Wissahickon Valley Park, Philly, PA

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Spence this is my weekday park and I know every trail there. If you want to ride let me know. Pm if you need my #.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
I like parking at the manyunk diner. They have patrons only signs but never an issue. Puts you central to Belmont/EFP and Wiss proper, plus it's close to the highway. I also park along kelly drive often but don't feel comfortable parking there at night.

The Kalmyk

I am going to take you up on that Ken. I'm working on the mtb now to get it in order. I haven't touched it going on two years now. The goal is to learn these trails in the same way I know Allaire and 6 Mile.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am going to take you up on that Ken. I'm working on the mtb now to get it in order. I haven't touched it going on two years now. The goal is to learn these trails in the same way I know Allaire and 6 Mile.
It's a real easy place to ride as far as trail flow. Not easy to get lost..

Tonggi

I will be back in Philly for work week fo May 11 and May 18. I will bring my bike this time as the days are longer. Anyone willing to show me around so I can get back to my hotel before it gets dark? I will be staying at the Sheraton Downtown and can ride out realistically at 6-630 PM.

It gets dark out around 8-830 now. Would I be able to get from Sheraton to the trail head in 30 mins? Anyone recommend a good loop that will be 60-90 mins?

Thanks!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I will be back in Philly for work week fo May 11 and May 18. I will bring my bike this time as the days are longer. Anyone willing to show me around so I can get back to my hotel before it gets dark? I will be staying at the Sheraton Downtown and can ride out realistically at 6-630 PM.

It gets dark out around 8-830 now. Would I be able to get from Sheraton to the trail head in 30 mins? Anyone recommend a good loop that will be 60-90 mins?

Thanks!

Assuming you staying at the Sheraton Downtown on N 17th Street (not the Sheraton University City) reaching Wiss in a half hour is no problem - just shoot out to Logan Square and take the Ben Franklin Parkway to the Art Museum and then take Kelly Drive all the way to Ridge Avenue in Manayunk. Cross Ridge right where it intersects Kelly (there is a bus stop right there) and get on the paved path that runs along Lincoln Drive. Take that out to the Lincoln Drive trailhead to enter Wiss. Shouldn't take you any more than a half hour.

As for a 60-90 minute ride, that'll depend on what pace you like to go. What day were you planning to ride? I'd be happy to meet up with you if I am free (usually not a problem.) I can keep you in your time frame pretty well -- there are tons of areas to cross over and head back.

Another option that'd keep you a little closer to the hotel would be Belmont Plateau. Totally different ride than Wiss -- I like to call it the "land of logs": there are more log hops than I can count in there.

Let me know what your plans are for when you'd want to ride, and give me an idea of your typical pace and I can map out a decent ride in either park.

BigDB67

I road in Wissahickon for the first time LAST weekend and had a blast. My 280 lbs. ass got unexpectedly airborne a few times!

Just a general warning to everyone, my buddy has had his car broken into TWICE there in the past few years parking on one of the side roads leading in. My advice to any going there is to arrive early so you can park by one of the major entrances with a lot of foot traffic. The lots by Green Valley Inn are safe... GOOD LUCK!

1speed

I road in Wissahickon for the first time LAST weekend and had a blast. My 280 lbs. ass got unexpectedly airborne a few times!

Just a general warning to everyone, my buddy has had his car broken into TWICE there in the past few years parking on one of the side roads leading in. My advice to any going there is to arrive early so you can park by one of the major entrances with a lot of foot traffic. The lots by Green Valley Inn are safe... GOOD LUCK!

The lots by the Inn are often closed to non-Inn traffic in the spring and summer by 8:30 am. If you get there before that, you can stay there all day, but after 8:30, there's a guy who sits up at the upper lot and won't let you through. The next safest lot is down on Northwestern (except at night -- that one is an easy target at night because it's not well lit.) The upper lot above the Inn on Valley Green Rd is a clusterf*ck - I wouldn't park there in broad daylight with a dozen cops hanging out. The safest thing to do for parking if you can't park at the Inn is to take what you can get and just make sure there is nothing enticing showing in your car. Your best bet is to get them to pass you by.

Tonggi

Assuming you staying at the Sheraton Downtown on N 17th Street (not the Sheraton University City) reaching Wiss in a half hour is no problem - just shoot out to Logan Square and take the Ben Franklin Parkway to the Art Museum and then take Kelly Drive all the way to Ridge Avenue in Manayunk. Cross Ridge right where it intersects Kelly (there is a bus stop right there) and get on the paved path that runs along Lincoln Drive. Take that out to the Lincoln Drive trailhead to enter Wiss. Shouldn't take you any more than a half hour.

As for a 60-90 minute ride, that'll depend on what pace you like to go. What day were you planning to ride? I'd be happy to meet up with you if I am free (usually not a problem.) I can keep you in your time frame pretty well -- there are tons of areas to cross over and head back.

Another option that'd keep you a little closer to the hotel would be Belmont Plateau. Totally different ride than Wiss -- I like to call it the "land of logs": there are more log hops than I can count in there.

Let me know what your plans are for when you'd want to ride, and give me an idea of your typical pace and I can map out a decent ride in either park.

I'm open for anything. And Yes I was referring to the SheratonDowntown. I will be there for another 2 weeks and who knows, more as the project progresses more. Its nice since the sun is out longer. I like to do a fast pace going down and some spurts of fast going up with breaks. haha or I cruise but in a nice pace to get the HR up. but by no means XC race fit. Once the week progresses I will hit you up before hand. Hopefully you are free!

Jon

1speed

Saw someone with an MTBNJ jersey last night in Wiss, but didn't know who it was (or didn't recognize him -- I was trying to stay pinned after pushing it up Twisty Turny on a 2:1 so I was probably a bit cross-eyed.)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw someone with an MTBNJ jersey last night in Wiss, but didn't know who it was (or didn't recognize him -- I was trying to stay pinned after pushing it up Twisty Turny on a 2:1 so I was probably a bit cross-eyed.)

My guess would be @KenS.

1speed

My strava spy says Ken was at Wiss at 340 ish

This would have been around 6 or so.

Mitch, we need to get a ride together soon. I'm doing something kind of insane this Saturday in terms of mileage, but we should try to get a ride set up someplace soon!

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This would have been around 6 or so.

Mitch, we need to get a ride together soon. I'm doing something kind of insane this Saturday in terms of mileage, but we should try to get a ride set up someplace soon!
Kens was out for 40 miles and 345 ride time . he parked near river so that would put him still at Wiss after 6.
We do need to get a ride in together again somewhere. I have been busy every weekend with either race, dirtfest, camping trip. I'm hopping to get to Ramsey's Revenge next weekend. Somehow we will make a date..

KenS

JORBA.ORG
That was me who you passed, yep. I ride from work @ Penns Landing. Thought I recognized the beard and SS but wasn't sure so went with my standard "What's up man" as a greeting. =p You digging the new construction?

Top Bottom