Keto

This has been interesting. I just read all 12 pages. I have been very interested by this diet for a couple months.

My hangups would be not eating fruit, and not drinking beer. But it all comes down to willpower. A few years ago I went from 230lbs to 170 just by restricting calories and exercising (did a lot of running). I've been up and down since but have normalized at around 200. I'd love to drop 10 or 15 pounds. I just feel better when I am 185-190.

Is the keto diet something that works long term? How hard is it to stick to the allowed foods....forever? I saw in one post that even @gtluke came off the diet at least for a short time.

Last edited:
This has been interesting. I just read all 12 pages. I have been very interested by this diet for a couple months.

My hangups would be not eating fruit, and not drinking beer. But it all comes down to willpower. A few years ago I went from 230lbs to 170 just by restricting calories and excersizing (did a lot of running). I've been up and down since but have normalized at around 200. I'd love to drop 10 or 15 pounds. I just feel better when I am 185-190.

Is the keto diet something that works long term? How hard is it to stick to the allowed foods....forever? I saw in one post that even @gtluke came off the diet at least for a short time.

Another big hang up that isn’t obvious...

If you’re not truly in ketosis then you are pretty much eating a high fat diet without benefiting from fat energy. It is such a binary diet that a single serving on a plate has the Archimedes lever to throw everything off.

Conclusion: when following the keto diet do not skip the step of measuring Ketones with the proper instrument. Yet so many just go on feel and what is on the plate or kinda like assuming in science.

Last edited:
Another big hang up that isn’t obvious...

If you’re not truly in ketosis then you are pretty much eating a high fat diet without benefiting from fat energy. It is such a binary diet that a single serving on a plate has the Archimedes lever to throw everything off.

Conclusion: when following the keto diet do not skip the step of measuring Ketones with the proper instrument. Yet so many just go on feel and what is on the plate or kinda like assuming in science.

I am no dietitian but what has and continues to work for me is honestly and accurately tracking calories in (eating) vs. calories out (exercise). Doesn't matter what I "eat" so if I drink 6 beers I need to offset that by at least as much calorie burn. That in itself is motivation as working out after a day of gluttony usually sucks balls. It also gets me to cut out a lot of useless carbs because they are calorie rich.

These fad diets usually catch my attention due to the positive side effects other than weight loss that are touted like increased brain function, lower incidence of disease, higher testosterone, no bonking, etc. In the end I don't think any are sustainable due to their ultra-restrictive nature. I have strong willpower but going years without certain foods is basically impossible, at least for me. I am just being realistic about that.

And I am back, 12 days in at 40g and under, mostly 20g range. Yup yoyoed back up to that God awful spot. Changes this time around should make this a bit easier both at getting down to a better weight but also maintaining that. Starting point was 265 already down to 254, these are the easy pounds.

My hangups would be not eating fruit, and not drinking beer. But it all comes down to willpower. A few years ago I went from 230lbs to 170 just by restricting calories and exercising (did a lot of running). I've been up and down since but have normalized at around 200. I'd love to drop 10 or 15 pounds. I just feel better when I am 185-190.

I did strict keto for a few months and lost 35 lbs last summer. My brother lost over a 100 and so did my sister, and neither of them do any kind of strenuous exercise.
Honestly from my personal experience, I never tested for ketones. I was losing 3 lbs a week on the regular, could ride 3 hours in a fasted state and not feel hungry or lose energy so I had to be burning fat for energy. I did notice with weight training that my strength started to go down with minimal carbs, I also didn't have the same explosiveness in the gym but that's normal, carbs are stored directly in your muscles. I saw tremendous gains with fat loss and energy, also how to make better food choices, i.e cook your own.
Now I'm more balanced with food intake. I eat potatoes on my strength training days and it's pure fuel for weight lifting. I try and stay away from the processed grains because they're stripped of a lot of nutrition. As far as beer, even when I was strict, having beer once a week never slowed my weight loss. I found this all to be timing and personal experience. You can remain in ketosis and still have carbs, just depends on what you're doing.
I still do my rides in a fasted state as I do intermittent fasting most of the week, I just skip breakfast. I've found this very helpful in letting my body burn fat whether I'm training or not. You'll have to find what works best for you. Not everything is for everyone and not everyone will have the same results.

Say hello to Buddy. His son, along with a few others, are responsible for the recent proliferation of the Ketogenic diet. And, prolly one of the handful of people in the world that can speak on the diet in very esoteric terms. I ran into Buddy on the UTT.

F6D5C46C-486B-4037-B4B9-AE7F8D9B943C.jpeg

I am Keto curious, is there a vegetarian version of it?
Yeah, but that os taking an already complicated diet plan and making it more complicated. I'm starting to learn about it as it seems pretty cool, but it's also scientific and important to do it right. If you dont go low carb enough, you don't get the cryogenic effect and will suffer in lack of energy. Just seems like a bit of work to get it kicked off

Lol, literally the most unnatural diet next to a living on Twinkies. Try eating something that has existed before the pyramids.
Like bacon, and steak.

Keto is the shit. It's how humans lived for 8 million years. Sugar, bread, vegetables, fruit.... garbage humans invented in the last 10,000 years so they didn't have to leave their neighborhood.

Some modern stuff is still good on a keto diet. Green leafy vegetables, some nuts, avacados, cheese.

The main advantage of keto is the complete loss of apitite and endless energy. But you have to keep the fat content uncomfortablely high. All your fat parents and doctors said to avoid fatty foods, they were dead wrong and are now part of the fattest generation in all history.
I'm recently back from a vacation so I have some weight to lose.
Yesterday I ate 9 eggs and some cheese. Today I ate 3 eggs, and a double burger with avacado and bacon. Still not hungry.
Fat is key, we have been lied to about fat content in food our whole lives.
Do you ever poop eating like this.

Back
Top Bottom