What Bird Did You See Today?

I saw a @pooriggy in the wild yesterday, right near Twin Elephant in Chatham. Unfortunately, I was driving and moved too slowly with the camera.

I saw a @pooriggy in the wild yesterday, right near Twin Elephant in Chatham. Unfortunately, I was driving and moved too slowly with the camera.
With the addition of the new 7-eleven and traffic light near there, that area is a real shit show. It's nearly impossible to ride at Dave Taylor lactic threshold...i have to default to survival mode.

Out for my usual pre-dawn ride when a Screech Owl tried to catch my bar-mounted light! The impact was over in a second and I watched the owl flutter to the ground behind me, as I slowed to a stop, still unsure what just hit me. I turned around and saw the owl, spread-eagled on its back (insult intended). I was mostly concerned with its vitals so I completely forgot to take pics. I nudged it with my tire and it twitched. I nudged it again and it flipped up on its feet and into a little fluff ball. I went to nudge it once more and it flew up to a tree branch. Whew!

Out for my usual pre-dawn ride when a Screech Owl tried to catch my bar-mounted light! The impact was over in a second and I watched the owl flutter to the ground behind me, as I slowed to a stop, still unsure what just hit me. I turned around and saw the owl, spread-eagled on its back (insult intended). I was mostly concerned with its vitals so I completely forgot to take pics. I nudged it with my tire and it twitched. I nudged it again and it flipped up on its feet and into a little fluff ball. I went to nudge it once more and it flew up to a tree branch. Whew!
Pre dawn, I guess you didn't see the sign!
bird sign.jpg

@KenS has an owl/helmet story.

Yep, I was on a solo night ride in the Wissahickon, headed south from Bells Mills on the main loop. An owl grabbed my helmet mounted light, realized it wasn't food, and flew off in front of me. Before I realized what it was I have to admit it was the most scared I ever was on a night ride. Pretty much full terror. Needless to say I ducked out to forbidden drive and called it a night. Squirrels sound like sasquatch is in the bushes when you are riding alone at night, but the owl had me thinking I was being attacked by some supernatural philly dwelling demon or something. Absolutely horrible, but fun in retrospect.

...Squirrels sound like sasquatch is in the bushes when you are riding alone at night, but the owl had me thinking I was being attacked by some supernatural philly dwelling demon or something. Absolutely horrible, but fun in retrospect.

You were safe, the Jersey Devil doesn't go to Philly...

Back
Top Bottom