WildCat Epic

Missing out this year, starting the family vacation, will be driving .....have a good time and stay loose in Lippmann, the last few miles feel like forever ....

I've heard some bad things about this race form a few people -- something about a poorly marked course and problems with the director? I can't say from personal experience, but it's given me pause. It's a shame if that's true because I like that area.

the course markings were part of the challenge! I only got goofed up once when there was a group of racers u-turning to look for a course marker when they should have just kept going, we lost a little time there. A pro passed me about 4 times b/c she kept flying past route markers that I saw well in advance due to my "turtle" racing style!

My only gripe was in the finish timing. They decided to cut out the last 5 miles of singletrack (10 hrs of rain=MUUUUD) a few minutes after I passed by the start/finish line which was near the entrance to the singletrack, fine but they didn't account for that in the finishing placement. They said they would look into it when I emailed but no corrections were ever made, it didn't affect anything but my ego.

pre-reg this year looks slim, are there a lot of last minute 100 mile race signups? looks like the last few years of 24HOA! what's the new format everyone is going to now- fatbike gravel grinder enduros?

554 pre-reg at Mohican 100 & 458 at Lumberjack 100. I'm pretty sure 100's are alive and well when the event is consistently high quality.

I did the 50 two years ago and it was a well run, fun event. Folks really need to let go of ancient history. Turns out my fitness is not really in race shape due to some recent family issues and some recent summer cold activity. Planning to stay local for a big Stokes ride before the rains come in.

This is the only race I've ever done that I won't do again. The course markings were horrible or non existent. The organization was pitiful. The promoters top priority was obviously not providing a good experience. I spoke to him post race and again a year later about what changes needed to be made. He wasn't interested in my opinion. There's a reason none of the usual long distance racers don't do this. It's the same reason he was removed from the NUE.

I totally get that the NUE Race was a debacle. But he has been working with the Renegades and had been putting on better events in recent years that other folks may want to attend. As a fellow race promoter, I hate to see another promoter not get a second chance if he is in fact trying to learn from his mistakes and organize events in the future. IMO.

Anyone have a comment/review of the 2015 race?

Some quick comments,,

Ive been wanting to do this race for the past 5 years. but scheduling conflicts always preventing me from doing so,,Judging from the comments from the past years looks like I didn't miss much.

But this year I was finally able to register for the 100k.
The Renegades MTB club has teamed up with the promoter and they did a great job! Every turn was either marked clearly or had volunteers waiting to give you a hand. which is tough to do on the Lippman Trails , if you every been there you know they packed a lot of trails in on the land they have.

The course was a good mix of singletrack , dbl track, fireroads, stream crossings, paved ,all which had great scenery . The major climbs were on the paved portion, which left you some white knuckle descents... a lot of fun.

I will be back next year! To better my time

Back
Top Bottom