Woods Hollow race this Saturday ...

I'm going to race there too, if you want to say hello I'm in beige CRV with a grey trek and white fork!

See you there, I'll be on a baby blue Fisher 29'er with a Fisher29 kit...

<---like this in my avatar:D

-Jim.

My first race so hopefully I don't crash and burn I went beginner but I can hold a decent pace in more technical terrain so I think I'll do alright but who knows :p. Are there usually a lot of people at this?

My first race so hopefully I don't crash and burn I went beginner but I can hold a decent pace in more technical terrain so I think I'll do alright but who knows :p. Are there usually a lot of people at this?

How about holding a pace in an open field? The most technical part of the course is the soft sandy turns.

Well that's the point, if I can ride an okay pace in a more technical place I think mashing my pedals on open terrain should be easier, but I don't know that much ;)

I did alright about what I expected if not a bit better, I took second in my age group and 9th overall which is not a bad outing for a first race. I was about 4 minutes from the first spot and held in front for the first 2 miles until my conditioning (read: lack of) kicked in and I just muscled my way through the rest.

Mad props to the tandem team, those guys were ripping it up.

I saw like 3 mtbnj'ers (tacky orange ;)) but since I don't really know any of you in real life I didn't bother saying hi.

Last edited:
Great race. Was also my first ever race, had never been to one, was lots of fun. I placed 5th overall in Beginner Category (1st in the platform pedal category ;)). Got a trophy for 1st place in my Age group, however I think the 2nd and 3rd placers overall were in my age group, so maybe they figured they already had a trophy. Just ordered a set of CB Eggbeater SL's, watch out next year :) Fun day all around, met lots of great people.

49 and change, I was 6 minutes off at 55:01

Hmmm, maybe I was closer than I thought. You don't happen to remember my time do you? I thought it was 50 but now I'm not sure...After that sketchy cross guy almost took out the field 2 or 3 times, I let a gap open to Charlie, it wasn't big, but there isn't anywhere to make up time on a course that open. After the race Charlie said it best, there was no place to gain time, but plenty of places to lose it. Awesome race, good times, well run, great people. Plus I always enjoy when my family can come watch, most races are too long for them, this setup was perfect.

-Jim.

hey Ellbiddy - I was probably riding near you through the race. that tandem bike was in front of me the whole time (although I think he pulled away the 2nd lap). getting beat by a dad and his kid on a tandem - that kinda sucks, but props to the dad on that one. that is some feat.

anyway I finished in about 46 flat. considering I had the sh#ts the whole day before the race and felt pretty crappy/ weak (hint - dont eat the burgers at Turtle Back Zoo), I was pleased with my effort (I certainly gave it my all) but was disapointed in my time.

gives me a time to beat for next year.

Yeah you probably were, I was passing/being passed by the tandem duo through the whole race, they ripped through the straights but slowed down to a crawl in that small singletrack they had. I was on a trek with a white fork, I was woefully underprepared, I thought it was going to be easier than it was, too much sand for my weak legs ;) Yeah I know the feeling, I could have pushed a little harder at times but just coasted to recoup for that stupid sand hill. I'm sure next time I'll do a bit better, I've caught the bug and now I'm going to go train like a mofo ;)

Great race, really fast pace. Winner was smoking at 49min and change. I had an OK race 7th overall, 1st in my age in 51min and change. Props to Monmouth County Parks System for a great race.

Back
Top Bottom