Science is looking up

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What trails are there? This could be a plan B destination for me dependent on weather/traffic.

Issaqueena Trails it seems.

My big fear is finding parking in the morning (planning on getting there early) and finding a good clearing at the right time. No joke, I may politely ask the people in the house directly in the path if I can park in their driveway. But then again they may have 10 RVs parked there they are charging rent to.

Right now the plan is to stay in Charlotte the night before. It's crazy how there's NO hotels available near the prime eclipse spots. People are AirBNB spots for tents on their yards for $100

rick81721

Lothar

My big fear is finding parking in the morning (planning on getting there early) and finding a good clearing at the right time. No joke, I may politely ask the people in the house directly in the path if I can park in their driveway. But then again they may have 10 RVs parked there they are charging rent to.

Right now the plan is to stay in Charlotte the night before. It's crazy how there's NO hotels available near the prime eclipse spots. People are AirBNB spots for tents on their yards for $100

Yeah I have a hotel northeast of Atlanta - less than 3 hr drive to multiple options. So far weather looks good - forecast for scattered thunderstorms and UV index of 9.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

@pearl !!! his back yard is nice! and the rate is lower (unless you book last minute). bonus to have some local trails there too. And the whitewater center.

rick81721

Lothar
Hate to jinx but weather is looking fantastic for west SC, northeast GA, southwest NC path. Traffic will likely be horrendous so carry food, water, pee bottle! in car and expect to spend a lot of time in traffic. I'm staying only 38 miles from totality on a 4 lane highway and just planned out 3 options to stop and mountain bike in northern GA or sw NC between 55 and 110 miles from the hotel - 2 in national/state parks which could be jammed/locked out and one in a local mountain bike park that hopefully will be overlooked. Original plan to drive 175 miles to Fontana Village in NC is out - too far.

PS also planned out a road ride for Sunday's drive from here to GA - stopping at the highest "mountain" in Florida, sugarloaf mountain, for a 20-30 mile loop. Will get 1200 ft elevation!

rick81721

Lothar
I've heard lots of controversy on only using NASA or Astro society approved specs. Is that malarkey or just them trying to make a buck?

I wouldn't use any glasses that don't specifically state they meet ISO 12312-2 filter for direct observation of the sun. The ones from lowes have that and they are only 2 bucks

rick81721

Lothar
In Flowery Branch, joe-ja. Expecting to see the deliverance kid on my mountain bike ride tomorrow @stonewall falls trails

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
we don't need to remind everyone not to look at the eclipse, even for a couple seconds (unless it is at totality)
I'll even throw out that you should keep your pets inside, cause you never know.

there will be enough video, and stills to experience it if you don't have a welder's helmet (ok, approved glasses)
but get outside, and see what happens to the light. hey, it is a group experience. next chance, 2024.....

rick81721

Lothar
there will be enough video, and stills to experience it if you don't have a welder's helmet (ok, approved glasses)
but get outside, and see what happens to the light. hey, it is a group experience. next chance, 2024.....

How many people have welding helmets? FYI most commonly used welding helmet/glass is NOT safe for solar viewing. Only grade 14 is acceptable.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Just wanted to do everyone a favor here in this science thread with a polite reminder I think we all need. While I think the message would be better received coming from Sam Waterston, the take home here is that while everyone is stupidly concerning themselves with silly non-issues like eclipses, global warming, and race relations, the real enemy, as it always has been, is robots ...

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Can I look directly at screen, oar dew eye knead protection?
Poke yourself in the eye to make a pinhole projector on your retina.

no doubt robots/ai are a problem. ai being the bigger one, cause it will learn to be sneaky, and patient. much more patient than people.

If the AI kills me, it's likely putting me out of my misery.

Top Bottom