What's your best 29er rear tire for slippery rocks?

pxs231

I was using a set of maxis Ikon exo's on my 29er full suspension setup tubeless and was pretty satisfied with the grip. However on a wawayanda ride a rock punctured through the tread area and ripped a hole through.... I was pretty disappointed that my $70 tire was now useless as a tubeless tire after 2 months of riding. So I'm riding on WTB Bronson's in the rear and I'm once again disappointed with the grip. I may as well be riding on ice. I usually run 30psi on my rear tires.
I was generally happy with ignitors in the back as well (that's what I run in the front) but the ones I had were not exo and the sidewalls were done pretty quickly with heavy north jersey riding.
So does anyone have any good suggestions (aside from lowering my pressure)?

i just got back from ringwood ramapo and my bontrager 29-3s (team edition.. .of course the expensive ones. ..) were awesome on the wet rocks. ran them at 18-20 psi front and 25 in the rear.

Simple , a 26er ! LOL jk .... I have had the best luck with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and you can run them low pressure , setup tubeless VERY good , and they run big on sizes. It really is a do it all tire .

Simple , a 26er ! LOL jk .... I have had the best luck with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and you can run them low pressure , setup tubeless VERY good , and they run big on sizes. It really is a do it all tire .

same the dampfs is what i rock on my bike

After reading more about the Bronson, most people seem to like it for a front tire. The tread seems to be very directional, favoring stopping traction for a front or rear tire, at the expense forward traction. I think for race the I'm going to flip the rear tire around and I should get some improvement. If not, my next tire will be one of above. Thanks for the recommendations.

lower the pressure if you can, 30 psi is too high. and avoid the wet rocks or transfer your weight to lighten the torque when the rear wheel hits so you glide over it. I run the saguaro's on my ss rear in all weather

Agreed, but unloading and using your upper body only works if we are talking about a small stretch of slick rock, not 10-20 feet of continuous rock.

my ignitors have worked very weel for me in the wet and xdry. great tire but they seem to pinch way too much. so i'm now done with them... wish they had more volume.

my ignitors have worked very weel for me in the wet and xdry. great tire but they seem to pinch way too much. so i'm now done with them... wish they had more volume.

Go tubeless and you won't have that problem. :D

Seriously, Ignitors are the best that I have found.

Tim

i have been running them tubeless since i've had them. On my third set and refuse to try anything else. I have been lately running them harder and all has gone well.

Just this morning I installed a Sagauro on the rear of my SS (tubeless). I bought one for the front but I am not sure if I should even bother switching out the WTB nanoraptor that is already up front. Not to hijack this, but anybody got an opinion on that?

I switched over 29 x 2.4 ardent and have been very happy with them so far. They may be a bit on the heavy side but at 23 psi you almost get an extra inch of suspension from the tires which really smooths things out.
I rode on them through the winter and because of the wide tread spacing the did a great job of shedding mud and snow as well.

I switched over 29 x 2.4 ardent and have been very happy with them so far. They may be a bit on the heavy side but at 23 psi you almost get an extra inch of suspension from the tires which really smooths things out.
I rode on them through the winter and because of the wide tread spacing the did a great job of shedding mud and snow as well.

If you can deal with the weight, they are solid tires.

Picked up a new pair of the 29 x 2.35 Ikons. Noticeably lighter than the Ardent and corners better than the 2.2 which I'd previously been running on my FS. Side knobs are larger and stick out from the casing more. As a rear tire it seems to bite better climbing, especially in loose dirt/gravel where the 2.2 would spin out. I pretty much ran the Ardent 2.4 on my SS year round and love that tire but really like the roll and lighter weight of the 2.35 Ikon on the heavier FS. Fills the gap between the Ikon 2.2 and Ardent 2.4 nicely. Running the exo version and has held up well to northern NJ rocks. Running tubeless 25ish psi. I can see the 2.35 up front/2.2 out back also being a great combo.

Ride the knobby nic snakeskin in the big size on Sunday in the rain at Stewart. I was amazed at the traction on the wet rocks. Really impressive. I guess it should be at $90+ per tire.

I was happy with the Conti mountain king 2.2 on the wet rocks in Jungle on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom