Round Valley Conditions

FitmanNJ

Where would you say trimming needs are highest in RV at this point?

I can only comment on the section of trail that I was on today (see post above -- didn't see north of Puke Hill), Norm, but the vegetation seems to get especially thick and narrow shortly after going over the saddle from Cush Lot (that's where I remember beginning to stop a lot). Maybe you could boil it down to the flatter transitions between the long climbs going toward Puke. It's hard to nail down to an individual section, though, as it seemed there were potential face-slappers every ~20 yards or so. I was doing a lot of stop-n-go riding. I also cut out a small downed tree about a quarter mile in from the Cush Lot (I believe that's called White). As I recall it was before the two rock gardens.

Sorry I can't be more specific...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@FitmanNJ
@fidodie
@woody

Got out to RV today and focused on Ridge, which I think is the official name of the trail in between the Eagle Trail and the phone booth. I set aside 3 hours to try and trim up the whole trail. In hindsight, that was a total pipe dream. I rode from Cushetunk up & over, then started out the trail, riding, then stopping to work, and so on. After about 2.5 hours and maybe a half mile, I rode out the rest of the trail and then took the gravel road back.

I see they have been out here and have put mile markers every half mile. I kinda like that they are putting in some effort here. Big improvement over the last park admin who seemed to not really care much about the trails.

There's a lot of trimming to do still. I probably got about 1/3 of the way to the phone booth before I had to give up and call it a day. As I rode out the trail I would say that the 2nd 3rd...how do I say this? The second "third" of the section - probably needs a weed whacker more than clippers. The last third really doesn't need much. Well, other than 2 reroutes to make the trail suck less. On that note, I have 2 reroutes in mind that I'll try to pitch to the park for next year.

In all I made it from the eagle sign to that huge tree that was sort of parallel to the trail, but was waiting to eventually impale someone. I cut that tree out and then more or less called it a day. While the trail was passable I think it was better to drop it and get it out of the trail.

I also spent a lot of time on that shitty excuse for a troll bridge that has formed over the past few years. I cut it up and made a proper set of logs to ride. The uneven logs and the rock middle off the side of the trail wasn't really a good trail feature. I know some people may say that I am dumbing down the trail but my aim here is to make this less of an expert park and more accessible to anyone who goes out there. The park is hard enough as-is. In the end I spent a lot of time with the hand saw cutting crap out today. But I think it makes the place better.

This was specifically done for @pooriggy

13901490_10209564659849328_3069851194165241136_n.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
nice job there @Norm. I think that is the cushetunk trail. Marked red on the map. Was the trimming best done with a weed whacker(is this British slang?) or hedge trimmer?

How is Cush red holding up?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@fidodie - I've seen it called Ridge on some maps I think. So it works. We'll need to create some kind of arcane naming system only we understand.

Hedge trimmer would have been best but I used hand clippers. I'll try to go back one day next week with the British weed whackour.

Red is ok but too few people use it. The whole park suffers from lack of users.

Off The Road Again

For the most part, trails were in pretty good condition today. Noticed at least 5 trees down - two at base of Puke Hill, one on ST trail up from camp road far side of reservoir (but don't worry about that too much, most people ride ST both directions), and a couple more here and there. Overgrowth was the worst at base of Puke. Switchback was surprisingly clear of briars, so it rides well. Great work on the Bridge, Norm - I chunked a loose rock back into place that got kicked out, making it for an 'uh oh' moment coming from Cush. Nice little reroute towards top of switchbacks too.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For the most part, trails were in pretty good condition today. Noticed at least 5 trees down - two at base of Puke Hill, one on ST trail up from camp road far side of reservoir (but don't worry about that too much, most people ride ST both directions), and a couple more here and there. Overgrowth was the worst at base of Puke. Switchback was surprisingly clear of briars, so it rides well. Great work on the Bridge, Norm - I chunked a loose rock back into place that got kicked out, making it for an 'uh oh' moment coming from Cush. Nice little reroute towards top of switchbacks too.

Thanks! Going to try and get out there this week.

FitmanNJ

Rode RV today. There are areas of heavy leaf accumulation, but the rain didn't seem to affect it at all. Completely rideable...

Patrick

Staff member
trails were hard and dry today. leaves made it a bit tough, but not horrible.
gave it a 3 for leaves.

parked at pickell park today - this allowed for a nice warm-up before hitting the climb at cush.
made a huge difference for me.
when the rv-red/?-white/cush-blue trail connector is complete, this will shortcut the way back
(with a massive downhill!)

Jesseh87

Any other places have dry conditions and night rides are permitted? R.v been great riding last few weeks chimney rock wasnt great xmas morning and sure 6 miles a soup mess!!!

Patrick

Staff member
Wow - PED induced Paranoia? :D
----

did another adventure ride through RV today - again, lots of leaves, they are mostly dry. no standing water or mud anywhere.
up from cush through the saddle. there is a tree down on the upper red - rideable, but we'll pull it one day.
made the cut over from the white ridge trail (which has many impassable trees down) to red - missed the primary trail again. stay high.

couple of trees down in other places along red. turned around just before the scout camp.

i tried to locate the back gate on dreahook rd. not the one on round valley rd. think i found it. there is a house up there running a generator
with a towable RV in the front yard. nice size home, very stylish. no picture.

huffster

Tomorrow morning I need to be in Lambertville for a breakfast meeting. Sourlands or RV seem to be somewhat along the return trip. It looks like the temps will break through the freezing mark by around noon...which maybe about my "wheels down" time. I get the sense that RV is bullet-proof. Only been there 2 times ever though. Think I can ride it tomorrow afternoon? Fatbike, if it matters.

Patrick

Staff member
Tomorrow morning I need to be in Lambertville for a breakfast meeting. Sourlands or RV seem to be somewhat along the return trip. It looks like the temps will break through the) mark by around noon...which maybe about my "wheels down" time. I get the sense that RV is bullet-proof. Only been there 2 times ever though. Think I can ride it tomorrow afternoon? Fatbike, if it matters.

you should be fine at RV - the south facing trails (switchbacks under the powerlines, and along the dam) may soften, but the rest will be good to go.

Patrick

Staff member
Walked Cush yesterday. There is no standing water on the trails, and no mud.
Lots of leaves will make traction on the climbs a challenge. Couple of trees down, I'll try to get to that today.
I expect the other side of the saddle to be the same.

#RideRV

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions