Building my FS from the top down.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'd like to start my buildup of my fs soon. What's recommended for components? Ultimately this should be a sub 22lb bike but I'll pay for weight savings but don't want the bling price on top if I don't have to. SRAM it is (I think). Do I go 1x10,11 or 12? Next SL or SRAM xx crank? Thinking next with direct drive as I have one on my ss and have had no issues. I am sort of settled between Yeti ASRC and Trek Top Fuel. I'd like to recycle my bontrager rhythm pro wheels but if I go Trek can I adapt them with Boost spacers? With Trek I think Incan ise my current SID xx with my front wheel and only adapt the rear? What Stem do you guys like? I am hooked on renthal carbon lite bars but seatpost is an option. This will. E an all carbon bike minus the seat and stem possibly.

spacers wont make it any lighter. if youre using those bonty wheels,- you already killed the idea of sub 22.

stems- Thompson
seatpost-Thompson
drivetrain- XT 1x11-why? pricepoint is there and reliability seems to be good.
front fork- go with something that compliments the new geometry of trek

spacers wont make it any lighter. if youre using those bonty wheels,- you already killed the idea of sub 22.

stems- Thompson
seatpost-Thompson
drivetrain- XT 1x11-why? pricepoint is there and reliability seems to be good.
front fork- go with something that compliments the new geometry of trek
Is 1650 with tuneless strips heavy?

So if I go trek we will call l/xl frame 5lb, wheels 3.6lb, xx1 eagle set with crank 3lb, bottom bracket? Sid xxwc 3.2lb,... to be continued...

Going to copy and paste here:

Keith Bontrager’s well-known quote, “strong, light, cheap, pick two”, still rings true when it comes to bike components. It’s a very simple but incredibly effective description of any bike parts, or engineered components in general. If something is strong & light it’s not going to be cheap, i.e. a top end carbon frame.

So if I go trek we will call l/xl frame 5lb, wheels 3.6lb, xx1 eagle set with crank 3lb, bottom bracket? Sid xxwc 3.2lb,... to be continued...
so if thats the route, you are at 14.8 then you still need to add-bottom bracket, headset, stem, brakes, brake rotors, bars, grips rear shock, cables, seat post(should do a dropper),clamp, seat, tires-

curious- what does your SS weigh?

also- why gears? you've been adamant about "SS for life"

SRAM XO crank with Direct Sync sprocket - Best bang for the buck
Light bicycle carbon wheels + I9 or DT240s hubs or Valors if you got the $$$$ or the hookup
SRAM XX 11 speed cassette
XT rear der & XTR 11 speed shifter- a little heavier but more reliable than the lighter sram der. Only downside, the shifter can't be attached to the SRAM brake lever.
Ritchey carbon cockpit
SRAM RS1 fork
SRAM Monarch rear shock
SRAM RSC brakes with Centerline rotors
Tires - Racing Ralphs
Grips - ESI Chunky
Dropper? if so - Specialized

I'd say that will get you around 23-24lbs but all the spinny stuff is as light as you can get it and that is where it counts.

For XC race bike...where I have no use for a 42T cog, I stick with 1x10. I still do not understand the eagle set up for xc racing where you are not doing brick wall technical climbs. An eagle 10-50 cassette is $420, 370grams...an xx cassette you can get for $230 now...weighs 208 grams. Then add in the extra weight of the larger shifter and derail (which are also WAY more expensive) and you will be nearly a pound heavier for something that you will never use in a race.

XX cassette
XX RD
XX shifter

Not going to find a combination much lighter than that. Whatever crankset you get, just get one in which you can do a direct mount chain ring. Im a huge fan of the hollowgrams for a few reasons. They are ridiculously light, super stiff, versatile...I can take them off my mtb, switch the axle and put them on my road bike....I have been using the same set for ~6 years....I have just replaced the axle to accommodate the the wider scalpel frame....changed spiders from triple, to double, xx1, and now direct mount. They have been around a long time so you can go on ebay and find every part of them.

bontrager rhythm pro wheels
~16-1700 grams? not terrible. Not great.

There is a huge amount of potential weight savings in brakes, saddle and seatpost so dont overlook that stuff.

22lbs? That's a tough number if you're thinking of going cheap anywhere at all. Just buy Utah's Scalpel and throw 2lbs of lead in the seat tube and a 150mm stem so he can get a 2017.

For XC race bike...where I have no use for a 42T cog, I stick with 1x10. I still do not understand the eagle set up for xc racing where you are not doing brick wall technical climbs. An eagle 10-50 cassette is $420, 370grams...an xx cassette you can get for $230 now...weighs 208 grams. Then add in the extra weight of the larger shifter and derail (which are also WAY more expensive) and you will be nearly a pound heavier for something that you will never use in a race.

XX cassette
XX RD
XX shifter

Not going to find a combination much lighter than that. Whatever crankset you get, just get one in which you can do a direct mount chain ring. Im a huge fan of the hollowgrams for a few reasons. They are ridiculously light, super stiff, versatile...I can take them off my mtb, switch the axle and put them on my road bike....I have been using the same set for ~6 years....I have just replaced the axle to accommodate the the wider scalpel frame....changed spiders from triple, to double, xx1, and now direct mount. They have been around a long time so you can go on ebay and find every part of them.

~16-1700 grams? not terrible. Not great.

There is a huge amount of potential weight savings in brakes, saddle and seatpost so dont overlook that stuff.
This is my bike to race endurance when ss isn't available. Being an ss guy I do not need granny gear like an eagle setup, just thought it was lightest. I want light and strong. I would consider scott but I can get a much better deal on yeti or trek....I don't have all the answers...Thompson is not an option as I really don't want ally on this bike besides a clamp and some hardware.

My XL scalpel is right around 22 LBS

Cannondale si cranks
XX1 1X11
XTR Brakes and pedals
Stan's Valors
Racing Ralph's
Enve bars
KCNC seatpost

The Valors are ridiculously light. That plus a set of Ralph's took at least a lb off my bike from the China carbon wheelset with bontrager tires I had on before. And a pound on the wheels is very very noticeable.

I thought I recall a conversation between you and @pearl where you were trying to convince him rigid SS was an advantage on these rocky 100 miles races? :)
I said I think it is because of the weight savings and efficiency in climbing...ss of course. Carrying 2 or 3 extra lbs up 12,000 vertical feet must add up, no? During the NUE races you spend mich more time ascending vs descending. Now, I did say this bike is for endurance racing where they do not offer an endurance class. W101 will be an ss race for me. I am tryi g to recycle some existing parts. I've even contemplated setting up my fatty for ss and offing my superfly ss frame.

Back
Top Bottom