Wharton Conditions

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There are two maintenance days in November, Sunday 11/14/21 and Thursday 11/18/21, nine to noon, maybe more.
Inclement weather/conditions cancels. RSVP to sj_trailrider AT yahoo.com for the meeting and maintenance location. Work plans TBD. Please bring water, gloves, suitable footware and a sense of humor. You will be required to complete and sign a waiver if you haven't already done so. Trail tools will be available. Rainbow glitter might be used. Katana Boy will likely appear. Wharton Volunteer Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.

pibbles

There are two maintenance days in November, Sunday 11/14/21 and Thursday 11/18/21, nine to noon, maybe more.
Inclement weather/conditions cancels. RSVP to sj_trailrider AT yahoo.com for the meeting and maintenance location. Work plans TBD. Please bring water, gloves, suitable footware and a sense of humor. You will be required to complete and sign a waiver if you haven't already done so. Trail tools will be available. Rainbow glitter might be used. Katana Boy will likely appear. Wharton Volunteer Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.
(Note to self: don't forget the glitter!)

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Our Thursday 11/18/21 trail work session is cancelled. Because our Sunday 11/14/21 work on the west side of the Huckleberry (blue bicycle) Trail went very well. Very well, except for maybe a very cramped and tight ride back and forth to there in the truck! Big thanks to; John D, @sj_john , @moray42 , @pibbles , @Sandshark @slingblade_uhhuh , and Jim (everybody in sNJ knows Jim aka:Chuck Norris) for Sunday’s work of brushing back the brush and removing dead trailside trail trees that were close to dropping. The amount of work completed on Sunday would not have been possible with out the Saturday work completed by Rick C, and Frank L. These two bike trail Saturday sawyers removed the fallen and about-to-fall dead trees from the Huckleberry Trail’s west side.

Attachments

• group.jpeg
    group.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 124
  • tempImageAEADEz.png
    tempImageAEADEz.png
    936.2 KB · Views: 125

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
BTW

There is a motorcycle event in the area on 11/27/21. Use caution when crossing sand roads and fire cuts. Leave your ear buds at home.

This years firearm deer hunting days are: Youth Day Firearm is 11/20/21; Six Day Firearm deer hunting is 12/6/21 to 12/11/21. You do not want to be riding in Wharton Forest that week.

Last edited:

moray42

Merman
Attn: @slingblade_uhhuh Not sure if it came down since last weekend or not, but there’s quite a bit of debris on blue between red and white intersections. Most are small logs that can be pretty easily rolled over, but there are a couple in 3-5” range that are sitting above grade. I don’t bunny hop well enough for those. No saw with me today so there wasn’t much I could do with anything I found. Moved what I could and below am including some rough positions of other noted hazards. Small diameter leaners, but hung up enough I couldn’t shake them free and run. Forgot to mark it, but there is also 1 on western green singletrack within about 1/4 mile out past the blue hiking trail crossing.

Leaners
A8A64ABB-D0D0-418E-88B5-4EB2C02FB1D9.jpeg
EE1A350E-DA69-4875-B1BD-A8643289D406.jpeg
8E6F5375-AA7B-4795-8ACB-49BDA25D0AA8.jpeg
ACC87D21-487E-4BB6-BDC3-AAC85604A436.jpeg
DD47735C-CD80-496C-8DB7-F8B75D477B75.jpeg
8ECDD401-01EF-47CF-B385-5C6E129785D8.jpeg

Downed pine
5FC7BB63-30F4-4A83-B59E-6024EA63B77E.jpeg
C6E66284-7E6D-416F-B5EE-289D2B1710AE.jpeg

Suspect this will fall away from the trail, but it’s badly rotting and close to the tread.
6DFC4603-BD1B-457E-B238-033C032630C5.jpeg
4DEEAA25-EBE3-4895-B9DC-9031B5E19B66.jpeg

Last edited:

pibbles

Attn: @slingblade_uhhuh Not sure if it came down since last weekend or not, but there’s quite a bit of debris on blue between red and white intersections. Most are small logs that can be pretty easily rolled over, but there are a couple in 3-5” range that are sitting above grade. I don’t bunny hop well enough for those. No saw with me today so there wasn’t much I could do with anything I found. Moved what I could and below am including some rough positions of other noted hazards. Small diameter leaners, but hung up enough I couldn’t shake them free and run. Forgot to mark it, but there is also 1 on western green singletrack within about 1/4 mile out past the blue hiking trail crossing.

Leaners
View attachment 171356View attachment 171357View attachment 171358View attachment 171359View attachment 171360View attachment 171361
Downed pine
View attachment 171362View attachment 171363

Suspect this will fall away from the trail, but it’s badly rotting and close to the tread.
View attachment 171364View attachment 171365
Shoulda just climbed em like @sj_john!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The next Wharton Forest trail maintenance day is Sunday December 12. Inclement weather/conditions cancels. Work plan includes the TeaBerry Trail and the middle mile of the Huckleberry Trail. Meet at 9:00 near the trail head. We'll be back by noon. Please bring water, gloves, suitable footware and a sense of humor. You will be required to complete and sign a waiver if you haven't already done so. Trail tools will be available. Wharton Volunteer Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.

pibbles

The next Wharton Forest trail maintenance day is Sunday December 12. Inclement weather/conditions cancels. Work plan includes the TeaBerry Trail and the middle mile of the Huckleberry Trail. Meet at 9:00 near the trail head. We'll be back by noon. Please bring water, gloves, suitable footware and a sense of humor. You will be required to complete and sign a waiver if you haven't already done so. Trail tools will be available. Wharton Volunteer Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.
Remind me to return your towell....

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
A lot was accomplished during our 12/12/21 Trail Work day. Bill rode back on the PBT (orange) and chopped out some fallen trees. JohnE rode around the inner loops, sawing out blowdowns, and nailing up more red, white, blue, and green trail markers than most would think is possible. John D., Rick S., KenS (the other KenS), and KatanaBoy attacked the inner loops behind JohnE, removing more of the blowdowns and hung up leaners seen in Moray42's 11/20/21 post. Thanks guys!

IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The next Wharton Forest MTB trail maintenance day is Sunday January 9. Inclement weather/conditions cancels.

Work plan includes clipping back the east side of the Penn Branch Trail. Meet at 9:00 near the trail head. We'll be back by noon. Please bring water, gloves, suitable footware and a sense of humor. You will be required to complete and sign a waiver for 2022. Trail tools will be available. Wharton Volunteer MTB Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The next Wharton Forest MTB trail maintenance day is Sunday January 9. Inclement weather/conditions cancels.

Work plan includes clipping back the east side of the Penn Branch Trail. Meet at 9:00 near the trail head. We'll be back by noon. Please bring water, gloves, suitable footware and a sense of humor. You will be required to complete and sign a waiver for 2022. Trail tools will be available. Wharton Volunteer MTB Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.
1/9/22 trail work is canceled.
Its currently sloppy out there and forecasted to become sloppier.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
If you find yourself on the trail when the the trail is thawing and turning to a sand slurry, please save the trail and jump onto the adjacent sand roads. The volunteer trail maintenance crew thanks you for taking this action. It saves the single track from becoming loose sugar sand.

There are restrooms on the side of the visitor center, and 24/7 porto-sans on the side of the parking lot. Please do not frighten/annoy someones grandmother by using the Batsto Visitor Center Parking lot as a urinal.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are restrooms on the side of the visitor center, and 24/7 porto-sans on the side of the parking lot. Please do not frighten/annoy someones grandmother by using the Batsto Visitor Center Parking lot as a urinal.

it bothers me that you need to post this.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thoughts on trail conditions tomorrow (Sunday) morning?
If you are going, go early before it thaws. If you find yourself on the trail when the trail is thawing and turning to a sand slurry, please save the trail and jump onto the adjacent sand roads. The sand roads will be good to ride.

The popular "it drains well" argument is BS when the ground is frozen one foot down and only the top inches are thawed and turning to a sugar sand slurry.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions