Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Now Saturday was a real fun day. It was Bubblecross day. I headed out riding early, 7AM and rode from downtown West Milford over to Bubblecross.
Road riding is not my favorite, just because of the traffic. It seemed the bigger and louder the pickup truck was the closer it got to me in my bike lane.
It was all uphill to the event. As the day went on it seemed to get colder, with a little rain. It was a real fun event though. Some great effort put in by
the racers in the slightly muddy conditions. When I left to ride back, it was all downhill anyway but traffic was heavier. I got home and put my bike stuff
away and then headed out to a biker (motorcycle gang) party with some friends. Boy, these guys sure can party! There was more testosterone there than
at the Super bowl. All you can eat buffet, and plenty of beer and bikes and booze and women and live music all in the large smoke filled room. I only ever
do one or two of these parties every year any more, but it’s good to see old friends and reminisce. Daylight savings gave me an extra hour of sleep this
morning which was nice. Then I hit the park and had a nice 12.5 mile ride. Boy the trails are wet. Then it was over to the Pumpjam event for entertainment
and free pizza and I wasn’t disappointed with any of it. Zoe was there along with lots of others enjoying the day. Sometimes too many fun things happen all
in the same weekend. Exhausted.

Bubblecross link to more photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/LRvTWGvgCqCKugMVA
Bubble18_21.jpg

Biker party
cl 45_06.jpg

cl 45_04.jpg

Pumpjam 2018 link to more photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/kUZDxUatMmEy1P
Pumpjam09.jpg

Last edited:
A nice cool start to my ride today at 29°. Got out early at about 6:45. Sometimes I don't know where I'm
going to ride, you know, which trails I want to do, until I get there. So today I took a turn down Sitting Bear
trail, and wouldn't you know, I came upon a tree across the trail. Guess it was meant to be. So my saw made
short work of it and I rode on. Here are some photos of the trail.

SittingBr03.jpg

sb01.jpg

sb2.jpg

SittingBr05.jpg

SittingBr04.jpg

SittingBr02.jpg

Two things I want to do today, go to the Ramstein Brewery for their introduction of Winter Wheat.
I also will ride Silas Condict park in Morris County. The park is quite unimpressive, small with only
about 2.5 miles of bike trails, but it has a great overlook. I rode the Red trail which is gravel they have
put down and about ten feet wide. There were some hikers, but not many. As usual, I lost the trail and
was on some nice singletrack with small rock gardens. I did see a White marker though and then I lost
that trail and saw no more markers. I headed back and took another turn that dropped me back in the
parking lot. I think that was the extent of the Red Trail. Then I took the Blue Trail that goes to the over look,
it’s an out and back ride. That had some hike a bike for me, but it was nice to get to the overlook.
Now it was off to the Ramstein Brewery, only about two miles away. They give you two tickets for two free 5oz. beer.
Then you buy the rest. I met some bikers that rode over from Denville, about 15 miles away. The leader Pete knows @MissJR
Pete had his father ride along with the group, a nice guy, even older than me! I think there were six in his group.
There was a good turnout at the event, live music and some food. I didn’t hang around too long and headed home.
A nice fun day.
Kind of open woods trails (like...where da hell is da trail?)
SilasC01.jpg

nice overlook
SilasC07.jpg

single track
SilasC09.jpg

Ramstn01.jpg

Pete's father
Ramstn11.jpg

Ramstn04.jpg

Pete on the left
Ramstn10.jpg

Last edited:
Got some snow shoveled today and then headed out to the park. It was closed to traffic, but I got to bike ride.
The snow was too deep for serious riding, to exhausting. I got some miles in and called it quits, to go back home and
shovel more snow.
fst snow09.jpg

did not even prop the bike up, it just stayed there
fst snow01.jpg
fst snow02.jpg
fst snow03.jpg
fst snow04.jpg
fst snow05.jpg
fst snow06.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I forgot to ask you, was sunday some kind of motorcycle rally day? They were everywhere. I was getting harassed by this one gang of hooligans - they called themselves the Blue Knights or something like that
I think it was just a nice day and everyone was out. Blue Knights are cops.

Global Fat Bike Day was celebrated in New Jersey at Sandy Hook, hosted by Jim Vreeland. We had a great group of about 18 riders.
The weather was great and the park rangers were friendly. The ride was to be 6 miles up the beach and then 6 miles back on the bike bath.
We took off at about 10AM. Of coarse I quickly fell back to the rear, but Tom graciously rode along with me. About 2 miles in the group
stopped and waited for me and Tom, and Jim asked if everything was alright. We moved on. I was in full power race mode at about 4 to 5 mph.
At 4 miles I knew I wasn’t going to make the 6 miles as planned. I’d been giving it all I had for an hour straight with no stops or a rest.
The group would wait for us to catch up and as soon as we did they were off again. So at 4 miles I took a bail out trail to the bike path.
From there I headed North to meet up with the group and ride back with them on the bike path. This worked out fine for me and the group too,
they could ride without waiting for the straggler, and I had a great time and saw a lot of cool things on the ride. Old army stuff and buildings.
My bike was making strange grinding sounds from the sandy slurp on the drivetrain.
I got to wash that off today in Wawayanda at 7 AM.
The rain was coming down pretty steady and the puddles were larger than usual. There was a CX race today in the park and it looked pretty
miserable. 38° and raining. The coarse was wet and muddy, but the riders were gung ho and riding hard. I didn’t stick around too long because
after 2 hours on my morning ride in the damp cold rain, my toast and coffee was calling me home.

FatBike Day18.jpg

FatBike Day20.jpg

my bail out route
FatBike Day04.jpg

Tom
FatBike Day17.jpg

FatBike Day14.jpg

Wawayanda racers
x race08.jpg

x race06.jpg

Great seeing you again and riding the ocean side up through the clothing optional beach. The high 40's in the sun was an improvement from the forecast weather for a beach ride. The lowish tide also helped with some of the ocean and bay sections of the beach being more rideable.

I gave Mrs. G her shells last night on the way home from dinner. My only regret in not nabbing that rhinocerus from the beach:

1543766272769.png

I'm so glad I found this thread. Pete, I also live right by Wawayanda over on Shadyside Rd. Bought a house over there in June 2017. I think I met you while I was out riding during the Bearscat 50 somewhere on Cherry Ridge Rd. I ride in there all the time and I'm pretty familiar with the trails off Wayside by the sand pit. Gary is my neighbor and he does some great work in there. I haven't done a whole lot of building, but I love those trails so I try to clean them up as much as I can.

This thread is awesome, your bike stoke is infectious and it's great to see you posting updates frequently. I haven't been riding in Wawayanda nearly as long as you have, but it's been about 15 years of riding in there for me. I've only seen a bobcat once in all that time, and it was only for a split-second. I can't believe you actually got a few pictures of them!

Hope to run into you again soon! Either by bike or when I'm out hiking with my dogs.

Yes, we did meet once before. I live in your same neighborhood. I've only been riding 5 years, but I hiked there long before that.
I know Gary too, for a long long time, and yes, his trails are awesome, a little too tough for me, but I enjoy them just the same.
I'm glad you enjoyed my thread.

Back
Top Bottom