Your Favorite Long, Beginner Friendly NJ Trails

MSH

Hi!

I am eager to try a new, scenic New Jersey trail that I can take the wife and her family on (aged 30-35). They do not ride regularly, and would probably only go if there was something worth seeing and if its safe and relatively flat.

The two that come to mind for me are:
D&R Canal Trail
Henry Hudson Trail from Marlboro --> Freehold

Do you guys (and gals) have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Columbia trail.

Assuming it's open, you can make a pit stop at the Coffee Potter.

Edit: or if you're hitting it from High Bridge, well, then there's High Bridge to check out.

Thanks! do you prefer starting a High Bridge and going towards Long Valley, or vice versa?

Thanks! do you prefer starting a High Bridge and going towards Long Valley, or vice versa?
I prefer starting at high bridge... I think there's just more parking there. And if we want to grab lunch after, there's stuff right on the main street. There's also the pump track and new flow trails in HB if you want to check them out for yourself.

But the Coffee Potter has amazing cookies. 😁

D&R from washingtons crossing to lambertville and back (or the other way)
there is an ice cream stop along the route. and food at each end.
if you really want to get crazy, cross over to the PA side and ride the D&L trail
the other way.

check mileage first - it might be too long a ride, and better to work up to.

Reactions: MSH
Manasquan reservoir is super nice and my go to for a nice family ride.....5.mile loop around the water and even a education center

Anything in Allaire

Loved Allaire back when I had the time to ride singletrack and lived in Monmouth County. I'm up in Union County now.

If I am going to be in that "area" I saw that the Sandy Hook trail had a bunch of stellar reviews.

Reactions: w_b
I started writing this between services this morning, and forgot to post it.

The Marlboro to Freehold section of the Henry Hudson is largely nothing. The trail around the park in Marlboro is nice with the vistas around there, but the rest is riding along developments/past people's backyards. I would personally go from Keyport to Popamora Point, or some variation thereof (my favorite pre-cv19 was parking at the lighthouse/Ft Hancock at Sandy Hook, pedaling down to the bridge, crossing to Highlands, and riding up to Sissy's (IMO, the most scenic area of the trail). Stop for lunch (get the grilled/fried chicken salad), and head back. There is a modicum of riding on road, but it isn't bad at all once the tourists have gone--the only hairy part is at the bottom of the bridge on the Highlands side. Sandy hook will net something like 9-10 miles by itself if you are judicious about hitting all the little paths/offshoots. For some reason, I can't find the rides that I did with my mother (maybe pre Garmin?), but 2.5-3 hours at a moderate pace (for a not-really-fit person).

Wait until mid-late September when the goldenrod begins blooming...it is spectacular, especially if you go the week or two before. Sandy Hook goes from green/brown to seas of yellow.

I started writing this between services this morning, and forgot to post it.

The Marlboro to Freehold section of the Henry Hudson is largely nothing. The trail around the park in Marlboro is nice with the vistas around there, but the rest is riding along developments/past people's backyards. I would personally go from Keyport to Popamora Point, or some variation thereof (my favorite pre-cv19 was parking at the lighthouse/Ft Hancock at Sandy Hook, pedaling down to the bridge, crossing to Highlands, and riding up to Sissy's (IMO, the most scenic area of the trail). Stop for lunch (get the grilled/fried chicken salad), and head back. There is a modicum of riding on road, but it isn't bad at all once the tourists have gone--the only hairy part is at the bottom of the bridge on the Highlands side. Sandy hook will net something like 9-10 miles by itself if you are judicious about hitting all the little paths/offshoots. For some reason, I can't find the rides that I did with my mother (maybe pre Garmin?), but 2.5-3 hours at a moderate pace (for a not-really-fit person).

Wait until mid-late September when the goldenrod begins blooming...it is spectacular, especially if you go the week or two before. Sandy Hook goes from green/brown to seas of yellow.

Thanks for the thorough review, will need to try this one!

I was going to say the Union Transportation Trail but it's probably far for you. It's 9 miles each way and sometimes I do the 4 miles each way (26 ish total miles) on the road from my house to the start of the trail but I really hate riding on the road. I've ridden the Columbia trail and D&R near 6 mile and I found them boring so I was hesitant to try the UTT now that I live in that area, but I did the entire thing a few weeks ago and found it really nice and want to start doing it every Saturday morning before my family wakes up. If you go later in the day you can stop at the Roost for food and drinks (and golf).

..... secretly playing along at home.😉

Has anyone tried the Lawrence-Hopewell Trail yet? The pictures look beautiful. I just haven’t found the time to give it a go with the wife... she hates the heat so maybe in a few more weeks.

Has anyone tried the Lawrence-Hopewell Trail yet? The pictures look beautiful. I just haven’t found the time to give it a go with the wife... she hates the heat so maybe in a few more weeks.
It’s a great place for a family ride. Other than this year, they have an annual full moon ride that my kids love too.

The LHT is about a mile from my house. That and the trails in Rosedale and Mercer Meadows (the "pole farm") are very nice if not a bit crowded these days. One thing about doing the LHT full 26 mile loop is that there are a couple of sections that are not done yet so you have to ride a mile or two on a busy road - and its not always so clear which way to go to pick up the trail again. You could do 10-15 miles just riding around the pole farm.

I was going to say the Union Transportation Trail but it's probably far for you. It's 9 miles each way and sometimes I do the 4 miles each way (26 ish total miles) on the road from my house to the start of the trail but I really hate riding on the road. I've ridden the Columbia trail and D&R near 6 mile and I found them boring so I was hesitant to try the UTT now that I live in that area, but I did the entire thing a few weeks ago and found it really nice and want to start doing it every Saturday morning before my family wakes up. If you go later in the day you can stop at the Roost for food and drinks (and golf).

Thanks, but you're right, UTT is a bit too far for me. D&R had it moments with the lock systems and canal. Researching Columbia after mentioned here, I see mixed reviews on-line, it seems like you need to commit to the entire trail to see all it has to offer. If there is a pump track in High Bridge though, that could be an added bonus.

I also like the LHT--when I lived in the area, it was a bare-minimum of trails, but it has grown quite a bit in the 8 years between. From the Pole Farm, it is a short jaunt down Cold Soil Road to Terhune Orchards (which does wine now, too? Nice if you're into that...). There is also a pretty good cheese/dairy farm (Cherry Grove is the name, now) north on 206 not far from where the LHT leaves the Lawrenceville School. I would personally skip much of the rest of the things around there, since it's smaller places that every town seems to have, and not much to write home about. You can get into Princeton fairly easily from 206, by the way, though the town proper (Nassau Street) is super unfriendly to cyclists. Two popular places for take-out: Olives (high-brow) and Hoagie Haven (best described as 'college food truck'). Skip the town approaches from the canal, as they are all fairly steep by bicycle.

Another thought might be the Capital-to-Coast in the Allenwood area, but maybe check on the state of construction before you go--the area that passes under 34 is currently detoured onto the road, which is unfortunate, since it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The rest of the trail is flat (sloping gently downhill from Allaire Village), but there is a spur that heads out to the Wall recreation complex that adds several miles (and one unfortunately steep hill). Two possibilities occur when/if you hit the end of the trail in Manasquan: turn around, or poke your way out to the Sea Girt beachfront, and then work your way north. Once you get to Belmar, you can easily ride on the road/boardwalk (legally only until 10-12 depending on the municipality, but after Labor Day, nobody really cares as long as you aren't causing fights) pretty much all the way to Asbury Park. That would be, in a few words, A Long Ride. The current state of reality makes things difficult to really soak in the sights, but along the way there is the Allenwood General Store (good eats), a historic lighthouse (Sea Girt), the Spring Lake/Belmar/Avon area (which will roll up after Labor Day), several good places in Ocean Grove to eat (some of which are closed), and the Great Auditorium (which is worth seeing, even if you don't happen to catch any music). Asbury Park is across the lake from there (joined by the boardwalk, too). AP is largely open even after the tourist season, now. You CAN continue up the highway after Asbury, but there isn't a protected bike lane until you hit the northmost parts of Long Branch (technically, the sidewalk behind the seawall is only pedestrian, but--again--the locals tend to flaunt it after the season is done. After the Rumson-Seabright bridge, the seawall 'sidewalk' becomes an official bike path into Sandy Hook.

Just a quick note about the oceanside leg: I love my 'adopted' home (since I'll never be a "local"), but consider that headed from the AP boardwalk north is a popular road route, and you'll probably get several dirty looks/irritated blow-by passes. Also, a flat 40 mile round-trip ride might sound like heaven, but between the limited vistas (Water! Sand! Expensive houses!) and the omnipresent wind (which easily adds/subtracts 20-30 minutes in one direction), it can be absolutely maddening. In order to catch favorable wind, you would need to be finishing one direction (depending on which way it's going that day) by 9-10am.

Researching Columbia after mentioned here, I see mixed reviews on-line, it seems like you need to commit to the entire trail to see all it has to offer. If there is a pump track in High Bridge though, that could be an added bonus.
I just did the entire Columbia trail yesterday. I'd have to say that Califon and north are the most scenic parts.
This view was absolutely amazing in person:
20200826_132643-3456x2592.jpg

Reminded me of Napa Valley, CA

Back
Top Bottom