car to transport bikes inside

Motortrend just held a econo 5 door hatch comparison. The Fit came in 4th. Subjective rankings aside, the article gives you an idea of what else is out there in this segment. They basically didn't like the Fit's ride quality, noise, and transmission but it had the most cargo space so might still be the one to get.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1204_economy_five_door_hatchback_comparison/

It's not a terrible article. Of the other top contenders there, I wouldn't want to own the Sonic after a few years of wear, and the Yaris is just kinda blah. Hyundai is MUCH improved over the years, but the jury is still out I feel.
The Fit will probably run for a really long time without much going wrong. The Scion xB was a contender for me as well but we wanted AWD.
I do work in auto repair, if that means anything.

Last edited:
The Honda will last forever as long as you change the oil.

Oh and this isn't Honda of 1992. The newer civics owned by friends were terribly unreliable. AND the Accord isn't so hot anymore.

I'm still very hesitant to buy a Mazda from dealing with them in the 90's
Ford seemed to have completely fix the company for them, but I'm still afraid.
Miata doesn't count, somehow they have always done that car right. But their standard commuter cars were some of the absolute worst cars of the 90's.

It's a shame that Nissan doesn't even make a car that anyone would consider buying anymore. They make some seriously reliable cars.

Toyota is just soul-less, I'd never own one.

I also have a roof rack and at least 1 bike is on the roof 50% of my time.

which you should tighten. i thought your bike was gonna fall off the side when you were driving up the road at 'mooch last week.

I was thinking the same exact thing Jake, I think his rack sucks or something, the bike was moving like 3 feet back and forth.

Poor Sean. i agree the 92-00 are the bomb proof ones, i will have another one, one day :) the fit is so basic, it just works.

its the tray, i dont know how to tighten it. i dont need the stand up one anymore, i need the fork mount jaun

They make some seriously reliable cars.

Toyota is just soul-less, I'd never own one.

Depends, sentra I agree...4cyl altima too. Things like the Maurano, and the other shit box cross over they make...never.

My one and only toyota has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned and I have owned a mitsubishi!

Mitsubishi is failing as a car company but is doing great as a car parts company.
It's basically a Mitsubishi motor in every Hyundai and a shit ton of Chrysler's. It's a Mitsubishi motor in the smart car. It's a Mitsubishi turbo on all the Subaru's.
They have just completely dropped the ball on making a car that anyone wants.

It boggles my mind that Mitsu isn't on top of the electric car game. They own one of the world's largest automation companies, they make drives and motors and shit. AND they own a car company.

Attachments

• IMG_0640 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0640 (Medium).JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2822 rsz.jpg
    IMG_2822 rsz.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 215
I've started looking into the Honda Fit seeing that it gets 30+mpg (which is about what I'm getting now with my Mini Cooper S.)

I have a convertible mini s, i get like 18-20 mph, is yours a hard top?

I have a convertible mini s, i get like 18-20 mph, is yours a hard top?

Yep, 2009 hard top. I get 400+ to the tank almost every time. I only have to fill it up every 2 weeks (I try and commute by bike when I can) but the cost of fuel is going up, and premium is at 3.87 by me. Cost me $50. to fill that sucker and I had 70 miles left before empty.

Can't really complain though as the gas attendant told me his truck is $115. and he's filling it up almost every 5 days. Trucks are silly.

Yep, 2009 hard top. I get 400+ to the tank almost every time. I only have to fill it up every 2 weeks (I try and commute by bike when I can) but the cost of fuel is going up, and premium is at 3.87 by me. Cost me $50. to fill that sucker and I had 70 miles left before empty.

Can't really complain though as the gas attendant told me his truck is $115. and he's filling it up almost every 5 days. Trucks are silly.

Yup, thats true. If my pick up is at less than 1/4 tank it is in the $75- $90 range for a fill up. And its a 6 cyl. If I wasn't retired and had to travel to work each day I would need to sell it. Just another opinion on the Honda Fit, 2 friends of ours from New England have a Fit that they transport a tandem in. Total passenger side and he drives and she rides in the seat behind him. Its a little extreme for my tastes but they do love everything about the car.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

the Matrix

i currently have a toyota matrix, before that had taurus wagon. both are good for bike in sideways, i usually take off front wheel

some folks put bikes upright in their pick-up. when i had my ford ranger i had a cover on the flat bed so i just put bike on the side (my old raliegh glacier ht)

300358_253494818024310_100000913820779_791308_1683652_n.jpg

my matrix is the car in middle

VW Eurovan (sadly no longer sold here)
Honda Odyssey
Volvo V70
Nissan Xterra

I currently drive an Xterra Offroad (2010), and other than the horrible gas mileage, it's the perfect MTB/Kayak/Boarding vehicle. With the rear seat split, I can stow 2 29'ers inside upright/fork mount and have space to change in the back on cold days. With both rear seats down, 4 bikes. I tested Wrangler Unlimited (not enough room and a horrible road ride) and Toyota FJ (two doors, not convenient). Xterra FTW...plus, comes with manual tranny in the base and OR models.

Before that, I had a 2004 V70R. Like someone else said, a total rocket to drive (6 sp manual, 300 hp, AWD, turbo, twin intercoolers), and I could haul a bike inside, but only lying down (my XL 29'ers with riser bars couldn't clear the low ceiling when fork-mounted). Plus, the cars had notoriously poor suspension wear, and weak AWD system (angle gear busted 5k after warranty expired, setting me back the price of a very nice all-mountain bike).

We also had an Odyssey. Awesome minivan, but no manual tranny and no AWD...sold it after my wife had a particularly harrowing experience in the snow.

Interior pic of Xterra:

IMG_5529.jpg

Back
Top Bottom