What Bird Did You See Today?

serviceguy

Yep, I was on a solo night ride in the Wissahickon, headed south from Bells Mills on the main loop. An owl grabbed my helmet mounted light, realized it wasn't food, and flew off in front of me. Before I realized what it was I have to admit it was the most scared I ever was on a night ride. Pretty much full terror. Needless to say I ducked out to forbidden drive and called it a night. Squirrels sound like sasquatch is in the bushes when you are riding alone at night, but the owl had me thinking I was being attacked by some supernatural philly dwelling demon or something. Absolutely horrible, but fun in retrospect.

Squatchy as hell...

Danimal

20190911_163720.jpg
Lost racing pigeon that I rescued in waldwick. Found it just walking around aimlessly while doing some work. Was able to grab it and drop it off at the animal hospital down the street and they were able to find out its details from the tags. Turns out it was from Perth amboy and the secretary of the racing club picked it up yesterday. Very pretty bird !

one piece crank

Saw six turkeys on my dusk ride last night. As I approached them I couldn’t really tell what they were (due to distance and available light). I could just see multiple critter movement and first thought coyote. They stuck to the trail and as I tried to close the gap two finally took to the air...

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got some pics of a hawk release at the nature preserve I walk at every day near my office.

Jeanne Gural, Executive Director of Woodford Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge releases a rehabilitated Red-Tailed Hawk back in to the wild at Palmyra Nature Cove.

Sitting behind me are like 75 school children. Everyone thought I was the press lol.

8471AAEE-381E-4788-9C33-9E2268074938.jpeg0DC07ACC-3AD6-48BB-8F9B-B2CCBA096CEE.jpeg4F76318C-A571-4E17-867F-3889389A2FD6.jpeg942D1764-7F79-4474-9942-98D73F2B0748.jpeg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw these two guys just sunning themselves atop these utility poles.
It was weird, they were stock still even as we approached, only moving once the wonderpup started barking his fool head off.
Those are some big chickuns!
CBCA7448-9A54-4453-A64A-EA80DC957C90.jpeg

A80F195B-835D-40AE-A6F7-B04EDF39A918.jpeg

thegock

IMG_20191019_142007-01.jpeg

I don't know which hawk this is, but it was on the disc golf course bridge at Chimney Rock rail when I rode across today. He (?) took off about 3 feet from my left elbow. Tail ATB less copper than a Red Tail Hawk and bigger black speckles on the white thorax.

Very big and majestic when he flew north, low along the ground west, away from that bridge.

Last edited:

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's an immature Red Tail. They don't get the red on the tail feathers until after their first year IIRC. Great shot, and even better getting the fly-by. They're amazing birds.

Top Bottom