Wharton Conditions

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I headed to Wharton yesterday afternoon on a whim after seeing the accumulation for the Hammonton area said there were 0" of snow. I've been off the bike and the trainer for a while because of physical issues, but I decided I was just going to go and ride whatever I could as slowly as I had to and quit when I needed to - anything to feel like I was moving. Turned out that conditions were A++ - aside from a couple of small pines that look like they were bent over by the weight of now-melted snow, it was as good or better than it's been all year and completely clear. I know it's supposed to rain this weekend, but if anyone has the chance to get out today, it's worth the trip: 20+ miles of actual dry dirt!

Wharton1.jpg

Wharton2.jpg

Wharton3.jpg

sandman

If you're riding Wharton this weekend. Please stay off the hiking trails. And please remember to stay off the single track sections of the Batona.

Hiking trails are marked by colored squares on the post or a slash of paint on a tree.
Just wondering if something happened, for you to make this comment. I have noticed on strava, more and more mtb riders are using the batona. Ong's Hat to Pakim Pond is getting a lot more use. Not every one is old enough to remember the fights and battles between bikers and hikers in the early years of mtb.

MikeyBikey2000

Just wondering if something happened, for you to make this comment. I have noticed on strava, more and more mtb riders are using the batona. Ong's Hat to Pakim Pond is getting a lot more use. Not every one is old enough to remember the fights and battles between bikers and hikers in the early years of mtb.

Sorry for being a noob, only been there a few times - what is the Batona?

Karate Monkey

@MikeyBikey2000 Back to Nature trail. Hiker only trail (BIG--like 50 miles, big--by the way) of the Pinelands.

My guess? People who are 1) lost or 2) want to ride 'singletrack' on their gravel bike. One is forgiveable...though, in all honesty, not by much (signage is very clear). Two is just stupid given the overwhelming number of ACTUAL SAND ROADS between the two points, and the fact that the Orange/Blue loop is neither short, nor particularly overwhelming for a bicycle with 1.5" tires.

MikeyBikey2000

@MikeyBikey2000 Back to Nature trail. Hiker only trail (BIG--like 50 miles, big--by the way) of the Pinelands.

My guess? People who are 1) lost or 2) want to ride 'singletrack' on their gravel bike. One is forgiveable...though, in all honesty, not by much (signage is very clear). Two is just stupid given the overwhelming number of ACTUAL SAND ROADS between the two points, and the fact that the Orange/Blue loop is neither short, nor particularly overwhelming for a bicycle with 1.5" tires.
Got ya, thanks!

JDurk

Saw 2 riders I follow on Strava rode on it today.

Karate Monkey

You should tell them that the rangers will fine them.

Because they will.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but there's literally no point to riding your bike on that trail. The sand roads go to the exact same places, and are easily rideable on the margins. The roads are listed (if not all named) on OSM.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hikers have been commenting/complaining about the amount of bicyclists on the the hiking only single track sections of the Batona. I understand that the problem is very bad on the Ongs Hat to Pakim Pond sections in Brendan Byrne Forest. And it is beginning to become a problem in Wharton Forest.

And yeah to what @Karate Monkey says. The State Park Police will write you a ticket. And it will likely not be a cheap ticket.

Last edited:

sandman

Hikers have been commenting/complaining about the amount of bicyclists on the the hiking only single track sections of the Batona. I understand that the problem is very bad on the Ongs Hat to Pakim Pond sections in Brendan Byrne Forest. And it is beginning to become a problem in Wharton Forest.

And yeah to what @Karate Monkey says. The State Park Police will write you a ticket. And it will likely not be a cheap ticket.
It's a new " I don't care " attitude.
I'm no saint, but use your head.

sandman

Just when you thought, enough said. NJ post a video on Wharton. When it gets to the part about the BATONA. It says, 50 mile trail, for hiking, equestrian, mountain biking. Maybe not there intent, but confusion will surely follow.

JDurk

Just when you thought, enough said. NJ post a video on Wharton. When it gets to the part about the BATONA. It says, 50 mile trail, for hiking, equestrian, mountain biking. Maybe not there intent, but confusion will surely follow.
Someone shared that NJ.com video on FB yesterday and noticed the exact same thing.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions