2017 XC Ski Thread

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How was Mohonk?
It was good. They got 2'of snow, which is a lot to groom. There equipment is not the best but in our area it's the best option if you are seeking 20+miles of trail.
If u go you will not be disappointed .
Skiing groomed centers allows you to use classic or skating technique. Going out on local trails is fun however it's more of a backcountry bushwhacking kinda fun.

tichlo

Watchung is skiing nice. Should even get better with a little additional snow that is falling now. The snow out side the tracks is hard so don't fall.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess you guys forgot who Roger Focco is? Well anyway he is a xc ski junkie like myself, it was a nice surprise seeing him yesterday at High Point. We skied together, then he had to bail. I made 6er ski another loop with me, we got in a total of 15 miles. 6er kicked ass on skate skis, he seems to attack anything he does, which is so awesome.

Conditions were ok for groomed trails. Without a snowcat/piston bulley, trying to groom 2' of snow is somewhat overwhelming. It was still good enough for skating imo. When it comes to rating the quality of groomed trails it's kinda like critiquing receiving oral sex...at the end of the day you are still getting a blow job, so how bad can it be.

I got over to the local golf course this morning. The magic hour for skate skiing happened around 9:30 and lasted until about 11:30. There is something very satisfying in getting out to skate locally, conditions like this don't happen a lot, but when they do it feels so good.

20170319_121327.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How is 26er never cold? He rode Stephens a while back in the middle of the winter in a short sleeve race kit.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so after i posted the 'i wish my knee was up for XC skiing', i decided that my knee was being a weak bitch and i was gonna ski. since that post i got out four times and put in a little over 12 miles of full-on 'backcountry' Goat Style. i stayed completely in Roxbury and the first two days managed almost 7 miles not utilizing a single trail twice - maybe a little connect but that was about it. a lot of it was trail i built which, a lot of it is what i'd like to build. from that perspective, it's very encouraging to think there could be a 7 mile loop just in Veteran's Park...and probably close to 10 total miles of trail that can be built in town.

today's conditions were the elusive "magic snow"...which is absolutely brilliant for bikes but straight up terrifying (at least for me) on the XC Skis. ran by Dickerson and it looks like they got in there with the snowmobile so i may try to hit that early tomorrow am. you know, because fat bikes.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
today's conditions were the elusive "magic snow"...which is absolutely brilliant for bikes but straight up terrifying (at least for me) on the XC Skis.
I will say that you were not on Magic snow. Magic snow for xc skiing must fulfill 2 requirements.
1- snow must be firm enough so as not to sink skis below the surface.
2- snow must be soft enough on surface for ski to bite into, this allows a ski to track. Tracking allows for the ability to ski in control.

Jake, you were on snow that was firm but not track able. See my last pic above, this is an illustration of magic snow. Magic snow occurs approximately 9ish to 11ish. Typically the snow freezes overnight with cold temps then softens once the sun hits it. The goal is to get on it when it softens but not too soft so as not to sink.

Glad to hear your knee was healthy enough for xc skiing.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How is 26er never cold? He rode Stephens a while back in the middle of the winter in a short sleeve race kit.
It's all about the base... Layer. As long as the hands and feet are warm the core stays warm. And back hair helps.

Luckily I'm in race shape or there's no way of keeping iggs in sight on skate skis. Dude is like Dorothy Hamill out there, but skinnier

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1- snow must be firm enough so as not to sink skis below the surface.
2- snow must be soft enough on surface for ski to bite into, this allows a ski to track. Tracking allows for the ability to ski in control.

well, requirement 1 was for sure met. i didn't drop down even once. as far as soft enough to bite...well, that's a whole different story. side hilling was an exercise in sliding and tree avoidance.

Top Bottom