Building my FS from the top down.

For XC race bike...where I have no use for a 42T cog, I stick with 1x10. I still do not understand the eagle set up for xc racing where you are not doing brick wall technical climbs. An eagle 10-50 cassette is $420, 370grams...an xx cassette you can get for $230 now...weighs 208 grams. Then add in the extra weight of the larger shifter and derail (which are also WAY more expensive) and you will be nearly a pound heavier for something that you will never use in a race.

XX cassette
XX RD
XX shifter

Agree with this. I stripped the XX1 off my S-Works for XX to shave over a pound. The low gear is dumb in our area and I'm probably the shittiest climber out there saying that.

So I ordered a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL. I got a deal I couldn't fefuse. I am building as a frame up. Out of curiosity If I order a Fox Factory Float 32sc fork what part numbers do I need to get the dual lockout lever and cables that will work withe factory flot rear suspension?

So I ordered a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL. I got a deal I couldn't fefuse. I am building as a frame up. Out of curiosity If I order a Fox Factory Float 32sc fork what part numbers do I need to get the dual lockout lever and cables that will work withe factory flot rear suspension?
the SC in the "factory" version? or performance? fox has a fork builder section on their website. if you want electronic remote you have to go to the performance fork. if you want a 3 position remote you go with the factory version. from what I am gathering, you can just order it from them how you want it.

the SC in the "factory" version? or performance? fox has a fork builder section on their website. if you want electronic remote you have to go to the performance fork. if you want a 3 position remote you go with the factory version. from what I am gathering, you can just order it from them how you want it.
I want the factory version with Kashima coating. I prefer not to buy from the factory when I can save 30% buying elsewhere.

So, the factory float on your frame is a 3 position float- you would need to get the 3 position fork. Step-cast chassis, factory series, 29"wheel, Kabolt Axel, 110 boost, FIT4Damper, 3 position remote, kashima coating, 1.5taper, matte black---- part number 910-20-011

So, the factory float on your frame is a 3 position float- you would need to get the 3 position fork. Step-cast chassis, factory series, 29"wheel, Kabolt Axel, 110 boost, FIT4Damper, 3 position remote, kashima coating, 1.5taper, matte black---- part number 910-20-011
Thx dude, how about the dual lockout setup?

Couple of questions. Trying to figure parts out but specs seem tough to come by. The new frame has boost geometry and a pf92 bb. I assume I need the race face bb92(my brand of choice) with an rf143 spindle(I have a next sl crank already). On to the stem. What is a standard length stem? I have an XL frame and have always used stock from my superfly to my fatboy. I am going to use a Rental stem and options are 31mm-90mm lengths with every 10 mm increment in between. It's also difficult to find septets length so I assume on a carbon fs xl frame I would need something around 400mm? Thoughts?

Will list my spec sheet later. Have about 90% of parts ordered/in hand. Thiughts on grip shift? Having some numb hands issues still. Thinking this may be a temp. solution? I used the 1st gen 20 years ago but??? This bike will be uber light for an xl fs.

Dave- look at the factory setup, its basic but knowing you rode it already, how did it feel?

IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4787.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG
3 pages and no pictures of.... ANYTHING?
2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 Race Shop Limited 21.5"(xl) carbon frame with carbon swingarm and fox factoty float shock. Ways 5.05 as you see it with shock, rear axle and seatpost clamp in place. Also has the cable routing hoses in so subtract whatever those weigh.
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 16mm set back(188 grams)
Bb: race face cinch
Crank: race face next sl(over 1/4lb lighter than xx1 crankset and I raced all season with it on my ss).
Pedals: Shimano xtr
Stem: bontrager pro 90mm(130 grams)
Saddle: bontrager kovee pro (carbon rails 174g)
Handlebars:renthal carbon lite
Fork: fox 32 factory float stepcast 100mm(2.98lb claimed)(3.01 actual, 3.1 with axle)
Wheels/hubs: (wheels are 406g each naked)bontrager rhythm pro 28 spoke carbon laced to i9 torch boost hubs(red anno) with brass nips.
Tires:Undecided but potentially maxxis ardent race or crossmark 3s.
Derailleur: sramm xx 10spd(187g)
Cassette: sram xg1099(206g)
Chain: sram 10spd tbd
Shifter:SRAM XX Exact(thumb style 81g)
Chainring: 34t race face nw (starting hard and will back down as far as 30t if needed)
Grips: ergon with bar ends
Stoppers: SRAM Level Ultimate( weight and I want to try to get away from stiction issues I have had with shimano calipers) I will be using center lock rotors(not sure which ones yet but most likely 160/140 if available).
Misc:Ti bolts and carbon seat clamp(possibly). One area I am not going ro skimp on weight is the new I9 matchstix front thru axle as I hate carrying a multi tool. This allows you to store up to six biys and it has a chain breaker included.

Last edited:
30T sounds pretty small to your usual 57 tooth SS rings. SO MUCH POWERZ.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Sounds like a fun build. Did you get the orange fork!?:p

Back
Top Bottom