Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Either set of tires works pretty good. The best is the grip studded fat tires.
My 45 nrth studded is OK, not great. I added a center row of Grip Studs to this tire and it works better in my opinion.
My 2.8 x 27.5 Cake Eater studded tires are very good on glare ice, but with such low profile studs the snow tends to
negate the studs to some extent. Without the studs would be disastrous though, for me anyway.
Both Cake Eater & 45 NRTH pre studded tires ue the same low profile studs.

Grip Studs in Bud or Lou
Studded Lou03.jpg

45 NRTH
studding01.jpg

Snow sometimes cansils studs.
Snowy Nov18.jpg

Wow, it was a chilly ten miles this morning! The whole park is frozen. BUT! today I got to ride on top
of the crusty snow, where yesterday I broke through it and sank. Really a cool feeling riding on top
and buzzing along. It was -5° today, not counting the wind, which was brutal at times up by the lake.
The park roads are still closed to traffic because they are all glare ice. Looking forward to summer!
Dsc02017.jpg
Dsc02024.jpg
Dsc02025.jpg
Dsc02033.jpg

My 45 nrth studded is OK, not great. I added a center row of Grip Studs to this tire and it works better in my opinion.
My 2.8 x 27.5 Cake Eater studded tires are very good on glare ice, but with such low profile studs the snow tends to
negate the studs to some extent. Without the studs would be disastrous though, for me anyway.

Grip Studs in Bud or Lou
View attachment 86104

45 NRTH
View attachment 86105

Snow sometimes cansils studs.
View attachment 86106
oh, your Trek is a 27.5+, I just ordered a set of 29+ Arisun Sharktooth which are quite a bike less than the Cake Eaters. Can't justify for Terrenes as they will only be on for 2-3 months out of a year. Looking forward to some frozen lakes riding.

Grip Studs in Bud or Lou
View attachment 86104
Hi, Pete. Have you found that you lose many (any?) of the Bud & Lou Grip Studs when inserted at that depth? The Grip Studs on my Bud & Lou are screwed in deeper, but I'm thinking that I'd probably get better grip without any downside by backing them out to the level in your photo. Thanks!

Hi, Pete. Have you found that you lose many (any?) of the Bud & Lou Grip Studs when inserted at that depth? The Grip Studs on my Bud & Lou are screwed in deeper, but I'm thinking that I'd probably get better grip without any downside by backing them out to the level in your photo. Thanks!
I never lose any Grip Studs, well, once in a while when I practically rip the lug off.

Hey Pete any snow left after all this rain? Looking for some ice riding with the temp drops this weekend.

Pete, is everything ok, you didn't record a ride yesterday? Is the streak over?
Da streak is over.........454 consecutive days averaging two hours a day.
Rain all day yesterday made my decision for me, a good day to quit.
Over the last fifteen months I've ridden in everything Mother Nature could throw at me
and I had a good time doing it, wouldn't change a thing!
But all good things come to an end and I felt it was time. I did it! :)

Da streak is over.........454 consecutive days averaging two hours a day.
Rain all day yesterday made my decision for me, a good day to quit.
Over the last fifteen months I've ridden in everything Mother Nature could throw at me
and I had a good time doing it, wouldn't change a thing!
But all good things come to an end and I felt it was time. I did it! :)
Absolutely incredible. Hats off to you sir!!!

A huge accomplishment, and a well deserved day off.
While it was on the warm side, the stuff was coming down hard..

So what did you do on your day-without-a-ride?

It’s been a weird winter, lots of ice to ride and some crappy snow. I still get out almost every day.
I’m taking it easier now and riding the roads a little more since the trails are so challenging.
I’m still having a great time riding though, where most riders would be bored with my same old rides in the park.
I am amazed that every day something interesting happens. A new owl here, or a Kingfisher bird there.
Today I saw my friend Tom walking his dog Kayto. I told him about the “secret trail”, and he wanted to
hike it on his way back. So as I came to the trailhead I figured I’d ride it and see how it was. Wouldn’t you know it,
a large pine tree fell across it lately. I cut a way through with my Silky saw and continued on. I noticed the trail
was very poorly marked and thought Tom might miss a few turns, so I put branches blocking the wrong way to go.
I finished riding the trail and all was good now. Then I saw Tom & Kayto and told him what I did so he could look
for the right route. He thanked me and we both went on our way. That’s what I mean by little interesting things seem
to happen every day. Cool! I think the icy trail riding is more Not riding, but just trying to stay upright

da tree
Dsc02126.jpg

icy trails
Dsc02125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom