Beginners group ride

Discussion in 'First Timers' started by freshmtb, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Astark

Astark Whale Farts

You can take the fire road at Alpine.. maybe 25 min up and 5 min coming down. You will be missing out on a lot of a fun stuff. If you want to mix it up in the trails you can park on anderson...take the yellow trail to the fire road and up the red trail to rockleigh. Hop off the trails and take 9w all the way down to the bridge.

2. qclabrat

qclabrat Well-Known Member

@Bernard H voted for Chimney Rock on Saturday, if conditions are poor, backup plan is Nassau again.

Let me know if you plan to join. Newmans lot at 7am or 8am, whatever works best for everyone

GreenMachine, Bernard H and fidodie like this.
  3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

8 am CR as of now I'm in ...

qclabrat and Bernard H like this.
  4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

Is Junior gonna join us ?

5. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

I thought @JuniorT58 said he has to work weekends during the holiday season?
    Anyways, I wont be able to make it this weekend. The kid is getting her black belt in TKD this Sat.

qclabrat and fidodie like this.
  6. qclabrat

There were a bunch in the group who dropped out this last year, where they now? You ain't so fast...

Only me, @C8N and @Kangdoy (scared of cold) made it back this year. I'm glad more have tagged on this year and I see progress every time I ride with you guys. Soon you'll be intermediates and look for more challenges, but that's cool. I'm fine on the beginner pace.

7. qclabrat

Ride Sunday to keep the streak alive bro. See you next week

8. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

I'm definitely riding this weekend... just that I won't be able to join you guys. :(

fidodie and qclabrat like this.
  9. Rollin Dice

Rollin Dice Member

I'm hoping to make this one prefer 8 but could make 7 if that's the consensus

10. qclabrat

What ever works for you, we'll loop back to Newmans to pick you up

GreenMachine likes this.
  11. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Well-Known Member

This was a surprisingly informative how-to video... once you get past the old dollar trick that is.

GreenMachine and C8N like this.
  12. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

Could get some snow on the track Saturday ...cool

13. Bernard H

Bernard H New Member

Rode chimney rock today, and wow. The White trail was fun, but that red trail! Maybe a FS bike would fair better there... it was pretty rough on my hardtail. Not sure if Nassau is any different/better?

fidodie likes this.
  14. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

I would say CR would be more enjoyable on a FS. It has some nice rocky descents.

Nassau is definitely different. Less rocks with more twisties. Been there twice this year, once on a FS bike and once on a plus HT. I think the next time I go, I would take a reg HT but would prolly miss the plus HT.

15. qclabrat

Yeah, that's why it's not called Chimney Loam...
    I have a FS for that reason as I ride there 50% of the time.

I ride CR all winter and it's not the easiest park to do so, but it's close so I'm there often
    A thin cover of snow on trails is fun, but on rocks it can be an accident waiting to happen if you're not used to the lost in traction feeling.
    I'm thinking Chimney may not be the smartest choice tomorrow. We can do the less rocky trails and walk the outcroppings, but will definitely stay away from Yellow and Orange. Just want to avoid broken parts and keep it fun, though may miss some of my favorite sections.

There's a TM at CR tomorrow as well, which I had planned to join afterwards (10am), but pretty sure it will be canceled as snow should have accumulated by the start time. Let me know if anyone is still up for a ride, I can be there at 7am for the earlies, if not then 8am for about 2 hrs.

16. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

Nassau imo is the ride that provides more a “ fun “ trail factor.

CR imo in certain areas is the definition of mtb riding , o
    That sounds good 8-10 avoid yellow & orange
    If it’s too heavy to make it I’ll post here early - we should all do a check in prior to meet up .
    I’ve never ridden in snow trails

17. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

Laying down the first tire tracks is pretty cool!

18. qclabrat

will do, what time are you expecting to get on the road?

GreenMachine likes this.
  19. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

6:45ish

20. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

Hey Mike... would you mind passing the Ulysses Grant to Walter this weekend? I owe him some money for an item he ordered for me.
    I can get back the balance from him later.

GreenMachine likes this.