Who likes to smoke their meat?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Wrap your meat before you get into trouble, son!

I timed this one pretty good. I got home about 45 minutes ago and it was at 164. Started rising, at 171 now, so should be good withing a few hours. I hope. Or it's corn on the cob, baked beans and cole slaw for dinner with a pulled pork midnight snack.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Kick off the weekend party....
1/3 of a chimney lit - i usually keep it closer to the front, to not ignite the whole tray, but
oh well! i over-filled the water so i got that going. can always add more charcoal.

1599322985453.png

Frozen salmon (small $) goes in for 1:15 - let cool, make dip!
cream cheese, sour cream, dill, lemon.

Not pictured - whole chicken, and pork loin. they go on later.

1599323069646.png

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Kick off the weekend party....
1/3 of a chimney lit - i usually keep it closer to the front, to not ignite the whole tray, but
oh well! i over-filled the water so i got that going. can always add more charcoal.

View attachment 138716

Frozen salmon (small $) goes in for 1:15 - let cool, make dip!
cream cheese, sour cream, dill, lemon.

Not pictured - whole chicken, and pork loin. they go on later.

View attachment 138718

How long to smoke whole chicken? I've only grilled them.

Patrick

Staff member
How long to smoke whole chicken? I've only grilled them.

3.5 hours @250ish

i may try to spatchcock the next one.

shoulder sitting at 160 now - just wrapped it.
I usually don't, but i want to see if this really speeds things up.

Also had to add more charcoal

Patrick

Staff member
Well the wrapping of the shoulder avoided the stall.
it rocketed from 160->200 in 4 hours for a 9 hour cook.
didn't have the nice crisp bark, but still blackened nicely.
super juicy, and pulled easy.

Chicken was very moist. I should have added some wood when i put it in - had a charcoal smoke
but lacked depth. I also don't get how rubbing the skin is going to make a diff with the chicken when
smoking it makes the skin nasty. will experiment.

ribs were very moist.

one mistake i made was putting the chicken above the pork.
didn't need the chicken dripping hitting the ribs and shoulder.
1599359449595.png
1599359474957.png
1599359488654.png
1599359499470.png
1599359520124.png

JonF

You just can't get crispy skin on a bird without cooking at roasting temps. There are some tricks you can do but they just dont mesasure up to the snap of a roasted bird. You can use baking powder on the skin but what this really is is a drying agent that pulls the moisture from the skin. It will not be rubbery, rather, it gets dry and leathery--not really all that appetizing.

Looks great nonetheless!

BTW, is that a jerusalem sage bush in the background? We have those all over the place at the office and i cant figure out if thats what they are.

Patrick

Staff member
crispy skin on a bird

even putting it in the oven at 450 for 15 minutes doesn't work. i'm not a skin guy anyway.

everything was moist, but not my best rub/prep. it ate!

It is a Leatherleaf. nice, flowering border shrub. blocks the a/c units from the public space.

ekuhn

Well the wrapping of the shoulder avoided the stall.
it rocketed from 160->200 in 4 hours for a 9 hour cook.
didn't have the nice crisp bark, but still blackened nicely.
super juicy, and pulled easy.

Chicken was very moist. I should have added some wood when i put it in - had a charcoal smoke
but lacked depth. I also don't get how rubbing the skin is going to make a diff with the chicken when
smoking it makes the skin nasty. will experiment.

ribs were very moist.

one mistake i made was putting the chicken above the pork.
didn't need the chicken dripping hitting the ribs and shoulder.
View attachment 138739
View attachment 138740
View attachment 138741
View attachment 138742
View attachment 138743
Impressive all around. Cooking spray (Pam/non stick stuff) on the chicken skin helps crisp it up.

Dingo

Pit Barrel smoked 8 pound turkey breast. It got to 175* in just over 3 hours:shrug: It never stalled. I don't get it. Last summer in 95* heat, whole chickens would take longer due to the stall. Today it was 52* cooked up perfect.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 4

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Pit Barrel smoked 8 pound turkey breast. It got to 175* in just over 3 hours:shrug: It never stalled. I don't get it. Last summer in 95* heat, whole chickens would take longer due to the stall. Today it was 52* cooked up perfect.
What temp? Planning on smoking one for Thanksgiving.

ekuhn

I plan on smoking the turkey this thanksgiving too.

Going to do a simple brine and use some pecan wood. Baste in butter and hope for great results. Ive watched Franklin BBQ, HowtoBBQright, Meat Church and a few others all on Youtube. The rub is just what I need to figure out.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I plan on smoking the turkey this thanksgiving too.

Going to do a simple brine and use some pecan wood. Baste in butter and hope for great results. Ive watched Franklin BBQ, HowtoBBQright, Meat Church and a few others all on Youtube. The rub is just what I need to figure out.
We were just discussing this this morning. WIth no normal pan drippings are you making a separate gravy? We are doing a Bourbon and Bacon smoked turkey. My wife has the recipe. However they don't make any mention of gravy.

JonF

We were just discussing this this morning. WIth no normal pan drippings are you making a separate gravy? We are doing a Bourbon and Bacon smoked turkey. My wife has the recipe. However they don't make any mention of gravy.
You can catch drippings in a smoker if you put the meat in or on a tray and elevate it up with a rack. I have some silicone thingies that fits a roasting pan but you dont need anything special, make some "logs" out of rolled up aluminum foil and set the meat on top of those. The only downside is that the portion of the meat facing the tray, even when elevated out of the drippings, sometimes does not develop the same bark or, in the case of higher roasting temps, may not cook as evenly. But I always cook my pork butts elevated in foil pans to reclaim all the juice for mixing back in when shredding. I've done the same for a prime rib and a bird before. Works well enough.

ekuhn

One of the videos I watched had the turkey up on a cookie cooling rack inside a pan. If not - Heinz brown gravy it is!

I'm all ears on this bourbon and bacon. Care to share?

Top Bottom