Building my FS from the top down.

I said I think it is because of the weight savings and efficiency in climbing...ss of course. Carrying 2 or 3 extra lbs up 12,000 vertical feet must add up, no? During the NUE races you spend mich more time ascending vs descending. Now, I did say this bike is for endurance racing where they do not offer an endurance class. W101 will be an ss race for me. I am tryi g to recycle some existing parts. I've even contemplated setting up my fatty for ss and offing my superfly ss frame.

IMO it's the other way around. I've only done one NUE race so I can't say I'm an expert.. but

For endurance races I would worry about durability of equipment (mostly tires) before weight. I remember I was running some paper thin tires and flatted at CR and was completely shook about flatting at w101. I ended up throwing some RR's on that were heavier, but for me, bomb proof. Worth it for peace of mind and I could focus more on bombing descents instead of worrying about flatting.

I've done endurance races on both my alloy scalpel and the same component/wheel setup and was at 24 pounds on carbon, 25-26 on the alloy one. I cannot say the alloy one held me back at all. @jShort is rough on his stuff and I would stick with his build and go from that. If you are trying to reuse stuff you have, you really are limiting where you can shave weight. I would get it built up ASAP with what you have and then see what works and what doesn't. Then sell, flip, buy new, drill speed holes, whatever!

I can also vouch for that KCNC seatpost, it has been solid for me as well. @UtahJoe hasn't broke it either. For me, it creaks a little but I blame the mechanic ;)

22 pounds will make your wallet hurt. The addition of gears and suspension is a weight penalty that I will gladly take in order to have these benefits. As "Capers" as it sounds, I rode @utahjoes scalpel at Allaire the last time I was up and I couldn't tell the difference in weight from his bike and mine.

Agree with @pearl on that KCNC post....5 years on mine now...all of the anodizing has worn off completely, but still works perfect and its reasonably priced and super light.

I also have gotten 5 years out of the Selle Italia SLR carbon/carbon rail road saddle thats ~110 grams...not saying its the most comfortable saddle I have ever used, but for xc racing, its fine.

IMO it's the other way around. I've only done one NUE race so I can't say I'm an expert.. but

For endurance races I would worry about durability of equipment (mostly tires) before weight. I remember I was running some paper thin tires and flatted at CR and was completely shook about flatting at w101. I ended up throwing some RR's on that were heavier, but for me, bomb proof. Worth it for peace of mind and I could focus more on bombing descents instead of worrying about flatting.

I've done endurance races on both my alloy scalpel and the same component/wheel setup and was at 24 pounds on carbon, 25-26 on the alloy one. I cannot say the alloy one held me back at all. @jShort is rough on his stuff and I would stick with his build and go from that. If you are trying to reuse stuff you have, you really are limiting where you can shave weight. I would get it built up ASAP with what you have and then see what works and what doesn't. Then sell, flip, buy new, drill speed holes, whatever!

I can also vouch for that KCNC seatpost, it has been solid for me as well. @UtahJoe hasn't broke it either. For me, it creaks a little but I blame the mechanic ;)

22 pounds will make your wallet hurt. The addition of gears and suspension is a weight penalty that I will gladly take in order to have these benefits. As "Capers" as it sounds, I rode @utahjoes scalpel at Allaire the last time I was up and I couldn't tell the difference in weight from his bike and mine.
I agree that you may not feel the difference but is that extra 2-4lbs some of the reason @UtahJoe is pro perhaps? I'm sure you have his speed in sections, and maybe he is stronger but I''m sure if you put two identical guys on two identical bikes but one has a 2 lb weight the guy riding the one with the 2lb weight will fade first...

I agree that you may not feel the difference but is that extra 2-4lbs some of the reason @UtahJoe is pro perhaps? I'm sure you have his speed in sections, and maybe he is stronger but I''m sure if you put two identical guys on two identical bikes but one has a 2 lb weight the guy riding the one with the 2lb weight will fade first...

I have just ridden my scalpel so much over the past 5 years, I can notice small changes now. But in general...I wouldnt notice 2 lbs either. 2lbs off the wheel and tires? Yes. Im just saying, if you start from scratch, make note of what each part weighs, shop around...you can put together a light bike without going crazy on price.

ha no, utah rode his trigger on thursdays at CR and while he hurt a little more, he was just as fast. not sure what the weight difference is between his trigger and scalpel, but i feel it's at least 4 pounds.

i think you are brain-f'ing this weight thing. i'm all for light bikes but at some point it's just being silly and not going to effect your overall performance. you're better off spending the money on a cycling coach than spending $1,200 on wheels that would weigh 2 pounds lighter.

tuning your engine is going to be more beneficial than two pounds off your bike frame. or hell, it's probably easier/cheaper/healther to drop 5-10 pounds off your belly ;)

ha no, utah rode his trigger on thursdays at CR and while he hurt a little more, he was just as fast. not sure what the weight difference is between his trigger and scalpel, but i feel it's at least 4 pounds.
~ 8-9lbs. its about 30lbs with the dropper post and heavy minions. Which is partially why it kills me at that pace for a hammer ride....but more importantly is the position. Just sitting straight up and trying to pedal hard up hills like that is a bitch.

i think you are brain-f'ing this weight thing. i'm all for light bikes but at some point it's just being silly and not going to effect your overall performance. you're better off spending the money on a cycling coach than spending $1,200 on wheels that would weigh 2 pounds lighter.

tuning your engine is going to be more beneficial than two pounds off your bike frame. or hell, it's probably easier/cheaper/healther to drop 5-10 pounds off your belly ;)
I am anti coach for some reason. I don't plan to go pro. I ride and race for fun and enjoy all these challenges. This was probably the only year I race an entire series. Pick and choose from here on out...to keep it fun and not burn out.

~ 8-9lbs. its about 30lbs with the dropper post and heavy minions. Which is partially why it kills me at that pace for a hammer ride....but more importantly is the position. Just sitting straight up and trying to pedal hard up hills like that is a bitch.
So do you ride cr faster on an 8lb lighter bike?:D

I am anti coach for some reason. I don't plan to go pro. I ride and race for fun and enjoy all these challenges. This was probably the only year I race an entire series. Pick and choose from here on out...to keep it fun and not burn out.
It's all good, just get it built ASAP and let it rip!

Are you meaning to request sponsorship ? I have tried using the hookit app for years...since it was sponsorhouse but it just seems to get worse.
I LOVE the Yeti, but their customer service sucks, especially if it breaks. The Trek store is right down the road.

Call Yeti and see if you can get the hookup........

Are you meaning to request sponsorship ? I have tried using the hookit app for years...since it was sponsorhouse but it just seems to get worse.
I have never tried, but I would think with a race record and some social media work you should be able to get something. Or at least try.

For XC race bike...where I have no use for a 42T cog, I stick with 1x10. I still do not understand the eagle set up for xc racing where you are not doing brick wall technical climbs. An eagle 10-50 cassette is $420, 370grams...an xx cassette you can get for $230 now...weighs 208 grams. Then add in the extra weight of the larger shifter and derail (which are also WAY more expensive) and you will be nearly a pound heavier for something that you will never use in a race.

XX cassette
XX RD
XX shifter

Not going to find a combination much lighter than that. Whatever crankset you get, just get one in which you can do a direct mount chain ring. Im a huge fan of the hollowgrams for a few reasons. They are ridiculously light, super stiff, versatile...I can take them off my mtb, switch the axle and put them on my road bike....I have been using the same set for ~6 years....I have just replaced the axle to accommodate the the wider scalpel frame....changed spiders from triple, to double, xx1, and now direct mount. They have been around a long time so you can go on ebay and find every part of them.

~16-1700 grams? not terrible. Not great.

There is a huge amount of potential weight savings in brakes, saddle and seatpost so dont overlook that stuff.
Where do you get the cassette for $230?

Back
Top Bottom