Woods Hollow race this Saturday ...

Had a blast

Adding to what evereyone said, the race promotors did a super job in putting it together. The mass start was kinda cool. I had to hang towards the back in fear of a few riders going down in the first left hand turn (which a few did as I gasped) Riding with a fractured collarbone and hearing my Dr's voice inside my head while pedaling ... "if you fall, it's surgery for you" :mad2:
I finished second in my age catagory, not sure of how many other women riders there were. Sign up on race day was 20 bucks they gave us a cool t-shirt and a really fun race course. The sand sections made it interesting, the single track was short but fun with a nice climb too which we had to do 3 times for sport. Once in the single track I had passed a bunch of guys. Fun time ... except for when Jim V lapped me :getsome: He makes it look so easy ...

RC ...

Hmmm, maybe I was closer than I thought. You don't happen to remember my time do you? I thought it was 50 but now I'm not sure...After that sketchy cross guy almost took out the field 2 or 3 times, I let a gap open to Charlie, it wasn't big, but there isn't anywhere to make up time on a course that open. After the race Charlie said it best, there was no place to gain time, but plenty of places to lose it. Awesome race, good times, well run, great people. Plus I always enjoy when my family can come watch, most races are too long for them, this setup was perfect.

-Jim.

I thought you were right around the 50 minute mark. We will see when the results are posted.

Woods Hollow - Course Info?

Congrats to everyone who did the race - I'd like to run it next year, as I ride this park every week. Can anyone direct me to a map of the course, or give a reasonable description of it? I'd be interested in knowing how my times match the posted ones. Thanks!

That was enough fun that I'm going to go off and do my first NORBA race (is that even the sanctioning body anymore?) in about 12 years...

After that sketchy cross guy almost took out the field 2 or 3 times, I let a gap open to Charlie, it wasn't big,
I think I was riding with you when he got into a big slide in the downhill field corner. I was on the black Asylum 29er. That guy (a friend of mine) has a new nickname. Of course, I actually fell chasing ChrisG - turns out you can't go wide open through the grass corners with dew on the ground - while he only almost fell.

wonderturtle said:
getting beat by a dad and his kid on a tandem - that kinda sucks, but props to the dad on that one.
Funny thing: same guy as above. :)

JohnA said:
Great race, really fast pace. Winner was smoking at 49min and change. I had an OK race 7th overall, 1st in my age in 51min and change.

52:30 for me. 9th overall, 40 sec behind Sketchy Cross Guy. I'll get you at Ringwood John.

You guys brought the pain. Last year I was 4th OA and I'm fitter this season.

Fun & Fast Race

That was my 2nd race ever. It was fun & fast and definately well suited for family like Jim said cause it was shorttrack and there was more than just one place for people to watch.

I did sport. It was way way way better than I had expected when it was actually racing vs. the pre-ride. My right calf cramped up ridiculously (I still even feel it now when I stretch it) on the 1st lap in one of the singletracks. I had to stop for a few minutes and watch about 10 riders blow past me but then i was able to gain back 5 in the remainder of the race. For the remainder of that lap and the 2nd I took it pretty easy but when the 3rd came around I didn't hold back. For the 3rd lap, I was able to use my big ring for more than half the lap and definately was a lot faster ripping those fields that way. I think I coulda have sustained doing that for 2 laps at least. SO I look forward to next year with the knowledge I gained from this one. Oh yea and I finished 22nd, kinda dissappointed, but I'll bump myself up a few cause I'm sure there were more than just a handful of expert riders there haha. Damn cramp. PLZ make an expert class next year so I can boost my self esteem. ;)

My right calf cramped up ridiculously (I still even feel it now when I stretch it) on the 1st lap in one of the singletracks.

That would be a muscle strain (aka: pulled muscle). This is often caused by not being warmed up enough.

A cramp is most often caused by fatigue at the end of a long event.

That would be a muscle strain (aka: pulled muscle). This is often caused by not being warmed up enough.

A cramp is most often caused by fatigue at the end of a long event.

Hmmmm... the weird thing is that rarely happens to me and I am pretty good with warming up, stretching, eating the right things, and cooling down etc etc... I pre rode the course for 20 min then stretched then raced. 20 min... that's still not good enough?

It happened when I went to unclip when I couldn't hold a turn and all of a sudden it just tightened up.

It never happens to me when I run or swim or whatever else activity I do except for when I am biking or transitioning from biking to running. Any other reasons besides warm up?

Sometimes I feel like I have to adjust my bike position because when I bike it feels like some parts of my leg muscles shouldn't really feel that much strain.... any thoughts?

I think I was riding with you when he got into a big slide in the downhill field corner. I was on the black Asylum 29er. That guy (a friend of mine) has a new nickname. Of course, I actually fell chasing ChrisG - turns out you can't go wide open through the grass corners with dew on the ground - while he only almost fell.

Oh MAN!! You're friends with "sketchy cross guy"? :D Does he race cross too or just have a bike? I was just taken by surprise at how a guy on a cyclocross bike couldn't keep the bike straight in a wide-open grass field, that's kinda what cross is all about!!

The results have me at a 49:52, that's a little faster than I thought. It's also cool to see there were 4 dudes from P-Way. 2 on the podium. Reprezent!!

-Jim.

Here is a picture of the team mtbnj.com girls from the race on Satrurday. First place in the middle, third place on the left and second on the right.

Attachments

• woods hollow 012.jpg c.jpg
    woods hollow 012.jpg c.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 105
Oh MAN!! You're friends with "sketchy cross guy"? :D Does he race cross too or just have a bike? I was just taken by surprise at how a guy on a cyclocross bike couldn't keep the bike straight in a wide-open grass field, that's kinda what cross is all about!!
You're not going to believe it but he is an awesome rider who just had one of those days. He even races lots of cross. Maybe racing the tandem screwed him up for the first lap.

But I really enjoyed telling one of our teammates that he's "sketchy cross guy". I'm hoping it sticks. :D

hey mfennel - as I said before - kudos on the "tandem effort". quite a feat.

two questions:

1) how the heck did you manage the single-track? there were some tight turns there.

2) did you make it up the hill?

hey mfennel - as I said before - kudos on the "tandem effort". quite a feat.

two questions:

1) how the heck did you manage the single-track? there were some tight turns there.

2) did you make it up the hill?
That wasn't me. "sketchy cross guy" raced the tandem with his 11 year old son. The only problem they had was dropping the chain a few times. I understand they went pretty slowly through the singletrack but I don't think they had to walk anywhere. Someday I'll work up the courage/stupidity to stoke in the woods on that thing. I hear it's a real noodle.

I think they were the 6th or 7th finishers in the beginner class. Since there isn't a tandem class (and sketchy is hardly a beginner) they weren't officially scored.

That wasn't me. "sketchy cross guy" raced the tandem with his 11 year old son. The only problem they had was dropping the chain a few times. I understand they went pretty slowly through the singletrack but I don't think they had to walk anywhere. Someday I'll work up the courage/stupidity to stoke in the woods on that thing. I hear it's a real noodle.

I think they were the 6th or 7th finishers in the beginner class. Since there isn't a tandem class (and sketchy is hardly a beginner) they weren't officially scored.

They started right next to me and I think it helped me to a good start, I was in first place through the first 2 Meadows, mainly because I wanted to stay in front of them. Luckily I never saw them again til the finish, looked like the kid was having a blast.

Back
Top Bottom