Wawayanda State Park Conditions

aedubber

Anyone been here lately at all? I was thinking about taking a ride this thrusday , i dont mind some mud or whatever , i do have a mountain bike right ;) Ive never been on here so looking to explore.

JerseyPete

Waywayanda 8/30

Anyone been here lately at all? I was thinking about taking a ride this thrusday , i dont mind some mud or whatever , i do have a mountain bike right ;) Ive never been on here so looking to explore.

I just spoke with a ranger and the park is still closed. The campsites are still closed and there is standing water (small ponds) on the trails. They told me to call later in the week for an updated status.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
^^ can you get across the pipeline to Pines now (e.g. from Rattlesnake or Tombstone)? I was there a month ago and it was piled too high with dirt. What about at the bottom of Splitrock, can you get across?

Panhead

^^ can you get across the pipeline to Pines now (e.g. from Rattlesnake or Tombstone)? I was there a month ago and it was piled too high with dirt. What about at the bottom of Splitrock, can you get across?

Last week it was Pines was clear, looked like the pipe was already past splitrock.

JerseyPete

I camped out there last night and the trails looked good, even though every thing is still pretty damp. They opened the lake flood gates a little too from the one lake.
I saw 3 pairs of riders last night as well. One pair had a head light pretty bright to cut through the woods. The others were just winging it.

jimf

Conditions as of 10/15

This is likely dated now, but I figured I would note the downed trees and damage on two of the trails I hit on Saturday afternoon. We road hoferlein -> double pond -> Plymouth lane -> banker -> cherry -> sitting bear -> black eagle -> hoferlein back to ranger

1. Hoferlein - good with the exception of the low lying section that is always wet.
2. Double pond - sloppy, but its never dry even when the rest of the park is
3.Plymouth lane - smaller bridges are in bad shape and have been shifted quite a bit due rains. Sections around the bridges were pretty wet on Saturday
4. Banker - 4 different downed trees
5. cherry - no issues
6. sitting bear - some wet spots, but good overall
7. black eagle - one downed tree.

After today, I would assume that everything that was wet on Saturday is a bit worse.

jimf

any update on the conditions and access south of Cherry Ridge Road?

Rode the racecourse today, including tombstone to pines and back across to the gas line to the new trail used in the spring cleaning race(no idea what its called, it connects white dot to the gasline trail not the actually gas line) The conditions were good, still some wet spots and the gasline crossing from tombstone to pines is a mess, a huge(15 - 20 high) pile of dirt is right at the exit of tombstome. We climbed over it however that was likely a bad call. You would be better off riding down rattlesnake for a bit and then crossing over the gas line and riding back up to pines. That section is clear and fairly dry. Red dot two bridges is wet but not so bad that you cannot cross. Watch out for the puddle in front of the 2nd bridge if your coming from the cherry ridge side, its way deeper then it appears.

We ran into a couple of the gas line workers and apparently they are going to be there for some time to come. I had hoped they were wrapping up but it looks like rains threw their schedule off. They really wrecked rattlesnake, cut out nice chunks of 3 of the switchbacks.

crash

Yup. The pipeline workers were out in force today also. Don't they know it's the sabbath?
I will try parts of the race course, your route south of cherry ridge next time. Today enjoyed that Laurel Pond Trail, what a hoot, then cut over on Double Pond. Tell you what, I thought I was going to run into Troy "choot it lizabeth" Landry from Pierre Part, LA out there trying to bag big alligators. Got to the corner of Hoeferlin and Double Pond, hadn't been out there since 1993. Cherry Ridge is a great access trail to all sorts of tasty stuff.

herbn

Any good current maps for waywayonda? Rode there yesterday and shown a new(to me) trail,i saw the enterence on my last ride there (on cherryridge ridge across from a slightly older trail)but didn't persue it. Seems like there's a loop in there that you can get stuck in if you don't make the right exit turns ,and a couple one direction sections, i was got slightly dropped and made a wrong(different turn) from what the group did. I got a bit lost and totally involved and somehow crossed a fireroad without knowing it because when i finally came out onto trail that i was familiar with i was on an unexpected side of the cherryridge circle. Would love to see a gps map of that stuff just to figure out how that happened.I actually like getting lost on trail rides,doesn't happen much after 20+ years of riding mtb in the jersey/ny area.

crash

Cherry Ridge, Lookout (white dot) east to west, laurel pond down, and red dot up, all in good shape except two bridges is totally swamped and that water is cold now. Didn't venture as far south as the pipeline crossings. Ranger told me she has no idea when the work there will be finished up.

jimf

Conditions as of 11/12

Rode the attached loop, everything is in great shape with the following exceptions.

1. Eastern spur of red dot has two trees down.
2. Just past nature jims going toward cherry ridge has a downed tree.
3. All of red dot has really deep leaf cover, much more than the rest of the park
4. Two bridge is wet, however if you blast thru(coming from cherry) and stay right on the approach to the first bridge, then left after the second its not too bad, if your left on the second its soaked feet, no doubt.
5. gasline work appears to be done, however crossing are still pretty sloppy

Splitrock is the sickest trail in waway and quite possibly in North Jersey. This park deserves way more love then it gets, so happy its in my backyard.

Attachments

• wayway3.jpg
    wayway3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 511

jimf

4. Two bridge is wet, however if you blast thru(coming from cherry) and stay right on the approach to the first bridge, then left after the second its not too bad, if your left on the second its soaked feet, no doubt.

Meant right after the second bridge, it is deceptively deep on the right, hub depth on a 26 in rim

crash

Jim,

Thanx for the tips. I always heed the beta from the locals.

I also expect to find some wet areas on this labyrinth of networked trails. (“Wawayanda” is Lenape for “winding, winding water” or “water on the mountain”.)

I am trying to construct a route from your jpg.

Start at Old Coal Trailhead off of Clinton Road. Red Blaze.
At about .5 mile, the trail splits. Bearfort Waters Trail, Yellow Blaze, splits to the left. Continue on Red Blaze to the right.

Shortly after this, pass an unmarked woods road on your right.
Where does this end up? I think near the neighborhood on Cherry Ridge Road.

Continue straight on Old Coal Trail which is now marked with standard Issue Wawayanda Trail markings, a red diamond.

Pass another unmarked trail on your left (marked with a cairn). No name? Where does this end up or start out?

Then some stone walls/fences, then right after that, and another unnamed trail on your right, again marked with a cairn. Where does this end up?
Does it make it all the way Cherry Ridge Trail. Marked with the familiar black diamond.

At about 1.4 mile, there is a trail on the left with a sign “Thirsty Dog”. Where does this end up or start at?

Shortly after that, there is another trail on the left with a sign “Split Rock”. Where did you pick on your ride?

Then another trail named “Buddha” is on your left.
Where does that end up or start at?

At about 1.7 miles, intersect with green diamond Turkey Ridge Trail on your left – marked with familiar green diamond.

Who named these trails?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions