What have you done to your bike today?

Installed a PNW loam lever dropper lever on the fat bike and also put on the new outbound lighting “hangover” light using a gopro mount
201B3EED-FC53-4757-B541-701A946D72A9.jpeg

Swapped out PDX race (lol) tires for some 38c gravel tires on the spare wheel set.
B6D1F9BF-3E38-4A2A-8D0D-2062EAD02F02.jpeg

Specialized Pathfinder Pro 700/38 mounted to Stan’s Iron Cross hoops. Seated with a shitty floor pump with no problems. 2oz Stan’s Sealant in each tire, will see if they’re still holding air tomorrow. No clearance problems on the front, the rear is a little close. Don’t think the 42c’s would fit the rear on my Boone.

Today had the real, trail maiden voyage of the Mukky, prepped it wit 3m tape everywhere but eventually got frustrated at how much time it was taking so I skipped the seat stays (what’s going to happen anyway)...which is exactly what was scratched when I had a crash...why didn’t I stay on the white trail instead of going for the steeper, less fun blue where I had the crash? I never go for the hard path, always the easier...bike is fun, not really into the wobblying and bouncing at low speed but all of the rest is gold!

You may be able to improve the "wobblying and bouncing" by experimenting with your tire pressure. Where were you riding, and what was your tire pressure? Also, I can't recall if you're riding rigid, or invested in a suspension fork.

...and, yes, the frame-saver tape is a pain to apply (in my experience).

You may be able to improve the "wobblying and bouncing" by experimenting with your tire pressure. Where were you riding, and what was your tire pressure? Also, I can't recall if you're riding rigid, or invested in a suspension fork.

...and, yes, the frame-saver tape is a pain to apply (in my experience).

I was riding Ringwood, not too technical though. I need to check the pressure, it's mostly my weakness in setting up the bike. But it's on the high side (definitely over 15 psi). And the bike is full rigid.

I used invisaframe on the Knolly and while still labour intensive, having all the pieces already cut up for you was extremely helpful. The 3M tape is thicker, probably a better protection, but it doesn't want to comply to the frame shape much. I ended up using blue masking tape to hold the 3M tape tight on the frame... I was thinking about hitting it with a heatgun on a very low setting...

I will try it as soon as I have a chance, hopefully tomorrow. One thing I noticed is how much more grip the fat tires have on any terrain as compared to the 2.6” tires I run on the Knolly. I could clear a number of passages that I had to walk before.

I will try it as soon as I have a chance, hopefully tomorrow. One thing I noticed is how much more grip the fat tires have on any terrain as compared to the 2.6” tires I run on the Knolly. I could clear a number of passages that I had to walk before.

that is why my fatbike is the fun bike.

@JimN will show you the way!

Ha.....welcome to the positive aspects of + tires and fatbikes :)

I was riding Ringwood, not too technical though. I need to check the pressure, it's mostly my weakness in setting up the bike. But it's on the high side (definitely over 15 psi). And the bike is full rigid.

I used invisaframe on the Knolly and while still labour intensive, having all the pieces already cut up for you was extremely helpful. The 3M tape is thicker, probably a better protection, but it doesn't want to comply to the frame shape much. I ended up using blue masking tape to hold the 3M tape tight on the frame... I was thinking about hitting it with a heatgun on a very low setting...

Definitely drop the pressure for the next ride. And the heat gun is the way to go. I use a heat gun for the frame protection material I put on. Makes for a better bond.

Before buying my first fatbike, @jimvreeland lent me his for a test ride. I went up a short, steep hill covered with loose rocks at Chimney Rock that was a traction challenge on my 29er. It was one of those "ah-ha" moments!

Swapped out PDX race (lol) tires for some 38c gravel tires on the spare wheel set.
View attachment 113925

Specialized Pathfinder Pro 700/38 mounted to Stan’s Iron Cross hoops. Seated with a shitty floor pump with no problems. 2oz Stan’s Sealant in each tire, will see if they’re still holding air tomorrow. No clearance problems on the front, the rear is a little close. Don’t think the 42c’s would fit the rear on my Boone.

38c is the correct answer for gravel anywhoo. 42s look cool but aren't as fast.

Back
Top Bottom