You Ghetto?

you can mount the tire with the split tube being wider than the rim

and then trim the excess split tube with xacto

you can mount the tire with the split tube being wider than the rim

and then trim the excess split tube with xacto

I think Scissors are easiest. As you are cutting pull/stretch the excess and it will pretty much shrink back flush.

there is an art to this ;)

Can someone post a picture of how much rubber you leave sticking out

10 easy steps:

1. Pump the tube up slightly
2 stretch it over the rim
3 split it down the middle with scissors and fold it evenly over both sides of the rim.
4 soap up the tire and rim/tube
5 Mount the tire completely on one side 3/4 on the other side then add your sealant.
6 fully mount the tire and air it up
7 shake, rattle, roll the wheel, take it for a spin or whatever until it completely seals up ~ 5 minutes
8 Trim excess tube flush
9 Drink more beer
10 repeat #9
;)

Last edited:
Post #2 in this thread has some pics of me settings up some wheels split tube. I always use a new razor blade and pull on the excess as a run the blade along the edge of the rim (after everything is set and you know the tire is sealed of course). This leaves almost no visible excess (and shaves the most grams :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't say one vs the other is more likely to burp, it really comes down to the individual setup. You can have a crappy fitting tire be really prone to burping on a tubeless specific rim, and you can have a practically burp proof ghetto setup if done right. The worst burping issues i've had was with a UST rim didn't get along well with a tire.

One big advantage that I noticed with the split tube setup is that the tire basically glues itself to the split tube. Even when the tire deforms to the point where it should burp, often times it doesn't because of that bond.

Is a ghetto set-ups any more/less likely to burp compared to a true tubeless combo?

In my experience, ghetto is MUCH more likely to burp &/or suddenly blow the tire completely off the rim. Scary shit.

Of course, plenty of people don't have those issues. The Ghetto Gods just didn't like me.

... I noticed with the split tube setup is that the tire basically glues itself to the split tube. Even when the tire deforms to the point where it should burp, often times it doesn't because of that bond.

Interesting comments. I prefer the idea of a split tube setup, but I put a LOT of trust in my front tire. Not sure if I like the risk factor...

Tom P.

FWIW, I have seen more tire blow offs with Stan's rims than ghetto setups. The depth of the newer rims is so shallow that if the tire bead doesn't lock in right there isn't much rim material to keep them in place. Conversely, if you make sure the tire engages the bead socket right, stan's rims are arguably one of the best (and easiest to use) tubeless setups. Both have their issues if not done correctly and there is risk associated with both. Its all about setting everything up correctly, and making sure everything is set right before riding.

FWIW, I have seen more tire blow offs with Stan's rims than ghetto setup.

That's pretty hard to believe. If there's a blow off with a stans rim, it's probably due to the tires having way less psi than they should. Or someone is using a tire that isn't good for tubeless.

I don't how you guys run such low psi's on your tubeless ie 20 to 25... If i am below 30 I burp on any off camber section of trail... I weigh 220lbs, have tubeless rims on one bike and wtb trailblazer rims on the other... I've got a good bead going on all my rims ie only need to add air every 2 or 3 weeks or so... Just sayin'...

I don't how you guys run such low psi's on your tubeless ie 20 to 25... If i am below 30 I burp on any off camber section of trail... I weigh 220lbs, have tubeless rims on one bike and wtb trailblazer rims on the other... I've got a good bead going on all my rims ie only need to add air every 2 or 3 weeks or so... Just sayin'...

I think these guys running 20-25 psi are 60-100 lbs lighter.

200lbs here, and i ran tubeless with stans kit , not ghetto tubes on my enduro and it worked fine. Never burped or failed on me ever. I used to run around 28psi F and R

I think these guys running 20-25 psi are 60-100 lbs lighter.

Thanks for the compliment but your wrong. Gordo/ardent 2.4 rigid up front at 18psi flow/whatever rear at 22 psi 220lbs. I havent had a burp in like forever.

Thanks for the compliment but your wrong. Gordo/ardent 2.4 rigid up front at 18psi flow/whatever rear at 22 psi 220lbs. I havent had a burp in like forever.

Do you put extra Stans in when you first mount up? I know you have a home brew Matty. Will you share on how you make. Homedepot items?

Back
Top Bottom