2017 XC Ski Thread

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The snow is here, that means it's another xc ski season. If you have skis hopefully you got a chance to use them today. We received about 4" in Cranford. I went to the local golf course to get my ski legs back.

For those starting out or those who want to perfect their classic style I'll pass on some info as to how to get more glide out of a ski.

20170108_165705.jpg

Looking at a xc ski you should note the camber of the ski. This is where the energy is stored (7th grade science class). When you weight the ski it propels you forward, this is the glide. Therefore it is important to be able to be comfortable landing either ski as flat as possible. A lot of folks seem to place a greater emphasis on the kick however being able to comfortably land either ski and let it glide allows for more efficient technique.

So where did u ski today?
Today would have been a good day to be in the woods, it was windy out on the golf course. I like the course to work on kick an glide technique.
20170108_114819.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First. We got like 0.5 inches of snow, so I rode my fat bike. Can't ski or ride a regular bike in that amount of snow.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
First. We got like 0.5 inches of snow, so I rode my fat bike. Can't ski or ride a regular bike in that amount of snow.
We got 6" of snow so I rode my fatbike...2 days in a row...xc is old technology...fat bike it yo.

PRus

Skied today at Monmouth Battlefield state park. My go-to place unless there are groomed trails at Thomson Park.
Around 5" of powder snow that held a surprisingly firm track after a couple laps for classic style wax skis.
May try to sneak out of work for a hour tomorrow for some more.
My track will likely be destroyed from hikers by tomorrow.
I always try to lay down tracks away from regular hiking paths but they always find them.:(

https://www.strava.com/activities/825443956

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I got out at Thompson Park for a solid 2 hours of skiing. Skied a bunch of the groomed stuff, also jumped off and made my own tracks in places. I don't know a whole lot, but I enjoyed the conditions.

Today looks to be good to go as well, before the temperatures start rising tomorrow.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
His name is Jason? My friend Sarah was xc' at hartshorne with him. He's got a pretty rad sailboat I know that!

Brian - he's a sick rock climber/ice climber too. he does it all - surfing, mountain biking, rock/ice climbing, sailing. i met him back when he was running the R.U. climbing gym and outdoors program.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yesterday was day 2 on the xc skis. I got over to Thompson Park after work and met @ChrisG, Goz was using his skis he bought at the end of last season. Nice set up with good boots and versatile skis. End of the season is always a good time to buy, equipment is marked down and there are deals to be had. Or u can buy in the height of the season and pay full price, as long as u get on the snow and enjoy yourself.
Thompson is always a good place to go and work your form. The trails are packed and groomed with a snow mobile and even other areas get so much traffic that the snow gets beaten down to allow for an easy glide. Me and Goz headed over past lake Marlu, then out to the peninsula with some gliding through the woods along the way. Temps were brisk but comfortable with no wind to speak of.
It looks like rain is coming in tonight, today will probably be the last day to get on it until the next snow storm.
20170110_075011.jpg

@Mitch would be jelly of this sunset.

20170110_075541.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
It was great for a beginner like me to get out for a session with @pooriggy and be able to watch a proficient xc skier in action. My technique is still so unrefined that I might get 6 or 8 good kicks in a row, then my form falls apart for a few, then I gather myself again, and so on. Meanwhile, Iggy is fluidly schussing away from me.

So, much like riding with better riders in the woods pushes us to raise our game on the bike, I got a lot more out of an afternoon of following Iggy around than I would have if I'd just been out there schlepping around by myself.

Looking forward to more of this.

PRus

Three days in a row just minutes from home !
Anything more this winter falls into the bonus category !
I'll take it.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And just like that, the snow is gone. Yesterday was day 3 on the snow for me, I went over to Allaire. Conditions were really good to really bad depending on where you were. When it was good the snow cover was packed from bikes and hikers as well as someone else's ski tracks, yet temps warmed up enough to allow my skis to bite into the snow, allowing me to steer and step-turn my way through the twisties.
When conditions were bad there was zero snow cover on the trails, which forced me to dismount or find a sliver of snow along the edge of the trail. I'm not sure why some sections were totally without snow, maybe south west exposure, maybe excessive moisture, maybe bike traffic... or D, all of the above.

Well anyway, the snow is gone, at least I still have my road bike, Mt bike as well as a pool and a pond.

This snow was a good warm-up to my trip to VT this wknd to xc ski. Hopefully this rain and heat wave won't kill the snow up North. I am monitoring the weather up there and my bale if conditions suck.

The hogbog is always a bit eerie. We're there ever really hogs in the bog?

20170111_073910.jpg

cbiker

Nice i got out to allaire yesterday too saw three other 3other xc skiers out there probably the most I've ever seen in nj. There was even one idiot trying to snowboard down the 20 foot hills.on 4 inches of snow.

Top Bottom