Who likes to smoke their meat?

Turkey came out perfectly done. First meal right out of the smoker was kinda so so, really missed having gravy.
BUT, cold turkey sandwiches are off the hook. Dash of mayo and dill pickle!!!
Seams to me most of what I have smoked is way better the next day, after refrigerated :shrug:

My first chicken, ribs, and pork shoulder in an electric smoker my co-worker gave me. Not all at the same time, consecutive weeks. The chicken was flawless, ribs were a little dry on the outside, should've sprayed while smoking.
I wasn't prepared for the length of stall with the pork but I should've just left it alone for a few hours instead of checking the temp as often as I did. Oh well, live and learn.

Attachments

• 20201010_172945.jpg
    20201010_172945.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201107_142318.jpg
    20201107_142318.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201114_201627.jpg
    20201114_201627.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 7
More to come, but behold my future- I am going to the dark side with a pellet smoker for the overnight cooks....
E499B8DE-2FC1-491C-BEB0-84298F212DAC.jpeg
A friend’s brisket off one of these (Traeger 575) made a very compelling case.

I’m keeping the Weber Smokey mountain, but this will let me wake up to good pork butt and brisket.

Respond with ebike jokes.

More to come, but behold my future- I am going to the dark side with a pellet smoker for the overnight cooks....
View attachment 144145
A friend’s brisket off one of these (Traeger 575) made a very compelling case.

I’m keeping the Weber Smokey mountain, but this will let me wake up to good pork butt and brisket.

Respond with ebike jokes.
Smoke is smoke...

Sometimes I wish I had a pellet for more consistent results.

First brisket ready yet?

Smoke is smoke...

Sometimes I wish I had a pellet for more consistent results.

First brisket ready yet?
Lol, not yet. I pick it up tomorrow.
I’m already schooled on how to get the most/best smoke out of it-
Which pellets you use makes a big difference (pro tip: don’t use traegers), and worst case I double down adding a smoke tube.

But yeah, really looking forward to enjoying both a good nights sleep and good ‘cue.

Okay, I’ve gone to the dark side-
Today was the first smoke on the pellet smoker (Traeger 575 pro).
035257DC-A41D-4979-8E9C-9D1CFDC0E570.jpeg

D85F34C2-3AE5-4D5B-960B-4AE6ECD8EB83.jpeg
Despite starting off at 30*, it got to temp like a champ.
Also did incredibly well bouncing back from a drop (opening the grill).

After 3 hours smoking, I was able to add this welder’s blanket from Horror Freight- not entirely nec, but I think it helped with efficiency and pellet burn.
976FBA66-5442-4D7B-80D3-BBE3C764E8B5.jpeg

Of course I try a brisket out of the gate. In 30-degree weather.
Took a couple of hours longer than expected, which is to say it was right on time.
37D896F7-1E36-41F8-BE2F-C7A58F73191B.jpeg
Pleasantly surprised with the smoke ring, didn’t feel like it was smoking all that much, but proof is in the pudding.

I got half way through my plate and realized I wasn’t using bbq sauce.
That says it right there.
5108F4EE-D12D-44F0-A3A6-E175E10D6738.jpeg

I also picked up a smoke tube.
Looking forward to making my own smoked salmon.
Gonna have to pick @qclabrat’s brain on the cold smoke.

View attachment 144801

View attachment 144802

After 3 hours smoking, I was able to add this welder’s blanket from Horror Freight- not entirely nec, but I think it helped with efficiency and pellet burn.
View attachment 144804

Took a couple of hours longer than expected, which is to say it was right on time.
View attachment 144803
Pleasantly surprised with the smoke ring, didn’t feel like it was smoking all that much, but proof is in the pudding.

View attachment 144805

was just scouting the 575 for a friend who is always pressed for time. this seems like a great match of
their tech with a reasonable price tag - nice play with your blanket application.
Looks yummy.

was just scouting the 575 for a friend who is always pressed for time. this seems like a great match of
their tech with a reasonable price tag - nice play with your blanket application.
Looks yummy.
Yeah, if you trust my research, it came down to Traeger v Camp Chef.
My thinking is that Traeger is the play for dedicated smoker, Camp Chef is the one if you want one machine to rule them all (grill and smoker).
You tend to get more for your money with CC, but I opted for Traeger based on a slight edge in consistency.

The 575 did a bang up job under tough conditions, and capacity is a little more than my Weber Smokey Mt 18”.
Traeger pellets aren’t well loved for their smoke production, so I used a mix of Traeger and Pit Boss pellets.
Very satisfied.

View attachment 144801

View attachment 144802

View attachment 144804

View attachment 144803

View attachment 144805

Hi jmanic
I have been using a mailbox method in my diy box, and it works great for salmons and cheese, eggs, etc. Have a pellet tray inside, a bait bubbler pushing air into tub to keep airflow. Last for 4-6 hrs of nice smoke. I mix in some actual wood chips with the pellets for smoke mixes.
I have an electric and saves feeding chips every 20-30 minutes.

Brisket goes in early tomorrow morning.

Neil

Attachments

• 20201211_112023.jpg
    20201211_112023.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi jmanic
I have been using a mailbox method in my diy box, and it works great for salmons and cheese, eggs, etc. Have a pellet tray inside, a bait bubbler pushing air into tub to keep airflow. Last for 4-6 hrs of nice smoke. I mix in some actual wood chips with the pellets for smoke mixes.
I have an electric and saves feeding chips every 20-30 minutes.

Brisket goes in early tomorrow morning.

Neil
Nice set up!
Yeah, I definitely need to get some salmon working.
As much as we love it, it would be awesome to enjoy some home cooked.

Back
Top Bottom