Wharton Conditions

So my chigger infestation is now resulting in fever, chills, etc. The itching has subsided but I haven't enjoyed the last 6 days. Bite area around ankles does not seem infected. They don't spread lyme. At the doctors now...and taking blood for tests. Has anyone gone through this?
Nope. Never anything like that. Sounds like you got somethin else goin on there...

So my chigger infestation is now resulting in fever, chills, etc. The itching has subsided but I haven't enjoyed the last 6 days. Bite area around ankles does not seem infected. They don't spread lyme. At the doctors now...and taking blood for tests. Has anyone gone through this?
Sounds like Lyme. But you should really wait for approximately 6 weeks after to be tested. Doc will probably put you on a cycle of antibiotics.

Maybe you picked up chiggers and a tick. Honestly I don't go near Wharton until it gets cold because of the risk of dealing with either.

No chance had a tick. Scrubbed the chiggers off for a while in the shower when I got home. No tick would have stayed on. But with a 2hr ride and a 1.5 hr commute back home that was enough time for chiggers to do their damage. If the blood test finds provides any information that deserves a more specific warning, I'll post it here.

A big thanks to; Jim (everyone in sNJ knows Jim), Rick C., and Frank L., for their work last week brushing back the Penn Branch Trail (bicycle orange)! Thanks Guys!

The Batsto Fall Antique Glass and Bottle Show is this Sunday, 9/19/21 9:00 to 3:00. Expect the parking lot to be busy.

The next Batsto Trail Maintenance Day is Sunday 10/10/21. Details to follow

Thought I would report back on the chiggers thing. Based on blood test results I have been informed I am positive for West Nile Virus. Seems unrelated to the chigger incident, so I guess a really unfortunate set of circumstances. Unusual symptoms seem to have abated so that's a good thing. Chigger bites not itching anymore either. September sucked.

Thought I would report back on the chiggers thing. Based on blood test results I have been informed I am positive for West Nile Virus. Seems unrelated to the chigger incident, so I guess a really unfortunate set of circumstances. Unusual symptoms seem to have abated so that's a good thing. Chigger bites not itching anymore either. September sucked.
Glad you got checked and feeling better. Did they add more antibiotics?

Glad you got checked and feeling better. Did they add more antibiotics?
No because it is a virus. There is no medication for it. Either your body clears it or the other way around. Doc didn't think chigger bites needed antibiotics but we did discuss doxy just to be safe. Also, not all blood tests are back yet. Might still have scrub typhus for the hat trick 😜

"There are no reported human cases of the virus at this time." - I need to make sure my doc reports to CDC...

This is getting more interesting. Abandon all hope all yee who enter New Jersey:

1632867675389.png

The chigger -> somewhat associated diagnosis probably deserves is own thread. Yes it is a risk of South Jersey Summers.

Last edited:
HEADS UP If you are riding THE MTB TRAILS this weekend.

I received a message from a MTB rider today... *Hey it’s Friday afternoon I’m riding blue/orange and encounterd dirt bikers who said their event has permission to use our trails next 3 days is that true?*

I poked around and found the link to the 3 day event listed below

I emailed the Wharton superintendent for clarification.

I received a message from a MTB rider today... *Hey it’s Friday afternoon I’m riding blue/orange and encounterd dirt bikers who said their event has permission to use our trails next 3 days is that true?*

Looks like they might just be using firecuts but my concern is that they were observed on the bicycle trails. Lots of people ride these trails every winter and even though some don't feel our south jersey trails to be challenging, I think most people here respect the work we've done over the years and can appreciate the enormity of the task of mowing , chopping out trees raking and reroutes over 35 miles of trails.
If this is true and motorbikes have indeed been given permission to use the bicycle trails it shows how much we're appreciated at Batsto by the people that wear the white shirts...

Sue sent a follow-up... *The rider I spoke to said he could see trail clearly marked for mountain bikes only but the GPS directions he was given took him down blue/orange.* SMH I guess. The GPS made me do it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions