car to transport bikes inside

I have been looking at the Fit now for a little bit. Looks like you can fit a 29er inside and great gas mileage.

I can confirm this. I regularly get 33-35MPG without much effort with plenty of stop and go driving. I also have a roof rack and at least 1 bike is on the roof 50% of my time.

Wrangler, lifted and 35's. With the hard top off in the summer time (soft top is put on) there is no security. Nothing has ever happened.

Nice !! Sounds badasssss ... I'm actually trading in my car and picking up a new Cherokee .. Figure it will fit my lifestyle and hobbies better then a 2 door sports car lol ..

I have an 08 Element and you can pretty easily get two bikes in there upright, wheels on. The DH bike, the fork was too long for that tho. I dunno about hosing it down (water in the spare well...not cool) but I usually just sweep or air hose it out.;)
Gas mileage is in the low 20 range at best. It's a box. AWD is ok but not spectacular in the snow (compared to a Jeep Liberty). Drives fine on the hwy, stock stereo is pretty impressive, could use a little more storage crannies.
All that said, I bought a trailer hitch rack from another member and it's the best thing I ever did. So darn easy! But it IS nice to have the option of putting the bike(s) in the back and locking it up. PM me if you want any more details on it.

7c99c7ce.jpg

1 29er, 1 26 inch bike, all race gear, in the back of a 2008 Honda Fit.

I see your 2 bikes and raise you two DH bikes, one with the front tire on(thru axle was gummed up and I could not get it off) Full body armor, full face helmet .. etc. All in my fit, both were larges with both riders up front. I'm 6 foot the other guy was 6'3 and while we were not stretched out and relaxing it was not bad for a 30 min drive to the bike park.

The gas mileage is pretty nice as well.

Last edited:
Dodge Ram - just throw em in the back with an old comforter between them.
Or
Prius - Thats right! Can put my Kona in the back without even taking off the front wheel, and I can get two bikes in if you remove the front wheels

Just came back from the honda dealer and I fit in the driver seat. Just need to sell the Jeep and then I will pick up the Fit. Thanks for the help everyone.

Patrick

if I take the wheels off I have no problem putting the mary in the passenger seat of the jeep I just have a cable lock that I use in the summer to the hold bar.

get an element

The element is the perfect mtb vehicle. I hosted a group ride and was able to get 4 26rs inside with the rear seats out and gear (helmets, bags etc.) and two on the hitch rack. If I had roof racks I could have carried more. The cargo space is immense and easy to clean when the knobbies track in mud.

Gas mileage is pretty weak but it seems to fit the mtb lifestyle pretty well.

Element

I have a 06 Honda Element, if I go out of my way I can get 1 29er, 1 26er, and a my playboat ( Whitewater kayak ) in the back. Plus my biking gear, her biking gear, my boating gear and hers. Creekboat and her boat on top and still get about 20 to 21 mpg. That's if I stay under 70mph. If were out in West Virginia it's about 20mpg at best. Not the best, but for a box that is awd, it carrys all the goods and I can live with it. The last year of them is 2011 and I think 2012 might be it for the Ridgeline.

I looked at an Element. I was interested in the SC in "root beer metallic" but decided on a less pricy 1st gen Scion xB. 1st gen has a smaller engine than the current 2nd gen and weighs 600 lbs less. Gets 30+mpg and I can fit my bike inside without taking the wheels off. If I take the wheels off, I can leave the seats up, stow it in the rear, and carry 3 or 4 passengers. It fits two bikes in a pinch - both front wheels off, plus all the necessary gear and a cooler full of adult beverages. With 50 something cubic feet of cargo space I can carry 34 cases of beer. My octogenarian folks love the easy access, chair height seats and flat rear bench seat. The color sealed the deal for me. It is hideous to behold, but it's form factor can't be beat. Few cars promise so little and deliver so much.

Attachments

• IMG_0591 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0591 (Large).JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0598 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0598 (Large).JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0775 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0775 (Large).JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1480 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1480 (Large).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1413 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1413 (Large).JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 356
I looked at an Element. I was interested in the SC in "root beer metallic" but decided on a less pricy 1st gen Scion xB. 1st gen has a smaller engine than the current 2nd gen and weighs 600 lbs less. Gets 30+mpg and I can fit my bike inside without taking the wheels off. If I take the wheels off, I can leave the seats up, stow it in the rear, and carry 3 or 4 passengers. It fits two bikes in a pinch - both front wheels off, plus all the necessary gear and a cooler full of adult beverages. With 50 something cubic feet of cargo space I can carry 34 cases of beer. My octogenarian folks love the easy access, chair height seats and flat rear bench seat. The color sealed the deal for me. It is hideous to behold, but it's form factor can't be beat. Few cars promise so little and deliver so much.

Dude all those pix and nothing of the inside??? Come on man!;)

Back
Top Bottom