Round Valley Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Going to ride here for the first time tomorrow. Really hoping it doesn't thunderstorm too badly....

you'll be ok -
where are you planning to park? they charge for admission to rv in the summer - cushetunk is free......

Patrick

Staff member
the gate will be closed at the swim area/boat launch - and those trails past the south parking area are not for mtb (nobody there when it is cold, so nbd)
wish i had time to ride.

Last edited:

Kangdoy

the gate will be closed at the swim area/boat launch - and those trails past the parking area are not for mtb (nobody there when it is cold, so nbd)
wish i had time -

Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll just play it all by ear.

Patrick

Staff member
I'd make a giant, bottom up, Z on the cush side - lower yellow, up white, upper yellow, "red", back to white,
over the top - then left on the cushetunk trail (rv red) - out thru the switchbacks, to the parking lot in RV -
assess your situation - it is 7+ miles of road over the north side - alternately head back, then use the
camp road to get back to cush. the white downhill is worth the climb!

we are working towards making a loop.

Kangdoy

I'd make a giant, bottom up, Z on the cush side - lower yellow, up white, upper yellow, "red", back to white,
over the top - then left on the cushetunk trail (rv red) - out thru the switchbacks, to the parking lot in RV -
assess your situation - it is 7+ miles of road over the north side - alternately head back, then use the
camp road to get back to cush. the white downhill is worth the climb!

we are working towards making a loop.

Thanks! This is a good guide. Yeah, don't really want to do 7+ miles on the road.

woody

I rode this afternoon, immediately after the rain, no mud or puddles at all. Definitely needed the moisture.
Rocks were slickery and plenty of wet face slappers, but that's all part of the fun.
If you're riding a fat bike, it's fun to ride on the rocky beach between South lot and boat launch. Just be prepared for lots of amazed looks and fun comments from beach peeps. My favorite so far was the woman who told me my tires are wider than my ass. :)

Patrick

Staff member
oh yeah! nice and tacky. no dust, no mud, climbed to the saddle from cush using the Z method (about 1.5 miles)
there was hike-a-bike involved at the end...both ways - but had more in the tank than coming straight up white.

rode with the h2h cat 3 19-39 leader. his first year racing - he'll win cat 2 next year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/631484229/

woody

Overall good conditions.

Nice tacky dirt. Dry rocks. Zero mud.
Some overgrowth at bottom of puke and along ridge above puke.

Only 2 new blowdowns that I couldn't clear by hand:
1 at mid-puke. Chest level, chainsaw or ambitious hand saw needed.
1 in Cush on "new red". A little too big for most to ride over. Chainsaw or log pile.
20160726_174412.jpg

20160726_182347.jpg

qclabrat

Overall good conditions.

Nice tacky dirt. Dry rocks. Zero mud.
Some overgrowth at bottom of puke and along ridge above puke.

Only 2 new blowdowns that I couldn't clear by hand:
1 at mid-puke. Chest level, chainsaw or ambitious hand saw needed.
1 in Cush on "new red". A little too big for most to ride over. Chainsaw or log pile.
View attachment 38325
View attachment 38326
I like the look of new red, will need to find it in the fall (is it on the candyland map?)
My vote is log pile

Patrick

Staff member
we'll clear it - the hard part here is the climbing - more tech not needed.

although a skills area in the flat is not unreasonable!

FitmanNJ

Rode out of the Cushetunk Lot today. From that end of the park to about the top of Puke Hill, there was really no mud, just moist dirt, but the rocks were still wet and slippery. There were also a lot of thorny bushes growing into the trail. I had the shears out quite a bit -- after 45 minutes of riding, I'd already been there an hour and a half. There's still a lot I didn't get to, unfortunately...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode out of the Cushetunk Lot today. From that end of the park to about the top of Puke Hill, there was really no mud, just moist dirt, but the rocks were still wet and slippery. There were also a lot of thorny bushes growing into the trail. I had the shears out quite a bit -- after 45 minutes of riding, I'd already been there an hour and a half. There's still a lot I didn't get to, unfortunately...

Where would you say trimming needs are highest in RV at this point?

Patrick

Staff member
was wondering who trimmed! I cleaned up the dead branches and punji sticks in cush. plus trimmed a bunch more rose whips.
there is a hanger on yellow, just below red towards the lot that is so big, i couldn't figure out how it was hanging (it was getting dark)
hoping to get to RV soon. i'm not sure how, i tried to leave the house at 4:30, and ended up leaving around 7:15...

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions