"Official" BIYF 2016-2017 thread

3/11 round valley...MT 2:25

https://www.strava.com/activities/896062046/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1489338665

wicked cold but the conditions were great! riding the back side of the stanton mtn climb was like back country skiing! hike a bike back up not so much fun!
IMG_4803.JPG

3/10 rutgers eco preserve....MT 1:02

https://www.strava.com/activities/894920844/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1489174469

i saw the snow forecast for friday and was able to arrange my work schedule to get a lunchtime ride in right when the snow tapered...i originally drove to 6MR but hiked a bit onto the blue trail and saw a total mud fest

IMG_4786.JPG

so drove to rutgers and did a quick exploratory loop for my first trip there....the conditions were not ideal so i took it pretty slow, but i definitely need to place a deposit in the karma bank by doing some TM

IMG_4789.JPG

I will claim a ride with no Strava (see below)
1 hour
turned unexpectedly into a snow ride
20170311_162535.jpg

Yesterday I was trying to get a BIYF ride in. Turned around where it gives me about 1:20, almost back home the tire place that had my place called to say the car's ready and they close in 10min. hauling ass home, I break the chain clear off in the middle of downtown Clinton. I do not have that kind of legs so old chain or the ghost shifting I was ignoring to get to the tire place. So I had to walk to the tire place; forgot to stop strava. this morning the ride was gone, I assume Strava gave up and deleted it.

And this week's bonus:

Week 13: 03/13/2017 to 03/19/2017 - Participation Trophy week. Since we'll be graced with this bigass blizzard for the final BIYF week, anyone who fits a ride in somewhere in the next 7 days will get a bonus point.

3/10 1:56:41
https://www.strava.com/activities/895257513

Thursday I sprung for a new rear wheel because:
I busted up the one that came with the frame; had it repaired, and broke it again
The spokes to rebuild my "good" wheel, which were supposed to be in stock, were not, so I was shipped a box of nipples only
My "way old" spare wheel with the flat spot rhyno lite and sticky XT freehub was, well, it was what I was running. The freehub actually sounded much better after about 40 miles.

SO all of the above, plus I was told the new one was Dope AF (which it is,) and I rarely spring for anything nice for myself. Gotta do that more.... Took it for the first spin on Friday and... it spins. NICE.

3/11 2:16:14
https://www.strava.com/activities/896527978

Saturday it was later in the afternoon, and the kids were into Mater's Tall Tales, or Star Wars Rebels, or some sh!t. Christine looked at me and said "it's not getting any warmer" and just like that I was out the door. It was chilly. I found an old road along the river behind some Green Acres land that led me right to, and under, the Rt27 bridge to NB. No access to the road from under the bridge, so I had to ride back the way I came, oh well.

IMG_0898.JPG

Hit up RUEP for some quick dirt, then roaded back the not so scenic route just in time for dinner. Well, actually 5 mins late.

IMG_0904.JPG

3/12 2:42:41
https://www.strava.com/activities/897554918

Sunday Funday, Cold as a Titch's Wit. Somehow I managed to forget my pack, but not my bike, helmet, or gloves. Also somehow the bottled water I left in my truck was not solid either. So I stayed relatively close, and made a few trips back to the truck for refreshments. Those that had gone before, and Mother Nature, had whipped the Allaire trails into a frenzy of goodness that shall not be repeated until today. There may be more scenic, gnarlier, whathaveyou trails but if I could have rated this 4.5 I would have. It's that good. Miles and miles of smiles.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Last week of BIYF, #getsome

Saturday it was later in the afternoon, and the kids were into Mater's Tall Tales, or Star Wars Rebels, or some sh!t. Christine looked at me and said "it's not getting any warmer" and just like that I was out the door.

Gotta love a smart supportive wife! You know, the kind that realizes you're a better person when you ride the bike regularly. Glad your lady and you have it all worked out. It's been a while since I've heard "you need a bike ride", which probably means I've been a perpetual dick for months. My poor wife!

3/13 - 1:16:54

Getting back in to the swing of things after being off the bike for a week due to a cold. I'm easing back in to the groove and not planning on pushing any big rides or hours this week. Last week and this week are my official reset button weekds after putting in big hours from September until now. Next week, I'll crank up the intensity to get ready for HOH. Then following that, I'll get with Ben and see what type of plan he has up his sleeve. I do know intensity goes up, rest goes up, hours go down as I shift gears and focus on MTB racing. 4 months of training and racing.

It was great to be back on the bike this morning. The temp read 12 degrees at the trail head but it didn't seem that cold. It felt colder last Monday when I posted a pic of my bike iced up. The trails were a mix of frozen dirt and snow packed over frozen dirt. Seemed like hero snow. I took it easy and I was very surprised and pleased with how the Racing Ralphs handled the conditions. I think I am close to the dialed in with tire pressure. I am running 23lbs in the rear and it felt perfect. The front was 21 and I still felt a little noodly front end wander occasionally. I may try a couple more lbs to see if it gets rid of the noodle wander feel but doesn't get all pogo'ee. Yep, these are official technical terms.

NOODLE WANDER
POGO'EE

With snow happening tonight, I am planning on dialing in my suspension. It's probably 80% which is fine for JRA but when it's time to push the boundaries, I need that shit on point. The rear feels too soft, the front is too jittery and overall both front and back are not in sync which makes the bike feel unstable in the front end at high speeds in tech and the rear feels like I'm dragging something instead of the usual progressive acceleration feeling. I've been meaning to rebuild the shock but haven't taken time to tear it apart. I guess it's time. I also have a pile of brand new drivetrain parts I plan swapping as soon as the conditions turn to good weather conditions. Some things are weight savers, minor tweaks that I've been looking forward to doing.

Anyway - here are some pics

311996EF-99AD-49BE-B27C-F71EE6D942A5_zps1xaggbr3.jpg

A76EAFAF-AD16-4DA7-8D48-6735E39F7A73_zpsur7fnetl.jpg

681C93AB-5D38-40E4-8AB9-3CE6884F96EC_zpsxgwbecky.jpg

F0DBBC3B-225A-4EAB-9A89-F0383641D221_zpsshwjrcv9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom