Car-spotting thread

Other than the beetle and the Chevette (which was probably P. Duponts personal car....LOOK AT ME IM A MAN OF THE PEOPLE!!!!)

I think the rest....~1925 Buick, 1936 Chrysler, Model T I can never tell the years bc they were the same for eions, same with the Austin Healey.....Cool place for a race course...one day ill make it to this race.

Other than the beetle and the Chevette (which was probably P. Duponts personal car....LOOK AT ME IM A MAN OF THE PEOPLE!!!!)

I think the rest....~1925 Buick, 1936 Chrysler, Model T I can never tell the years bc they were the same for eions, same with the Austin Healey.....Cool place for a race course...one day ill make it to this race.

Correct on 1936, its an Olds

Correct on 1936, its an Olds

goddam...stumped me!

36 olds
1936-Olds-side.jpg

36 chrysler
1936%20Chrysler.jpg

This era of cars were bizarre in how similar they all looked
Its like they were all designed in the same studio

goddam...stumped me!

36 olds
1936-Olds-side.jpg

36 chrysler
1936%20Chrysler.jpg

This era of cars were bizarre in how similar they all looked
Its like they were all designed in the same studio
They were probably all made in the same factory in China.

LAMBO IMG_20180708_185926-01.jpg

Last Thursday at the end of 15 mtb miles. Speaking of Lambos, my car nut buddy Kevin thinks the guys who buy them couldn't step up to the Ferrari plate, "but who understands those car guys anyway. They only talk to her cuz she looks like a total prostitute..."

View attachment 72775

Last Thursday at the end of 15 mtb miles. Speaking of Lambos, my car nut buddy Kevin thinks the guys who buy them couldn't step up to the Ferrari plate, "but who understands those car guys anyway. They only talk to her cuz she looks like a total prostitute..."

Its not that they can't step up to the plate, its the ability to actually get Ferrari. To buy a new Ferrari, you need to already be an owner of several, then if Ferrari "chooses you", you can get on the waiting list, which is usually something like 2-years. Unless, of course, you are a VIP customer, in which case you automatically get an allocation every-time a new model comes out (Footballers, Middle-Eastern Princes, Russian Oligarchs). So, if you won the $350M Mega Millions tomorrow, your only choice is to find a used one. Then start building a relationship with a dealer, buy a few more used ones, visit the factory in Maranello, and maybe someday get "chosen". For a standard model anyway. The limited addition ones require you to be a VIP.

Its not that they can't step up to the plate, its the ability to actually get Ferrari. To buy a new Ferrari, you need to already be an owner of several, then if Ferrari "chooses you", you can get on the waiting list, which is usually something like 2-years. Unless, of course, you are a VIP customer, in which case you automatically get an allocation every-time a new model comes out (Footballers, Middle-Eastern Princes, Russian Oligarchs). So, if you won the $350M Mega Millions tomorrow, your only choice is to find a used one. Then start building a relationship with a dealer, buy a few more used ones, visit the factory in Maranello, and maybe someday get "chosen". For a standard model anyway. The limited addition ones require you to be a VIP.
I thought that was just the case with the super fancy, limited models. Ferrari dealers must get very little foot traffic then. I'm assuming they're just around mostly for maintenance? Most of the one's I've actually driven past seemed to be combined with Maserati... I guess so they can pay the bills.

I thought that was just the case with the super fancy, limited models. Ferrari dealers must get very little foot traffic then. I'm assuming they're just around mostly for maintenance? Most of the one's I've actually driven past seemed to be combined with Maserati... I guess so they can pay the bills.

To get a standard one, you need to at a minimum own one already, then it’s a matter of their discretion and the length of the waiting list. For the fancy ones, it’s even more of a selection process. Even if you’re a billionaire collector, there’s no guarantee you’ll get one, you need to submit an application, which may get rejected. People have sued over not being “chosen”. I used to know a couple of guys who had them, plus a family member works in the biz. If I had the means, I would use my means to obtain a Ford GT (itself no easy feat), because its cleaned Ferrari’s clock 5 times now in 2 different eras.

The dealer gets foot-traffic mainly from gawkers. Owners never even go to the dealer, if you need routine maintenance or repairs, they send a truck to your house to pick it up and drop it off. Lamborghini is owned by Ze Germans, anyone with the cash can come in, plunk it down, and drive off with one (except for their ultra-exclusive models).

It does sound totally nuts....however, I do get it with Ferrari....What is the alternative...Every Justin bieber just turning Ferraris into the same kinda meh that rolls royce's are....Rich people buying ALL of them and paying whatever dealer markup is thrown on bc they can and then just holding them for speculation...So while it does seem very dickish...and well it is totally...I understand what they are trying to do....they are just bigger dicks about it than most other companies

Really they did the exact same thing with the Ford GT, but since Ford doesnt have a long history of selling Halo cars, they had to start with a lottery.

Or you can have people screaming and yelling about ADM on cars....take you pick. In the case of the Ford GT...you would have had a $450,000 sticker price and dealers would have had each marked up to 1 million plus.

sd
It does sound totally nuts....however, I do get it with Ferrari....What is the alternative...Every Justin bieber just turning Ferraris into the same kinda meh that rolls royce's are....Rich people buying ALL of them and paying whatever dealer markup is thrown on bc they can and then just holding them for speculation...So while it does seem very dickish...and well it is totally...I understand what they are trying to do....they are just bigger dicks about it than most other companies

Really they did the exact same thing with the Ford GT, but since Ford doesnt have a long history of selling Halo cars, they had to start with a lottery.

Or you can have people screaming and yelling about ADM on cars....take you pick. In the case of the Ford GT...you would have had a $450,000 sticker price and dealers would have had each marked up to 1 million plus.

I think it’s more about them carefully managing their brand image vs. just being dicks. A large part of their appeal is through their exclusivity, both perceived and real. The reality is that if you have the money and motivation, it’s not hard to find a 488GTB from a credible buyer. You can even find limited edition models like the LaFerrari. So, the reality is, they are not as “exclusive” as you would think. You need to maintain that perceived exclusivity though by carefully managing sales of the brand-spanking new ones. A few high-profiled refusals help this tremendously. Ferrari buyers are also fundamentally different than those guys who buy neon-green or orange Huracans and GT3’s, and Ferrari wants to maintain this divide, which is why they always build a lot of their cars drawing from their racing heritage as well. Porsche is hip to this now as well, and are doing the same thing, have seemed to find the sweet-spot. You can buy a neon-orange GT3-RS and somehow have more cred than the guy in the neon-orange Lambo. Need to do all this I guess to off-set the Biebers of the world wadding your cars and making the news.

[QUOTE="mustclime, post: 802835, member

Half the price as a new vette and half the performance.....[/QUOTE]
Although 4 times the operating costs...

Back
Top Bottom