official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I slowed down a bit the past few days. Didn’t ride Friday due to the storm. Then I spent all day Saturday and 1/2 of Sunday helping my nephew clear several big trees from his yard. Got home Sunday and my wife points out a tree down in our yard and a section of fence damaged. So finished the weekend with that. Then decided to head out for a ride today and spent the better part of that ride playing “pick up sticks” every 50 feet at Goosepond Mountain State Park.

No pics from today’s ride so I’ll give you a couple pics from my nephews mess...

703AD7DC-DAE0-4061-9C59-1468F89C3BB7.jpeg
CAF2486A-CEDA-4926-A673-1B334628D838.jpeg

I went for a ride to check out some trailheads in my area. It looks pretty bad.
Lots of trees down. Ferber Circle is good, someone cut trees out of the way so
we can get there on the road. I met my old friend Nature Jim, many here might know him.
He says a lot of the trails here in Wawayanda are a big mess and need lots of work. He's
also working on a new trail and when the weather clears I said I'd give him a hand on it.
No photos today, forgot my camera. So here is an old photo of the sign on Red Dot trail.
Nature Jim's Bridge. Hip Hip Hooray..for Nature Jim
Nature Jims.jpg

A grey din filtered through the rain-glass that obscures the view.
While paperwork and phone calls filled the day.
Rays of yellow light, and shadows on the floor.
Hints of life, the sun was leaving a clue.

Jumped on the roadie for a slow hour ride around the somerset tt course.

Did i post this already? Happened saturday morning - left the house at 9:45, tree was up, returned at 10:15, down.
I feel some rental equipment coming!!!

IMG_0183.JPG

Last edited:
time to break out the chainsaw . . . if it wasnt evergreen id know a guy that like firewood woulda taken it off your hands. . .

Two weeks to go !!

@liong71er set sail to take advantage of the trade winds and put up a monster week - i think he had a premonition of @rick81721's call out, and dug deep putting up almost 34.5 hours of saddle time in the week, and 372 miles. That was over 60 hours in the last two weeks- over 600 miles !!
@DoubleD25 is consistent so the gap is not insurmountable. Will @jimvreeland ride 3 days without sleep to get back in this thing?
All will be revealed.

In the mortals group, it looks like @Kaleidopete is a run-away. Unless riding is @pygmypony's full time job, it is over. There may be some
jostling for second, third, and fourth place. Plenty of time to attack. Others in the mortal group should be shooting for a top 10 finish.
The contest is about 85 days long, there are 14 days left. Set your goal now, and go for it.

@CrankAddictRich continues to pound the composite group. Look for this division to be very competitive next year.

Here is a motivational image to help bring it home.

View attachment 64814

Just saw this. So fake riding really does count this year? Wow.

Anywho, go @Kaleidopete go! Don't let your foot off the throat now

Two weeks to go !!

@liong71er set sail to take advantage of the trade winds and put up a monster week - i think he had a premonition of @rick81721's call out, and dug deep putting up almost 34.5 hours of saddle time in the week, and 372 miles. That was over 60 hours in the last two weeks- over 600 miles !!
@DoubleD25 is consistent so the gap is not insurmountable. Will @jimvreeland ride 3 days without sleep to get back in this thing?
All will be revealed.

In the mortals group, it looks like @Kaleidopete is a run-away. Unless riding is @pygmypony's full time job, it is over. There may be some
jostling for second, third, and fourth place. Plenty of time to attack. Others in the mortal group should be shooting for a top 10 finish.
The contest is about 85 days long, there are 14 days left. Set your goal now, and go for it.

@CrankAddictRich continues to pound the composite group. Look for this division to be very competitive next year.

Here is a motivational image to help bring it home.

View attachment 64814
fact...there's no chance i'm catching @Kaleidopete...and with the snow and a road trip to virginia coming up, i could be challenged to hang on to second place...

Just saw this. So fake riding really does count this year? Wow.

Anywho, go @Kaleidopete go! Don't let your foot off the throat now

why not? they go in there own category. it is way more popular now.
i should have gone with my gut feeling to start.

this has also been the easiest year to score, since we required strava, and group membership to play along!

Across the fields and through the woods to Duke Island Park I went....

This connected a few other rides i did, and filled the time, without having to get on the road bike,
or driving the mtb somewhere. Still need to get to cush/rv for reco, and p/u sticks.
Cleared some stuff off the canal path (it actually is single track) - you'd think someone would have kicked it off the trail.

This dam diverts water into the canal. The canal originally used falling water, to pump a smaller amount up to the duke estate gardens and holding areas.
when electricity came along, it was converted to electrical generation.

IMG_0188.JPG

Last edited:
I had the same idea as Pete today. More rain than snow here; mostly all rain. When I came into Metuchen over the Greenway it changed over for a few minutes. It was pretty, but generally I was pretty wet. I didn't stop and bust out my phone, so you'll just have to imagine it. Stay safe...

Ha! You missed me.

IMG_0197.JPG

i didn't hear it come down as i went through, so sometime in a 20 minute or so loop it fell.
Why get out before it really gets going? why not wait until the heaviest part. Duh.

there were a couple stretches of plowed road, but mostly a couple inches in the tire tracks and 4" on the ground.
It is really sticky - could have taken the cx bike if it had disc brakes.
be safe - branches are coming down like that storm a few years back around halloween when the leaves were still on the trees.

IMG_0198.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom