Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Dirt Dawg

The bugs by the Cherry Ridge circle as we were gearing up to ride were insane! And they hurt like hell too. Are they around all summer or just this time of the season?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I noticed too that my car got swarmed with deer flies when I pulled in. I waited 5 minutes before getting out and they went away. Bugs were not too bad out riding as long you did not stop. I also sprayed with citronella.

crash

it is particularly bad right now. once the weather breaks it will be better. But I go big on the Deet anyway.

Also, because of the mild winter and warm spring it is an unusually big tick season.

hope for a cold and dry winter to cull the insect population for next summer.

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
anyone have an update? is it packed snow, ice or something else that i have not even heard of yet.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
A solid base of snow 6-10 inches. Snowmobiles are running, so with some freeze thaw, snowmobile tracks may become rideable. In the mean time, it may be more suitable for winter sports.

Blk06CompIRL

any condition updates for this location? i know everywhere is more or less shot for a ride sunday morning but figured i would ask for here as no trail conditions posted in a while.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I have not been up the hill to Waway this week but Ringwood is still snow covered and extremely wet as of yesterday. Waway had much more snow than RW.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thumbs up!

Rode Wawayanda today. 16 degrees at the start!! Banker Circle to Porcupine to Rockadendron to MoJo to Fishermans to Pickle to Rattlesnake to Pines to Thirsty Dog to Split Rock to Wall and back to Banker. Everything was frozen solid. No snow on the trails other than a couple of sections hidden from the sun, but those patches were solid. May post up pics a bit later.

Most of the water crossings were iced over, and you'd best walk these. Some small sections of trail had patches of ice, but you could easily spot them.

In terms of blowdowns, awesome job by Jeff and everyone else that chipped in. Only a couple that we came across:

1) A tangle of blowdowns near the very top of Rattlesnake. We rode the gas line for the last 100 yards.

2) One blowdown near the junction of the hill that leads to Buddha and the trail that leads to Thirsty Dog. Walk under (but it's tight)

3) One blowdown on Thirsty Dog. Walk under.

huffster

Thanks for this update. Been wanting to get there, but my last to visits attempts were met with deep slush and then deep snow. So, I will sneak out today and get me some Way-way before the big storm this weekend.

MannyL358

Thanks for this update. Been wanting to get there, but my last to visits attempts were met with deep slush and then deep snow. So, I will sneak out today and get me some Way-way before the big storm this weekend.

Welcome to the board Huffster! I was there yesterday and it's rideable .

huffster

Welcome to the board Huffster! I was there yesterday and it's rideable .

Thanks! I felt like this board might be the reason why the New Jersey forum on MTBR gets so little action. Lots of localized knowledge here. Hopefully, I can contribute.

I rode today at Wawayanda. About 1" of snow on everything from the dustings over the past week. Nice and powdery. Slippery in some spots, but good riding.

huffster

I took a chance that enough snow had melted over the past couple weeks to get in a good ride. I did manage a decent ride, but considering the conditions at nearby places like Ringwood, Sterling Forest and Jungle Habitat, there is still a surprising amount of snow at Wawa. I got out early to take advantage of hard ground. For most of the ride there were light flurries. It was 28 degrees at the start.

There are some patches where dirt is showing, but there are more places where there are still a few inches of snow. The more traveled (hiked) trails like Banker, Sitting Bear, Double Pond, The Wall, Cherry Ridge, Mojo Swamp were packed down making for ridable conditions with some icy sections.

Trails like Cedar Swamp, which is much less traveled, involved a substantial amount of "hike-a-bike". Cedar Swamp was a bad choice altogether, but it was more of a curiousity thing since I had avoided it for over a year since the boardwalk was completely wrecked by Hurricane Irene. There are a couple big trees down too.

There was some limited evidence of a few other bikes - not many. There were no other cars at the parking near Cherry Ridge/Banker when I arrived. There was only 1 other car when I left.

Overall, you can get in a good ride. I was out of the woods by 10:00am and sections that were starting to get sun, were getting soft. So, ride early provided it gets cold overnight.

If I had my choice of equipment for these conditions, I would have a fat bike with studded tires...but I don't.

Thin Diesel

That other car at Ferber was me. Your summary of conditions was accurate I'd say trails were 90%+ snow covered. Many trails I took we're not traveled and very tough even on my fat bike. Some trails were hard pack snow that was very rideable and very fun. I was looking for snow to ride on today and found more than I expected

Thin Diesel

some pix from waway today. the ice on the split rock bridge was too sketchy for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0052x.jpg
    IMG_0052x.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0058x.jpg
    IMG_0058x.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0056x.jpg
    IMG_0056x.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0059x.jpg
    IMG_0059x.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0060x.jpg
    IMG_0060x.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 317

Thin Diesel

I am having a blast on the fat bike. Fortunately this has been a good winter to have one. I've been able to ride stuff with it that would not be doable on a regular bike. Having a bike that does well in snow has me hoping for more of it. Normally I'd just be hoping for a mild winter. Now I can enjoy what the season brings and still get my riding in.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
^^ Nice pics, looks like you had those trails to yourself bike-wise. Thirsty must have been fun.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions