Wildcat: Crowd Sourced Trail Maintenance

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Meriden Trail after the "new way down" descent tends to be a mess, the roots are so confused, it just kind of takes the high off what is otherwise an awesome experience. Also, the erosion and traffic could damage the roots of the birches. Putting in a wood structure is one solution, but costly and requires ongoing maintenance. Do you think "wood chips" would be a good solution? And if so, would hand hauling them from the Meriden Trailhead be something you would help with? others solutions? or its not an issue worth working on.

I'm down to help I have every weekend for the most part.

To add another idea is a reroute out of the question? This area seems to be a sponge, and wide enough for a plane to land.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wood chips would be a lot of work for a short term solution. A combo of rocks and wooden boardwalks would probably be the best Long term option.

BPaze

I have some availability to assist, I have no recommendations though as I have no experience so not gonna waste your time although boardwalks seem like an interesting idea in Wildcat

Edit: I do have a small amount of pressure-treated wood from my deck that my wife would love for me to get rid of, at least 1 4x4 and a few 2x6

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We should try rock armoring first and see where that gets us. A couple of spots on the revived Righter trail could also use some rock bridges.

BPaze

We should try rock armoring first and see where that gets us. A couple of spots on the revived Righter trail could also use some rock bridges.
I've been hiking that every weekend with the family and yes definitely could use some rock armouring to fill in some of the muddy gaps. Count me in

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I'm having trouble picturing the section you're speaking of but rocks are usually the best answer. I would love to help if the timing works out but it rarely does now that it's daddy daycare every day. Weekends would be better for me.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I'm having trouble picturing the section you're speaking of but rocks are usually the best answer. I would love to help if the timing works out but it rarely does now that it's daddy daycare every day. Weekends would be better for me.
Screenshot_20200602-090510.png

By the x my fat fingers got me close

BPaze

no, i knew where on the map, just not sure what the trail looks like there.
at the bottom of new way down it is a perpetual muddy swamp that goes across a bunch of roots then goes into a bridge to the right or water crossing to the left. I had a hard time as well until I remembered the area right in front of the water crossing.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'd go with a ground level boardwalk if you can get materials. - side by side 2x12 (or 10)
with 6x6 on their side in the mud every 4' or so.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
so yeh agree the wood chips probably not a good idea.
500' either side of the trail is the same drainage, so a reroute will ultimately turn to mud and the old path will likely remain, so twice the mess.
Irony, not many rocks in the immediate area, so either haul them from the hill, or Pit Mining dirt which will still get soft.

I like @Patrick 2x12 with 6x6 runway.
1 day hauling, 1 day construction, less disturbance

BPaze

Times are tough, but I will donate toward the cause for supplies as well as any supplies you may want that I have

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
so yeh agree the wood chips probably not a good idea.
500' either side of the trail is the same drainage, so a reroute will ultimately turn to mud and the old path will likely remain, so twice the mess.
Irony, not many rocks in the immediate area, so either haul them from the hill, or Pit Mining dirt which will still get soft.

I like @Patrick 2x12 with 6x6 runway.
1 day hauling, 1 day construction, less disturbance

What's the time frame are we looking, so long as we're one board apart we can social distance lol

Is using an existing log of an already downed tree and do long skinny an option?

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Rode it today and see what you're talking about. Here's my non-professional opinion. No rocks right there but we can find some. Woodchips not a long term solution. Gravel would be better but need to buy and haul it in. Bridge could work but need to buy lumber and haul it in too (there are a couple boards there leftover from the latest bridge but not sure how many or if they're pressure treated). 1" thick lumber won't last unless there are 3 stringers (one to support the middle). Downed tree won't last either since we don't really have any rot resistant trees in our woods. My recommendation is rocks or bridge or combination of both (to reduce lumber need). I would love to help but my freedom is limited. I would chip in a little bit for lumber but will also keep my eyes open on trash night and Craig's list.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
can't tell if it is 2x or decking - needs to be PT, or won't last a year.

if it is PT - i could use it at ??? park.

So how does this work, Pat? Do we have to show you where we want the boardwalk or can you just figure it out yourself? When do you think it'll be done?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So how does this work, Pat? Do we have to show you where we want the boardwalk or can you just figure it out yourself? When do you think it'll be done?

i know the spot - it is approaching where everyone is waiting for me after NWD.

i'll try to get my sh*t together, and maybe WCW can go through there to measure it up.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions