Chimney Rock Conditions

Hiked CR, glad to have only seen two bikers as conditions were bad. But them darn beavers were really hard at work. Their dam is closer to the Logan road side and have already taken done 30 or so trees.
MVIMG_20171224_133152.jpg
MVIMG_20171224_132908.jpg

Conditions where I rode today (Blue, Red, and White) were very good. The frozen soil (where soil, and not rocks, exist) provided really good traction. There's some ice in spots, but you can carefully steer around the worst of it without leaving the singletrack. As a reminder, closure of the park for hunting on Wednesdays will begin next week and continue into February.

Rode blues and Reds this afternoon. Everything is frozen (thanks Capt Obvious!) Fast and fun.
Red had more standing ice than Blue, and I had to dismount a few times at water crossings that were a river of ice. Cold wasn’t too bad with proper gear.

Also, would like to know who did this and why it was done. A perfectly good log over , with an easy go-around, cut out on top of Blue.

Attachments

• 91EB7D7D-368C-463D-A034-114A21898D6E.jpeg
    91EB7D7D-368C-463D-A034-114A21898D6E.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 309
Many more icy patches than anticipated so keep your eyes on the trail ahead. The ride finished up with a dusting of snow to conveniently disguise the ice for you. Good pucker factor!

Yes, I rode CR a few hours after you did rlb. By that time a good coating of snow covered everything, including the icy spots! Roots were slick and ice was hidden. Slipped on a root/ice patch and ended up breaking my pinky halfway through ride. Overall conditions were pretty good for what I rode (White and Yellow).

Yes, I rode CR a few hours after you did rlb. By that time a good coating of snow covered everything, including the icy spots! Roots were slick and ice was hidden. Slipped on a root/ice patch and ended up breaking my pinky halfway through ride. Overall conditions were pretty good for what I rode (White and Yellow).

That sucks, heal up man! I left plenty of squiggly lines but managed to stay upright. Need to figure out how to mount a leaf blower to the fork.

Yikes, was planning to head over tomorrow, think I'll stay away as I'm hosting party afterwards. Heal up soon

Yikes, was planning to head over tomorrow, think I'll stay away as I'm hosting party afterwards. Heal up soon
Thanks! Feels a little better today. The section I fell at is tricky even in the summer - just past bridge on Gilbride entering Yellow, with the rooty drop-down. Even if I managed the slick root, I never would've survived the ice. Now I know why my friends let me lead rides....

Rode Chimney Rock today... It was tough on a plus bike, but my friends on Fat bikes seemed to do much better. I think that because the temps have been so cold, the snow just doesn't want to pack down. It seemed like everything that was on the shady, north-facing side was just soft, powdery, slippery and snowy. The white trail had a nice pack-down the first time we hit it, but when we came around the second time, as the sun was going down, the conditions were already changing and everything was getting soft. I also rode the lower section of the red trail and it was similar to blue.

blue was definitely sketchy on regular and + size tires without studs, red was mostly rideable.

few spots with some ruts that were filled in with water and frozen.

blue was definitely sketchy on regular and + size tires without studs, red was mostly rideable.

few spots with some ruts that were filled in with water and frozen.
Did we cross paths on blue? Newmans lot was pretty empty, but I came in from Crim.

huge icy patches on blue and red, it was fun on studded tires but w/o them... i don't know...
Haha, I was thinking the whole time I should have bought your wheels...
Wasn't bad compared to Long Rd on the way there. Now that ice was sketchy and was prepared to hit the deck.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions