Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

Today it didn't start raining until I got to the park to start my ride, then it rained pretty steady
throughout my 110 minute ride. Again I was alone in the park, except for some campers from yesterday.
They thought they were drying out their stuff, but they were still asleep and didn't hear the rain I guess.

campers57.jpg

Kaleidopete

So it was off to Port Jervis today for the H2H Point Peter Pounder race. It was supposed to be cloudy in the morning and rain late morning and early afternoon, but I canceled that by bringing all my rain gear along. It was great seeing everyone there, more peeps than I thought I knew! I rode around a little on the Softride and took some photos. Then it was off to town for some sightseeing. I went by the old railroad turn style and saw some old locomotives and cars. Then I rode the D&H Canal trail along the old canal. I was disappointed they blocked it off at the end and it didn’t let it follow through to the road, so it was an in and out ride. Then I got a slice of pizza next to the brewery, I like that place. Then I hit the brewery to wash it down with a beer. There at the bar was a jogger (Jim) I know from Wawayanda, small world. After the beer I headed out to see the “Tri-State Marker”, a stone that marks where all three states merge. So I got a photo of my Softride in all three states at once. To get there it is a ride through the Laurel Cemetery out to the far end where the Neversink and Delaware rivers meet. Then I rode back to the brewery for one more beer. Jim was still there and some other racers from today’s event were there too. All in all it was a great day out.

Race
Peter Pounder05.jpg

Tristate Monu01.jpg

Tristate Monu06.jpg

D&H Canal02.jpg

Railway yard06.jpg

Kaleidopete

Finally a nice sunny day. I rode up the Wingdam trail and took the cutoff onto Sitting Bear trail.
Wow, that is nicely overgrown with laurel. Then I came to a tree down, not blocking the trail, but
it took out some smaller trees that I had to clear from blocking the trail. Then I rode up to the lake.

Sitting Bear Trail
sat bear03.jpg

Lake area
beach20.jpg

shroom
mshrom9.jpg

Kaleidopete

Today I rode in the Ramapo Rally. just to try something different. I brought the Softride bike because it has street tires on it and it’s an unusual bike that I thought everyone would like to see. I was signed up for the small twelve mile ride because I wasn’t sure how I’d be riding in a group and riding the hills, since I never did a group road ride before. They really know how to put on an event! There was breakfast with bagels and bananas, coffee and drinks, hard boiled eggs and lots more. Before the ride they explain all the rules and explain what’s expected of the riders. So, off we go. There were only about twelve of us. Amazingly they have a leader, a sweeper, and two other volunteers as middle riders. Plus two EMS bikers with full gear. Plus an ambulance following as back up. Holy crap! The ride went well for me, at times I could just about keep up in high gear pedaling as fast as I could, while other times it was a struggle to keep up on the climbs because of my loss of power. I started getting the hang of it quickly, but found myself in my comfort zone about ten feet behind the rider in front of me. Others were riding only two feet off the others wheel. I didn’t feel comfortable that close, but this was my first group ride. We had the half way break with food and drinks and then we were off again. I did just fine, where as I thought I might be lacking in speed and endurance. I wasn't a ball of fire, but I was definitely better than some others as we had to wait for them to catch up. The finish was good with cow bells ringing and cheers from the crowd. The lunch food was outstanding, and all you could eat. Drinks and fruit and cake and everything you could think of. Prizes were a water bottle, some mints in a tin, and a metal on a ribbon to wear around your neck. Lots of friendly people and stories and a great fun time.

Ramapo ralley07.jpg

Ramapo ralley10.jpg

a bike stranger than mine
Ramapo ralley06.jpg

Ramapo ralley04.jpg

These ladies wanted in on the photo shoot
Ramapo ralley02.jpg

the prize
Ramapo ralley08.jpg

Kaleidopete

Great ride this morning, the early morning mist was over the swamp at 7AM.

Aug26_09.jpg

I rode doubletrack, singletrack, fireroads, and fields. The Appellation trail section of Iron Mountain trail is muddy as hell.

Aug26_10.jpg

Aug26_11.jpg

Large puddles on the fireroads too.
Aug26_12.jpg

But the weather is great and the bugs were taking a break today I did my twelve miles, now back home for coffee and toast.
Later, to go to the local bar and see some friends. They open at Noon.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the good news is i've had to say no, as that is race weekend in Chicago!
I'd probably do one of these with some of the old crew, just to say we did it. considering poughkeepsie to lk placid.
or maybe cape cod

Kaleidopete

Today I offered to help my friends in the motorcycle club with their swap meet.
I got to Pine Island NY at 6 AM and started helping with set up.
Then around 9 AM I went for a bicycle ride touring the Black Dirt region of Pine Island farm land.
Nice wide open spaces, with lots of onions. I rode up to the Warwick Valley Winery and through many back roads.
Found a nice old cemetery too. Lots of friendly people waving as I rode by their houses.
I rode about a twelve mile loop and then back to my group to finish the day at the swap meet.
This ride is my 317 Consecutive day riding, I’m trying for 365.

millions of onions lying on the ground
PinrIIsland01.jpg

PinrIIsland12.jpg

PinrIIsland03.jpg

winery
PinrIIsland11.jpg

A house with a cow tied out front and chickens in the yard
PinrIIsland07.jpg

PinrIIsland16.jpg

swap meet
PinrIIsland17.jpg

PinrIIsland18.jpg

PinrIIsland21.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Today was signage removal day after the Bearscat 50. It's a nice cool day too.
I cleaned up the Prolog coarse and the Wingdam trail. I was heading to Pumphouse,
but it looks like someone did it before me. Riding up Iron Mountain trail I saw a small
fox coming towards me, as soon as it saw me it did a 180° and took off. The Bearscat 50
was an outstanding event, with great food afterwards. Great racers too.
I got a good collection today.
bsclean1.jpg

bsclean2.jpg

Kaleidopete

Today’s ride was on the Heritage Trail in New York state. It is a rail trail that runs from Harriman to Goshen.
I had planned on starting in Harriman, just off Rt. 17, and it’s a good thing I changed my mind.
The trail is interrupted because of a bridge out, with no way around. I found this out at the end of my ride.
I started the ride in Monroe and headed west. It is really a nice trail traveling through a pretty populated area,
but still away from everything in your own little trail world. Passing by houses and back yards and old companies.
Crossing small roads every now and then. I came to an old cemetery and a Nature Preserve. The preserve had
some trails and I ventured in, but soon lost interest due to my luck at getting lost. I continued on to the town of
Goshen where I thought I might get a coffee and donut. It wasn't meant to be. So at about thirteen miles in, I headed back.
I picked up the pace a little, I had been riding at about ten mph. I saw another rider ahead that just entered the trail and I
decided to keep up. That wasn’t meant to be either 18 mph was too much for me, I started falling back and getting tired
pushing my Fat bike, chasing the roady, so I backed off back to ten mph, my comfort zone. As I got back to Monroe, where
I started, I had renewed energy and kept going to try and get to Rt 17. That’s when I found the bridge out, not allowing you
to get to 17. Turned back and called it a ride at just over twenty six miles. It was a nice fun day out with lots of strange sights.

near the start
Herritage tr01.jpg

Herritage tr05.jpg

Herritage tr08.jpg

The preserve
Herritage tr06.jpg

End of the line
Herritage tr09.jpg

what's keeping that tree up!
Herritage tr14.jpg

Herritage tr10.jpg

the other end
Herritage tr11.jpg

that's why
Herritage tr12.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

A very strange morning.....6:45 AM
I rode a little and did some TM clearing brush. Then I got up to the Ragnar event by the lake.
Saw some fellow Black Bear riders getting ready to hit the trails. I was doing my own thing.
Then I hit the beer tent at Ragnar and watched some finishers cross the line. I hung out with
some of the racers and drank some beer and it didn't feel like 8 AM. A good start to the day.

ragbeer04.jpg
ragbeer01.jpg
ragbeer02.jpg
ragbeer03.jpg

Top Bottom