What Bird Did You See Today?

I am always appreciative of owls. Very cool. I saw a big barn owl on Sunday night @ 7 in Dickerson Mine. Was on a very low branch and swooped away real low to ground.

4 ft wingspan easy.

CD200913-D2E5-41C7-BA94-C2C4F4441FED.jpeg

This is a Cedar Waxwing. I think I've mentioned before that my wife is a huge bird nerd. We were at Whipple Dam State Park out in Rothrock, and she saw a couple of these guys. She actually said out loud to me that this was a "bucket list bird" for her, and that we had to get pics. We stood still for thirty minutes to get some shots. It was awesome :p

banded pigeon - that can't find its way home. of course, if there is water, food, and shelter...why go home?

View attachment 101123

saw a grosbeak too, but the ipotato camera made a mess of that.

They'll tolerate you picking them up if it's convenient. Wrap over the wings from behind, and grab the feet between your middle/ring fingers. Sit it in a cat carrier witha bowl of water and bird feed (high protein/fat, look for worms). Once you copy the band ID, you can call a vet that deals with them (West Trenton is one) or look up the band online.

They'll tolerate you picking them up if it's convenient. Wrap over the wings from behind, and grab the feet between your middle/ring fingers. Sit it in a cat carrier witha bowl of water and bird feed (high protein/fat, look for worms). Once you copy the band ID, you can call a vet that deals with them (West Trenton is one) or look up the band online.

apparently the owner doesn't want him back since he couldn't find his way....or just doesn't want to go.
Last one that stopped at my house stayed for a day to refuel, then took off. The outdoor cats were probably part of the reason....

apparently the owner doesn't want him back since he couldn't find his way....or just doesn't want to go.
Last one that stopped at my house stayed for a day to refuel, then took off. The outdoor cats were probably part of the reason....

Yes, but they do get lost sometimes. Winners can be $$$$ birds, and even they get lost. (Sauce: I worked for a pigeon fancier).

A Hummingbird in the wild at Wawayanda, and A Scarlet Tanager in my own neighbourhood.
no photos I was either riding or driving
We've had a hummingbird making a visit at our place a few times a day. Saw a goldfinch this morning feeding on the wild flowers too.

Good week out west

Bald eagle
Golden eagle
Osprey
Tree swallow
Coots
Mergansers
White swans
Sandhill crane
Mallards

Other $.05 birds. Finch, Sparrow, etc

I did a lot of paddling in the Barnegat Bay this week. I crossed the inter-coastal and kayaked over to Island Beach stare park, every nest box had an Osprey family, there where hundreds of them...great to see.

This bird could be seen fishing in the back bays along the sedge island shallows.
Willet
Willet b57-13-416_V.jpg

Back
Top Bottom