What have you done to your bike today?

Although SRAM pretty much has the world's worst reputation based on their previous efforts, the new Guides are really fantastic. I find the Shimano levers to be a bit too small.

I actually prefer the shimano levers.

But I was very VERY hesitant on these due to avids reputation and from the less than stellar reviews from friends who ride them. But after testing guides on trail, enjoying them so much at creek riding downhill and their good reviews online I decided to give them a shot. Happy thus far

Built her up a while ago..

11694272_10206055290332821_1986308980_n.jpg

View attachment 26094 Got the firmer spring for my rear shock. Way way better.

If you have a coil spring, it totally pays off to measure the sag and get the proper spring.

I also added Carbon bars and old school Oury grips (moto wired on). The combo of the two made my hands go from aching terribly to happy.

View attachment 26092 View attachment 26093
This post makes me warm and fuzzy.

I convinced my kid he doesn't need a moto you can tinker the crap out of down hill bikes and get them right there and have a sculpted course to lay the hammer down. More people should try down hill it will make them better on a bike period.

This post makes me warm and fuzzy.

I convinced my kid he doesn't need a moto you can tinker the crap out of down hill bikes and get them right there and have a sculpted course to lay the hammer down. More people should try down hill it will make them better on a bike period.

Until you ride it....you think you cant. You're comment reminds me that I need to hit some downhill park stuff just to keep my edge for the usual stuff.....'cause you are spot on correct.

tore down and rebuilt some steel bikes for a yard sale, still trying to narrow down which ones to keep, only plan on saving two, as you can see it's a disaster area at the moment
IMG_7388[1].JPG

Bob Jackson Legano 653 with tri-color 600EX (frame was always too big at 58cm)
more to come (Bianchi Limited, Ciocc Design 84, Ibis Spanky)
IMG_7390[1].JPG

Reactions: rlb
Performing a full overhaul of the VPP rear suspension on my Bronson. At the same time, will be converting the drivetrain from 3x10 to 1x10 using WolfTooth Components' 30T ring and 42T giant cog. Its gonna ride like a brand-new bike.

Performing a full overhaul of the VPP rear suspension on my Bronson. At the same time, will be converting the drivetrain from 3x10 to 1x10 using WolfTooth Components' 30T ring and 42T giant cog. Its gonna ride like a brand-new bike.
Awesome, I just converted my ibis to a 1x10 drivetrain, I didn't put the 42 on the back as I noticed that the 32 up front with the 36 in the back is plenty at least for me and where I ride. Hope you like it!

Now that the singlespeed is getting back into the rotation,
I figured it needed some attention.

First stop: Grips.
photo%201_zpsfmb2jgdr.jpg

For my money, you can't beat some Rogues.

Next up, a joint present to both my bike and my knees: a 20T cog,
and a chain while we're doing things
photo%203_zpsnw99wces.jpg

That's after the chain was already dirty, but you get the idea.

So all is going well, except it's still set up tubed.
That's no good, because I'm either pinch-flatting and getting mocked by Jimmy Soundz,
or I'm running ridiculously high pressure.

So I tried ghetto tubelessing the stock wheels (Alex DH19) using the Gorilla tape method,
and had zero confidence in the result.
Maybe a second wrap of tape would have worked out,
but I don't love the narrow profile for tubelessness.

So I worked with a pair of Spec Stout-SL wheels I had in the parts bin.
On paper, they are more likely to agree to be tubeless.
So I set up the rear wheel tubeless as the guinea pig.
If it holds, maybe then I'll do the front.

The wheel was a 10-sp QR hub, but Dan at Tenafly quick swapped this out for a bolt on axle.
Then I added the spacer kit to hold it all in place.
photo%202_zpsvwcpnptq.jpg

So I'm hoping the trails don't get too wet so I can do the shakedown ride tomorrow,
otherwise it's trial by fire at Jungle on Sunday.
photo%201_zpsavwjkkcr.jpg

photo_zpsjgthv6za.jpg

Thanks @jimvreeland

Last edited:
So I tried ghetto tubelessing the stock wheels (Alex DH19) using the Gorilla tape method,
I have some crappy Alex TD20's on my hardtail that I ran with the split 26" tube method. Worked great for months. I don't ride really hard so I don't know how it would hold under agressive cornering. Only reason I mention this is because you're making the inner width a tad smaller because of the tube thickness, but the rubber on rubber seal is nice. My rear actually held air with just a track pump and no sealant, but of course put it in. Just make sure to wash the powder from the inside of the tube after you cut it down the length.

I have some crappy Alex TD20's on my hardtail that I ran with the split 26" tube method. Worked great for months. I don't ride really hard so I don't know how it would hold under agressive cornering. Only reason I mention this is because you're making the inner width a tad smaller because of the tube thickness, but the rubber on rubber seal is nice. My rear actually held air with just a track pump and no sealant, but of course put it in. Just make sure to wash the powder from the inside of the tube after you cut it down the length.
Thanks. I had considered this, converting the spec rims seemed like the better option. In theory its an upgrade, who doesn't like upgrades?!?

That's no good, because I'm either pinch-flatting and getting mocked by Jimmy Soundz,

The wheel was a 10-sp QR hub, but Dan at Tenafly quick swapped this out for a bolt on axle.

So I'm hoping the trails don't get too wet so I can do the shakedown ride tomorrow,

photo_zpsjgthv6za.jpg

Thanks @jimvreeland
What are running up front?

No pics, but finally fixed my rubbing front brake. Also replaced my rear Ignitor that's been peeing stans for a while. Noticed it was missing a few knobs too. Never had any problems with Ignitors until I bought 2 from @gtluke like 3 years ago. Guess it can't be too bad if I'm till using one of them.

What are running up front?
Up front is a 2bliss spec butcher 2.3, currently tubed compressing a double wrap of g-tape. The front I can run lower psi on, so I'm less concerned about converting that.

photo_zpsjgthv6za.jpg

Thanks @jimvreeland

did u clean that chain with a watermelon

Back
Top Bottom