Your Favorite Long, Beginner Friendly NJ Trails

Karate Monkey

IMG_20200913_164032.jpg

As promised, the goldenrod is juuuuust beginning to bloom around Sandy Hook. In a week or so/next big rain, there will be a sea of yellow all along the dunes/sandy areas.

Karate Monkey

About to head there this weekend based on your initial recommendation! Any recommendations on where to park and which way to ride the path?

Personally: park at Ft Hancock (either the picnic area at the fork, or follow signs for the lighthouse/visitor center); ride out/around the north lot (Nine Gun Battery), then head south down the island, following the MUP. You can take the road/walk up and over the bridge, then go down the first turn off on the northbound side into Highlands. Follow the street closest to the highway until it dead ends into Popamora Point. Ride up to Atlantic Highlands, then turn around and head back.

You can turn around at any point, of course, and modify where you park based on the wind direction (ie, you want a tailwind on the way back). The fisherman's lot at the Sandy Hook gate is not always open, though. The roads though the Ft Hancock area are a good way to explore add miles without worrying about being run over.

You will almost certainly want to pack a wind vest/jacket, especially if the high is below 70.

thegock

I just did the entire Columbia trail yesterday. I'd have to say that Califon and north are the most scenic parts.
This view was absolutely amazing in person:
View attachment 138159

Reminded me of Napa Valley, CA

A good add on to the CT is to do the 3 miles of the Ken Lockwood Gorge on the way back southwest to High Bridge (assuming you started there.) Out of Califon, go right on Hoffman's Crossing Rd, then the first left on River Rd takes you to the northeastern end of the KLG. The dirt road has a few bumps to be alert to while riding.

Also, I know two guys who actually hit the steel beams blocking vehicular traffic to the CT. One of them is recuperating from a broken scapula right now, so noobs should be warned.

LOCK WOOD IMG_20200307_113642-01.jpg

MSH

Personally: park at Ft Hancock (either the picnic area at the fork, or follow signs for the lighthouse/visitor center); ride out/around the north lot (Nine Gun Battery), then head south down the island, following the MUP. You can take the road/walk up and over the bridge, then go down the first turn off on the northbound side into Highlands. Follow the street closest to the highway until it dead ends into Popamora Point. Ride up to Atlantic Highlands, then turn around and head back.

You can turn around at any point, of course, and modify where you park based on the wind direction (ie, you want a tailwind on the way back). The fisherman's lot at the Sandy Hook gate is not always open, though. The roads though the Ft Hancock area are a good way to explore add miles without worrying about being run over.

You will almost certainly want to pack a wind vest/jacket, especially if the high is below 70.

Thanks again! The wife and I really enjoyed the trail!

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_130427.jpg
    IMG_20200919_130427.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 69

THATmanMANNY

I rode part of the Barnegat Branch Trail yesterday. I don't think it's scenic but it's an option for beginner/family flat trail riding.

Top Bottom