Ramblings from Moe Mountain

moose35

That's one expensive race
Screenshot_20181006-111203_Chrome.jpg

Kaleidopete

So today was the Erie 80 race and festival in Port Jervis, NY. I miss calculated the start time and got there way early.
That’s fine, because I’m not racing, just sightseeing and there for the food and beer. Off I rode to go see the Tri-State marker.
I know where it is, just never rode there from downtown. I had the Moonlander bike with the huge 5.2 tires, since I wasn’t riding
far today I figured I get the workout pumping this beast. I really enjoyed this ride through town and the cemetery out to the river.
Nice and early, like 8AM. Back at the event, people were just getting going. I saw some friends and others that recognized me from
other events here. I got coffee and bun and rode around a little. The racers took off right at 10AM. Then I headed out to the
D&H Canal trail, via the Tow Path. This is a nice easy ride, out and back. I saw two deer along the way, which I found out is very rare.
Back at the event some twelve mile riders were just getting back. I had some more food and coffee. Then I saw the Cannondale tent
with demo bikes. I got their road E-bike to try out. I rode it around the grounds a little and thought, I should take it up to the park!
So up I go to the park entrance, it handles the road hills just fine. As I enter the park there are race people pointing the way for the racers,
I didn’t think this part of the race was still on. Just then a racer comes down the trail and they point him left, up Reservoir Rd. climb,
and yell to him “you’re first”! So up I go behind him and staying with him on my E-bike. This is great, he glances back at me once and a while.
I crapped out when it got too wet and rocky, didn’t want to chase the guy, or mess up the Cannondale either. I rode back to the event and
went for a beer. Saw some more friends and had another beer curtsey of Dirt Rag mag. All in all it was a great and chilly day.

The Heritage trail in the cemetery
Erie80_18_01.jpg

the tri-state marker
Erie80_18_03.jpg

Erie80_18_06.jpg

Racers
Erie80_18_14.jpg

Erie80_18_13.jpg

Erie80_18_15.jpg

Last edited:

qclabrat

The watch is on!!!
Pete's about to hit a milestone that I'm not sure anyone here has reached. A full year riding a bike, not one day missed. Maybe not a big deal for snowbirds like Rick, but in NNJ it's different. He's humble and wouldn't call this as news, but I think it's incredibly impressive and wish him many more miles ahead.
I'm still holding you to a tour of frosty Wayay this winter. Have fat will travel...
Good luck Pete! 3 to go

rick81721

Lothar
The watch is on!!!
Pete's about to hit a milestone that I'm not sure anyone here has reached. A full year riding a bike, not one day missed. Maybe not a big deal for snowbirds like Rick, but in NNJ it's different. He's humble and wouldn't call this as news, but I think it's incredibly impressive and wish him many more miles ahead.
I'm still holding you to a tour of frosty Wayay this winter. Have fat will travel...
Good luck Pete! 3 to go

Ixnay on the inxjay!

Kaleidopete

THE YEAR I RODE MY BIKE OUTDOORS EVERY DAY. From October 27, 2017 to October 27, 2018
Averaging 9.3 miles every day over the year.
Christmas 2017 there was four inches of snow and single digit temps, rode 8 miles
Jan. 1 2018 temp -3°, Jan. 6 temp -1°, Jan. 7 temp -3° I rode 9 miles each day
How fitting that the 365th. day ride Oct. 27 would be during a Nor'easter at 36°.

I didn’t start out thinking I was going to ride outdoors every day for a year. It was just time for me to wean off the steroids
I had to take. I’d been on a pretty good dose of steroids for over two years due to other medical issues I have, and it was
time to get off them, which isn‘t easy. I followed the proper procedure for weaning off, but my legs and ankles swelled and
everything hurt. I was used to walking or riding my bike every day while on the steroids, but now I had no energy for that
and missed two or three days every week. So now in October, the 27th. 2018, to be exact I started riding the bike again
regularly and wanted to consciously keep it going for as long as I could to check either my failure or improvement, whichever
it would be. For November and part of December I only averaged about six or seven miles a day. Then on Christmas I had a
ten mile day. From then on I’ve been averaging ten to twelve miles a day which feels like the workout I can live with. The
challenge to me is just to get out and do it every day, rain, snow, heat, whatever, trying to keep my strength up and not loose
too much muscle strength. I am very tired and fatigued, some days, but that’s part of my auto immune condition called
Mycenia Gravis. Over the years now my stamina doesn't seem to improve though. You would think after four years of riding
I’d continually get stronger. My skills have improved somewhat, but my stamina just seems to stay the same. I’m fighting old
age here too. Around June my left side rotator cuff muscle went bad again and I find riding trails very punishing. The jarring of
roots and rocks is a killer, and my carpel tunnel on the left side is annoying too, numbing my arm and fingers, so I ride fire road
and some easier trails for now. I just have to take what comes along and deal with it. The best part is it’s a joy to start out every
day first thing, riding my bike. I ride the trails one day, the road another day, or a little of each, depending on how I feel. Sometimes
I get off the bike and walk a it little just to use other muscles if I start to cramp. I have to remember that this is for the fun of it,
it’s not a job or a chore, keep it fun. Embrace the hot, the cold, the rain, whatever. A bad weather day out biking is way better than
a good weather day in a hospital or nursing home. Besides, there is no such thing as “bad” weather, you’re just unprepared. So now
at 74 years old, I have to be glad I can still get out every day and ride my bike. Thanks to all my friends on MTBNJ.com and
Black Bear Cycle for their support and friendship

some photos
Bs50_18_24.jpg

Snowy Nov02.jpg

1_23_02.jpg

furnn09.jpg

wawa iceRide07.jpg

Banker Loop04.jpg

Clinton Resv12.jpg

Doublepond green02.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
When I saw the wind/rain this morning I was wondering if this was going to be the day that breaks the streak.
Then I checked how the day would progress. I didn't check strava this morning, and figured there would be
a report coming in.

Glad to see that this was another fantastic day in your journey.
Keep pedaling!

qclabrat

Congrats Pete, keep the run going! The mental part of getting out everyday is an amazing display of strength. You may not be the physically strongest athlete out here on mtbnj, but I've always considered you a local hero. Also enjoying your photos very much, looking forward to many more.

Kaleidopete

My ride this morning was from PriceShopper parking lot on Rt 94 Warwick. I plugged my car in and charge it for free while I ride.
So I did some back roads to get to Iron Mountain rd., which is a real street off Rt 94. It goes uphill for about a mile and then becomes
Iron Mt. trail in Wawayanda. Then I took the Hoeferlin trail over to Old Wawayanda Rd. which is really just a narrow trail until it exits the
park and becomes a real street. I rode it down to Pennings farm and back over to PriceShopper parking. A nice 10 mile ride. 1000 ft elevation

some farm land solar panels on the horizon.
penning+01.jpg

Wawayanda trail
penning+02.jpg

0ct28.jpg

0ct27.jpg

Pennings apples
penning+05.jpg

Top Bottom