Wildcat: Crowd Sourced Trail Maintenance

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I can probably make that happen, but it would be better if you could just go build it tomorrow morning and then we can ride it and critique it tomorrow evening. No pressure.

sorry 6MR tomorrow.

If you had put in your MR earlier, and appealed for prioritized attention. it may have happened -

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Rode it today and see what you're talking about. Here's my non-professional opinion. No rocks right there but we can find some. Woodchips not a long term solution. Gravel would be better but need to buy and haul it in. Bridge could work but need to buy lumber and haul it in too (there are a couple boards there leftover from the latest bridge but not sure how many or if they're pressure treated). 1" thick lumber won't last unless there are 3 stringers (one to support the middle). Downed tree won't last either since we don't really have any rot resistant trees in our woods. My recommendation is rocks or bridge or combination of both (to reduce lumber need). I would love to help but my freedom is limited. I would chip in a little bit for lumber but will also keep my eyes open on trash night and Craig's list.

OOOOPs my bad on the wood I was going to come back but it snowed and lost track

those are PT there are about 5 rungs left

regarding down trees if they are laid on rocks could that help extend the life?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
OOOOPs my bad on the wood I was going to come back but it snowed and lost track

those are PT there are about 5 rungs left

regarding down trees if they are laid on rocks could that help extend the life?

this would be a traditional way of creating a bridge - problem is logs are round -
they make great stringers for a ladder bridge, or rails for a walking bridge.
still not easy to ride, and makes more work to find similar sizes.

we can trade off $$ for time and performance. There isn't a shortage of $$,
just labor and time.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
this would be a traditional way of creating a bridge - problem is logs are round -
they make great stringers for a ladder bridge, or rails for a walking bridge.
still not easy to ride, and makes more work to find similar sizes.

we can trade off $$ for time and performance. There isn't a shortage of $$,
just labor and time.

I have to scratch my curiosity

what is the process that needs to be followed regarding building this? I'm assuming that since volunteers are being sought after we have the permissions of the Land management, do they give us discretion on how this is implemented or are there guidelines?

xc62701

What about skittles? They have a hard candy shell, would bring some ambiance to the area and if you are depleted, it gives some extra calories. Seriously though, if I can help let me know. I can usually break free and the summer is coming up.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I can do almost any weeknight. Even Wednesday, then we can chase the WW ride with shovels. Because the bottom of New Way Down isn't hard enough already. :p

so you're telling me to compost on the trail would be faster?

I know I'm being silly but long term planning it most likely is a good idea to rake everything in the area up into a pile for material

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Wildcat is an official JORBA chapter, yes? Then can JORBA foot the bill for lumber? Or no bc this is not an official project?

BPaze

There might be monies from the firehouse bridge project that did not come to fruition. If not, then I'll walk around the parking lot with a collection can every Wednesday night for a few weeks until we have the funds.
If funds are needed I am happy to.contribute least I can do for what this trail system gives to me and my family. Let me know how to donate funds and labor.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There might be monies from the firehouse bridge project that did not come to fruition. If not, then I'll walk around the parking lot with a collection can every Wednesday night for a few weeks until we have the funds.
You know if we took all the beer money and saved it for...
Screw That. It’s a terrible idea!

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
So just planning future work, not soliciting donations at this point.
Feel free to suggest other projects that don't involve a new trail.
Ill be holding off on group efforts as long as the state of emergency is in effect.
Last year we worked July and August and got a lot done.
Thank you all for the enthusiasm and support.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions