Chimney Rock Conditions

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
uhh, not sure, idk if id recognize you, I was there with my friend, he rides a yellow/black specialized stumpjumper and im on a black trek fuel ex8. i have a bright orange tube insulator on my camelback.

qclabrat

uhh, not sure, idk if id recognize you, I was there with my friend, he rides a yellow/black specialized stumpjumper and im on a black trek fuel ex8. i have a bright orange tube insulator on my camelback.
Ran into two guys on blue at about 11:30ish. I gave way going down. White n orange fat bike with brown wheelz, hard to miss.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Watching strava flybys it doesn't look like that was us. We did pass close by on white tho around 1150. I don't think we actually passed you tho. Maybe next time

thegock

I know T wasn't him

IMG_20180114_104555DAMN ROCK.jpg
Greg, Jim and I rode all of Yellow, ballfield, and the new Middlebrook north of Gilbride. Saw one MTB on Middlebrook and two hikers on Yellow. Weather wasn't bad. 16 - 24 degrees and not much wind. Conditions were ice hard.

thegock

Conditions were a solid 3.5/4 on Sunday morning. Rode all of yellow, ballfield and Middlebrook new trail NE of Gilbride. Good day for riding the ice on the fattie.

Last edited:

billy64

Just got back from riding this am. The majority of Blue, Red and White are ridable with little to no issue at all on a reg fat bike tire (no studs). The typical places that accumulate water are obviously ice covered. The bottom half of blue is pretty covered, in addition to lower red connecter in some spots. Upper red connecter was pretty much clear sailing. There is also a tree down on the first section of Newman's Climb, but you are able to ride around it with no problem. Besides being chilly it was a nice morning in the woods.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode everything there today except for blue. All good. Some ice. Did not have fat tires but it was not too much of an issue avoiding the ice. If you're afraid of ice right now, maybe stay home. Otherwise it's good.

@Kirt - rode the new part of that trail today. Absolutely awesome addition.

skully

OK ...so this might be a dumb question, but with the government shut down is chimney rock open???....and if so , how rideable is it today ?? ...thanks

qclabrat

Was going to do the Stevens Group ride but the 4" snow report scared me and my skinnies off. Rode here instead. Conditions were great in the am. Icy patches in some areas. Not sure its going to stay this way with temps expected in the 50's. Got it in just in time till the next freeze.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1366428958
Just got back as well and it's going down quick. If you're not there already, I'd say go somewhere else only did a few laps on blue and the last lap I could see my tires leaving some ruts. It won't get cold enough tonight to refreeze so tomorrow will probably be worse

Off The Road Again

I rode everything there today except for blue. All good. Some ice. Did not have fat tires but it was not too much of an issue avoiding the ice. If you're afraid of ice right now, maybe stay home. Otherwise it's good.

@Kirt - rode the new part of that trail today. Absolutely awesome addition.
What new section? Is that the extended White off Gilbride? That was a fun trail, can't wait to help complete it to Vosseler if more work needs to be done.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions