2017 XC Ski Thread

Hope to head there around noon today.
Will report on condition.
The Hut is supposed to open but don't know if they groomed.

A helmet? Were you expecting to maybe bounce off of some trees?
I was wishing for a helmet trying to keep up with Igg on the blown-out luge runs. Had no clue it was possible to descend like that with no shape or edge!

Any snow reports? Might hit up wangchung tomorrow afternoon. Maybe do some moonlit laps around the local sports field tonight.

Any snow reports? Might hit up wangchung tomorrow afternoon. Maybe do some moonlit laps around the local sports field tonight.
I'm guessing it'll be soup by tomorrow afternoon. Tonight and tomorrow early morning should be fine.

I going to give watchung a shot this afternoon unless anyone thinks I'd be wasting my time?
How was it?

Really good stuff in the Schwangunks. 12" at Mohonk, snow was a bit soft despite rolling and grooming but I was still able to Skate ski 15 miles at a 7+mph avg. I forgot how many miles of trails this place has, more then Prospect Mt. in VT. You could spend a weekend up here and never ski the same trail 2x, between Minnewaska and Mohonk.
They are supposed to get another 5-8" tomorrow, I may come back during the week after they pack and groom it.

20170211_181547.jpg

Anyone hitting watchung this afternoon? Think I'm gonna to try to go mid afternoon
Post up a report, I probably won't get there until tomorrow. I still have to get to my mom's house to shovel, also parking can be tough at Watchung. They usually plow the playground loop first.

Watchung was skiing real nice. Pretty deep but firm so breaking trail wasn't too bad. I parked by the playground and did a straight shot out and back to the log crossing the river. Then did a couple loops above the lake. Should ski real well tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_0253.PNG
    IMG_0253.PNG
    562.8 KB · Views: 6
Watchung was skiing real nice. Pretty deep but firm so breaking trail wasn't too bad. I parked by the playground and did a straight shot out and back to the log crossing the river. Then did a couple loops above the lake. Should ski real well tomorrow
Skiing tracks endanger fat bikers. Buy a fat bike.

parked by the playground and did a straight shot out and back to the log crossing the river.
I think i saw you packing up as I was pulling in? I picked up you trail and headed to the log crossing. Thanks for breaking trail, it was nice to get some glide.
I unclipped when I got to log and walked on top of log over the water. This is always a fun Balance act, with skis in hand. From there I skied up to deserted village and made a right at the top and headed toward Surprise lake. I looped the lake and headed back up to where I parked at playground loop.

The snow was a dense 8". My skis sank about 3-4" in the brown sugar like snow. As the trail gets beaten in and packed it should get better. When we get snow in March there are not a lot of folks who go out on the trails because the novelty of snow and winter has worn off, however within the next few days it should get better.

20170314_200042.jpg

Was able to get out this evening on the Darlington Golf Course up here in Mahwah. Conditions were fast; a bit sketchy on the downhills because you would get going then break through and almost go ass ovet tea kettle.

I can remember reading that the Innuit have 50 words to describe snow. If anyone knows snow I guess it would be people who live in Alaska. In New Jersey I'd like to think we have at least 50 words to describe a woman's breast...fun bags, boobs, golden arches, sweater meat...

Well anyway snow can be complicated, every snow storm is slightly different, which means the conditions vary greatly.
I will say that conditions were better yesterday at Watchung, the snow has compressed more, which means less sinking and traffic has beaten in a good trail for skiing. As temps warm today above freezing and the sun hits it, the snow should get even better, yielding a softer snow with a firm base which will allow for good tracking and glide.

I am going to stop off at Thompson Park today on way home from work, there may be a chance that conditions my set up for some nice skate skiing.

I call this Racing on Snow.
short track 589.jpg

I call this XC SKIING ON SNOW.
20170315_202111.jpg

The days are longer but it's still fuckin cold and I'm ok with that.
20170315_201840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom