ng-parachute-test-platform-from-wallops-oct-3

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
even with the humidity as high as it has been (not to mention the temps, but that's a whole other conversation) the skies have been really clear in the early morning hours. on monday and this morning, M42 (the orion nebula - where stars are "born") has been in solid view. M42 is that fuzzy area just below orion's belt. you can see it during pre-dawn hours. looks like a small cluster of stars with a cloud or fog around them. that's the nebula. saturn is in view too, just under the moon.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
even with the humidity as high as it has been (not to mention the temps, but that's a whole other conversation) the skies have been really clear in the early morning hours. on monday and this morning, M42 (the orion nebula - where stars are "born") has been in solid view. M42 is that fuzzy area just below orion's belt. you can see it during pre-dawn hours. looks like a small cluster of stars with a cloud or fog around them. that's the nebula. saturn is in view too, just under the moon.
One of the days recently was really clear, one of Thos mornings where it just seems like there are more stars.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
One of the days recently was really clear, one of Thos mornings where it just seems like there are more stars.

i swear monday morning was unreal. everyone must have had their lights off or something. it was a view that i'm not used to seeing.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I watched "The Farthest" the other night on netflix (voyager 1 and 2) ...check it out if you havent seen it already. Really well done..
I was about to click on it last night but it was already 10pm and I'm old. Good to know.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
everytime i see this picture, i remember this quote.

Bill Anders, “We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth.”

1513978973038.png

Apollo 8 was the first mission around the moon and back. They traveled around the backside of the moon, and for awhile they could see neither the sun nor the earth. This was an earthrise over the moon from their perspective, about 250,000 miles away. The sun would be overhead.

Top Bottom