Building my FS from the top down.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So, my level ultimate deal fell through so i settled on level tlm with centerlock 160/180 rotor combo. Can i use any brand caliper spacers or do i need to match brands?

RobW

Caliper spacers.... meaning the posts that they bolt to? Buy the set of random sizes for 10 bucks and call it a day once you finger it out

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Caliper spacers.... meaning the posts that they bolt to? Buy the set of random sizes for 10 bucks and call it a day once you finger it out
these

Attachments

• IMG_5025.PNG
    IMG_5025.PNG
    205.7 KB · Views: 102

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't forget to get donut (male/female) washers for adjustments.
No donuts for new SRAM brakes yo. You can still put those CPS washers on top so your caliper bolt doesn't sit on it's edge or screw the alignment, but all their new stuff is designed as direct/flat mount.
p5pb11605653.jpg

A bunch of older AVID brakes needed CPS spacers like this if that's what you mean by donuts:
842848d1383114242-help-xt-caliper-rotor-alignment-elixir9_caliper_storm-grey-ano.jpg

Because of this:
1042057d1452570797-cps-vs-standard-elixr5-vs-db5-uploadfromtaptalk1452570797495.jpg

@David Taylor I was just thinking that maybe Avid are actually the same as well since the caliper center line is offset, which probably allows the space for the spacers rather than shortening the adapter itself. So in conclusion, any adapter from any brand will work, assuming the same bolt spacing and that the caliper profile fits the cutout profile of the adapter. I probably have a bunch of spares if you're looking for something.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
No donuts for new SRAM brakes yo. You can still put those CPS washers on top so your caliper bolt doesn't sit on it's edge or screw the alignment, but all their new stuff is designed as direct/flat mount.
p5pb11605653.jpg

A bunch of older AVID brakes needed CPS spacers like this if that's what you mean by donuts:
842848d1383114242-help-xt-caliper-rotor-alignment-elixir9_caliper_storm-grey-ano.jpg

Because of this:
1042057d1452570797-cps-vs-standard-elixr5-vs-db5-uploadfromtaptalk1452570797495.jpg

@David Taylor I was just thinking that maybe Avid are actually the same as well since the caliper center line is offset, which probably allows the space for the spacers rather than shortening the adapter itself. So in conclusion, any adapter from any brand will work, assuming the same bolt spacing and that the caliper profile fits the cutout profile of the adapter. I probably have a bunch of spares if you're looking for something.
Thanks @1sh0t1b33r . The spacing should be the same I guess as all newer frames fit most brands of caliper. I should have my stuff this week so I will update soon.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
View attachment 43857 View attachment 43858 View attachment 43859
2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 Race Shop Limited 21.5"(xl) carbon frame with carbon swingarm and fox factoty float shock. Ways 5.05 as you see it with shock, rear axle and seatpost clamp in place. Also has the cable routing hoses in so subtract whatever those weigh.
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 16mm set back(188 grams)
Bb: race face cinch
Crank: race face next sl(over 1/4lb lighter than xx1 crankset and I raced all season with it on my ss).
Pedals: Shimano xtr
Stem: bontrager pro 90mm(130 grams)
Saddle: bontrager kovee pro (carbon rails 174g)
Handlebars:renthal carbon lite
Fork: fox 32 factory float stepcast 100mm(2.98lb claimed)
Wheels/hubs: (wheels are 406g each naked)bontrager rhythm pro 28 spoke carbon laced to i9 torch boost hubs(red anno) with brass nips.
Tires:Undecided but potentially maxxis ardent race or crossmark 3s.
Derailleur: sramm xx 10spd(187g)
Cassette: sram xg1099(206g)
Chain: sram 10spd tbd
Shifter:SRAM XX Exact(thumb style 81g)
Chainring: 34t race face nw (starting hard and will back down as far as 30t if needed)
Grips: ergon with bar ends
Stoppers: SRAM Level Ultimate( weight and I want to try to get away from stiction issues I have had with shimano calipers) I will be using center lock rotors(not sure which ones yet but most likely 160/140 if available).
Misc:Ti bolts and carbon seat clamp(possibly). One area I am not going ro skimp on weight is the new I9 matchstix front thru axle as I hate carrying a multi tool. This allows you to store up to six biys and it has a chain breaker included.
^^^updated

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
IMG_5109.JPG
IMG_5107.JPG
IMG_5108.JPG
View attachment 43857 View attachment 43858 View attachment 43859
2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 Race Shop Limited 21.5"(xl) carbon frame with carbon swingarm and fox factoty float shock. Ways 5.05 as you see it with shock, rear axle and seatpost clamp in place. Also has the cable routing hoses in so subtract whatever those weigh.
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 16mm set back(188 grams)
Bb: race face cinch
Crank: race face next sl(over 1/4lb lighter than xx1 crankset and I raced all season with it on my ss).
Pedals: Shimano xtr
Stem: bontrager pro 90mm(130 grams)
Saddle: bontrager kovee pro (carbon rails 174g)
Handlebars:renthal carbon lite
Fork: fox 32 factory float stepcast 100mm(2.98lb claimed)(3.01 actual, 3.1 with axle)
Wheels/hubs: (wheels are 406g each naked)bontrager rhythm pro 28 spoke carbon laced to i9 torch boost hubs(red anno) with brass nips.
Tires:Undecided but potentially maxxis ardent race or crossmark 3s.
Derailleur: sramm xx 10spd(187g)
Cassette: sram xg1099(206g)
Chain: sram 10spd tbd
Shifter:SRAM XX Exact(thumb style 81g)
Chainring: 34t race face nw (starting hard and will back down as far as 30t if needed)
Grips: ergon with bar ends
Stoppers: SRAM Level Ultimate( weight and I want to try to get away from stiction issues I have had with shimano calipers) I will be using center lock rotors(not sure which ones yet but most likely 160/140 if available).
Misc:Ti bolts and carbon seat clamp(possibly). One area I am not going ro skimp on weight is the new I9 matchstix front thru axle as I hate carrying a multi tool. This allows you to store up to six biys and it has a chain breaker included.
Updated plus some pics.

Pampa

Nice! The fork looks like it's for a kid's bike :) You can get a set of Fox red decals to make it match your frame;)

That's a weird clamp on the stem on the last pic. Anything special about it?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Nice! The fork looks like it's for a kid's bike :) You can get a set of Fox red decals to make it match your frame;)

That's a weird clamp on the stem on the last pic. Anything special about it?
Integrated mount system. You can have garmin, light, or other stuff mounted there. Also a clip to mount the light and garmin in the same spot

Top Bottom